Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do Supercharger Stations Also Perform Standard and Twin 50amp Charging? They Should!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm guessing you can't do standard 50amp charging at the supercharger locations which would push many loyal Tesla owners to RV parks and 3rd party charger networks if they need to travel long distances and charge their cars. I can understand they want to push people to buy the supercharger upgrade but if this was the case they shouldn't have raised the price on everyone that didn't order it like that from the factory. Tesla should atleast honor the original pricing since they never told buyers back then that you can't even do regular charging at any Tesla charging location.

Who sells a car that can't even use its own companies charging locations!!!?

P.S. If you can do regular charging at Supercharger locations then please forget this entire rant.

Well, I think the idea was for folks who would never drive their car beyond a round trip from their house they could save some money by not having the supercharger bits installed. But yes there are no L2 chargers at the supercharger sites. This mostly upsets Roadster owners where supercharging isn't even an option. The problem is that any car could use an L2 charger even if it has a Tesla plug on it and I'm sure Tesla doesn't want to be giving away free charges to other vendors cars.

I'm guessing you can't do standard 50amp charging at the supercharger locations which would push many loyal Tesla owners to RV parks and 3rd party charger networks if they need to travel long distances and charge their cars. I can understand they want to push people to buy the supercharger upgrade but if this was the case they shouldn't have raised the price on everyone that didn't order it like that from the factory. Tesla should atleast honor the original pricing since they never told buyers back then that you can't even do regular charging at any Tesla charging location.

Who sells a car that can't even use its own companies charging locations!!!?

P.S. If you can do regular charging at Supercharger locations then please forget this entire rant.

First, what is standard 50A charging? I've never heard of this. I also don't know what you mean by twin 50amp charging?

Second, no one is being pushed to buy the supercharging upgrade. It is standard -- no extra cost -- in 85 kWh battery packs and is an option for the 60s, with folks who live in areas that don't have SCs not buying the option, for now. People can decide for themselves whether they want to spring for the option or not. Really a cost benefit decision and weighing the value of your time and the potential increase in resale value long-term. To each his own.

Third, for those 60 owners who didn't buy the option, they had a clear choice: either purchase it before taking delivery for $2K, or $2.5K after. Tesla has apparently made a business decision that enough 60 owners aren't opting for the $2.5K after-delivery option, so they've lowered the price. I don't see anything wrong with that or any admission of prior wrongdoing. Just a business decision reflecting that few people were taking the after-delivery option.

Fourth, why on earth would Tesla want to make L2 chargers, that any EV could use, available at all supercharging stations?? Tesla never said that "regular charging" was available at all supercharging stations, but more imporantly, "regular charging" is available just about anywhere in the U.S. and often for free -- if you want to sit and charge for hours and hours and hours. Why do you need to go to a Supercharger location just to use a L2 charger??

Finally, FWIW, at the Gilroy superchargers, there are a couple of Level 2 chargers adjacent to the Tesla superchargers. So if some 60 owner who didn't want to pay for the supercharger access wants to pull up and hook into Level 2 and watch all of the other Model S cars use the superchargers while the person using the L2 charrger waits all day to get a full charge, they are welcome to do that. Also, at the Atascadero superchargers, there is a Level 2 charger (with 70A no less) in the same parking lot.

first, if you want to use the superchargers, then buy the access to the superchargers. they never said they were putting generic outlets on these. why would they do that anyway? should tesla pay for "free gas" for the rest of the world? No. to install these superchargers costs A LOT of money. how do they help pay for it? by people paying for supercharger access when they buy the car. its a one-time fee. and by buying it, you are helping expand the supercharger network so they can install more superchargers.

second, they clearly state on their web site that it's going to cost more after delivery.
sc1.png

lastly, you're in luck, because they are 'temporarily' offering the original pricing if you didn't order it with the car. better buy now or spend $500 more later.
sc2.png

- - - Updated - - -

First, what is standard 50A charging? I've never heard of this. I also don't know what you mean by twin 50amp charging?

Second, no one is being pushed to buy the supercharging upgrade. It is standard -- no extra cost -- in 85 kWh battery packs and is an option for the 60s, with folks who live in areas that don't have SCs not buying the option, for now. People can decide for themselves whether they want to spring for the option or not. Really a cost benefit decision and weighing the value of your time and the potential increase in resale value long-term. To each his own.

Third, for those 60 owners who didn't buy the option, they had a clear choice: either purchase it before taking delivery for $2K, or $2.5K after. Tesla has apparently made a business decision that enough 60 owners aren't opting for the $2.5K after-delivery option, so they've lowered the price. I don't see anything wrong with that or any admission of prior wrongdoing. Just a business decision reflecting that few people were taking the after-delivery option.

Fourth, why on earth would Tesla want to make L2 chargers, that any EV could use, available at all supercharging stations?? Tesla never said that "regular charging" was available at all supercharging stations, but more imporantly, "regular charging" is available just about anywhere in the U.S. and often for free -- if you want to sit and charge for hours and hours and hours. Why do you need to go to a Supercharger location just to use a L2 charger??

Finally, FWIW, at the Gilroy superchargers, there are a couple of Level 2 chargers adjacent to the Tesla superchargers. So if some 60 owner who didn't want to pay for the supercharger access wants to pull up and hook into Level 2 and watch all of the other Model S cars use the superchargers while the person using the L2 charrger waits all day to get a full charge, they are welcome to do that. Also, at the Atascadero superchargers, there is a Level 2 charger (with 70A no less) in the same parking lot.

hah, I was typing and watching TV at the same time taking me longer to post. you beat me to it :) funny how similar we were thinking though

hah, I was typing and watching TV at the same time taking me longer to post. you beat me to it :) funny how similar we were thinking though

Seriously, right? Why would Tesla pay for this expensive infrastructure just to put a Level 2 plug on it?? And even if it were possible to put a L2 plug on a supercharger bay (like having two chargers in one), can you imagine how many furious MS owners there would be if there were a caucophony of Leafs parked at all of the supercharger bays for hours and hours on end??

Wowor, sorry to be so dismissive on your first post (welcome to TMC, by the way), but I think you're barking up the wrong tree. I think you really need to get out and see some of these superchargers and do a bit more research before criticizing Tesla on this.

Thanks bigd. I am going to add supercharging to my cart for the 2,000 before it goes back up! When I bought my Tesla the entire supercharger network was nothing but a far away dream so its usefullness and practicality was not known; plus, at the time in early 2012 they never said prices might go up after delivery. That statement is a 2013 addition to their website. Kudos to Tesla for letting the early Model S adopters not pay a penalty to join the highway charging network when superchargers didn't even exist when they bought their car. I have to go spend 2k now.

the early ones(60kWhr) were grandfathered in and got SC for free

I think I finally get the point of your question. wow that took me a while. was thrown by the regular and 50 Amp, since it is really only 40 Amp unless you have the dual inverters. But having a space near the Superchargers for slow charging would be nice, even if it wasn't a Tesla plug. Think how that would make Tesla look to other EV owners. It would be possible that someone doesn't need a quick Supercharge or is planning on staying in an area for longer than they should occupy a SC space
But the SCs are supreme compared to other charging(besides overnight at home:smile:)

Last edited:
Seriously, right? Why would Tesla pay for this expensive infrastructure just to put a Level 2 plug on it?? And even if it were possible to put a L2 plug on a supercharger bay (like having two chargers in one), can you imagine how many furious MS owners there would be if there were a caucophony of Leafs parked at all of the supercharger bays for hours and hours on end??

I can give two reasons why Tesla could/should put a 70 amp charger in at the Super charger locations. The first is it would be far cheaper than adding another super charger slot and there are many stories about a Model S tying up a supercharger slot for far longer than they needed for a charge. The second reason is to show support for the many Roadster owners who help get the company started.

To limit Leaf and other cars from using the stations use a Model S plug then sell an adapter to Roadster owners.

The cost would be trivial while installing superchargers and yet garner a lot of good will showing Tesla will fully support a 2 year old model.

I can give two reasons why Tesla could/should put a 70 amp charger in at the Super charger locations. The first is it would be far cheaper than adding another super charger slot and there are many stories about a Model S tying up a supercharger slot for far longer than they needed for a charge. The second reason is to show support for the many Roadster owners who help get the company started.

To limit Leaf and other cars from using the stations use a Model S plug then sell an adapter to Roadster owners.

The cost would be trivial while installing superchargers and yet garner a lot of good will showing Tesla will fully support a 2 year old model.

That is more or less the current status at the Arastradero SC where you have a Clipper Creek 70A station although not with a Tesla only plug so you still have the risk of waiting on a Leaf or Volt after driving for a couple hours. I don't know what the cost would be for each of these stations and how many Roadsters are actually planning long distance drives to warrant an expenditure that amounts to a "thank you" to Roadster owners (since there really isn't any marketing upside to this since not selling Roadsters any longer)?

This won't work because it's still using J1772 signaling. It would be trivial for someone to build a Model S to J1772 cable so non-Tesla cars could use the charger. I'm a Roadster owner. I get it. I wish they would figure out a way to offer 70A charging to Roadsters but I'm guessing it's not as simple as we think.

Thanks bigd. I am going to add supercharging to my cart for the 2,000 before it goes back up! When I bought my Tesla the entire supercharger network was nothing but a far away dream so its usefullness and practicality was not known; plus, at the time in early 2012 they never said prices might go up after delivery. That statement is a 2013 addition to their website. Kudos to Tesla for letting the early Model S adopters not pay a penalty to join the highway charging network when superchargers didn't even exist when they bought their car. I have to go spend 2k now.

I agree, I definitely thought there would be a handful of superchargers in California built within the next few years from its launch. Now theres 25, and thats supposed to double by the beginning of 2014. $2000 or$2500 still is pricey, you would have to charge like 400 times to get the value of electric. But I guess that shows whats to be said for the convenience.