Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do the non-adjustable shoulder strap work for you?

What do you think of the non-adjustable shoulder strap on the Model S?

• The shoulder strap fits me just perfect (who needs it being adjustable?)

Votes: 13 31.0%
  • I tolerate the lack of adustment for my chaffing strap of a seat belt (but would prefer adjustment)

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • The seat belt doesn't ride on my shoulder well and something must be done about it

Votes: 12 28.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Reeler

Decade of Pure EV Driving
Oct 14, 2015
Denver, CO
Every car I have driven in over the last 10 years has an adjustable shoulder strap for the front seat belts. This avoids the belt from cutting into your neck. The Model X has adjustment and I presume the Model 3 will too. Why not the Model S?

Tesla needs to have adjustment as I call the seat belt a "chaffing strap." We are in the 21st century and there are some things we take for granted even in the compact econobox segment let alone in a high-end car like the Model S.

Reactions: newtman
I was surprised to see that there was no seatbelt adjustment in the Model S, but I was equally surprised to discover that the belt worked out fine for both my wife (5'1") and myself (5'10"). So, we went ahead and made the purchase.

We're really big on ergo, so we probably wouldn't have bought the car if we had been forced into the next gen seats (ordered just before the regular seats were killed off) and the non-adjustable seatbelt turned out to be uncomfortable.

We're really big on ergo, so we probably wouldn't have bought the car if we had been forced into the next gen seats (ordered just before the regular seats were killed off) and the non-adjustable seatbelt turned out to be uncomfortable.

So the next gen seats without adjustment didn't work, only the first gen ones did? I am going with textile seats as I cannot stand leather unless ventilated (like the Model X).

The non adjustable headrests is also an issue in Asian markets, for obvious reasons.

It seems Tesla started out with basic stuff as they didn't design a solution. Adjustable headrest require more engineering (as do adjustable shoulder straps), but please provide the basics before we get useless gull wing doors and glitzy stuff like that.

At this point, Tesla needs to get to basic things like adjustable headrests/shoulder straps, sunglass holder, better cupholders in front and add some in the back seat, storage in the doors, lighted visor mirrors, blind-spot detection that works, etc.

I would be driving a Model X except for the gimmicky gull wing doors (my wife drives ours).

Reactions: newtman
So the next gen seats without adjustment didn't work, only the first gen ones did? I am going with textile seats as I cannot stand leather unless ventilated (like the Model X).
The belts didn't conflict with the next gen seats, no. The issue with the next gen seats was that the side bolstering went up too far and pushed my wife's shoulders forward, which aggravated her back. Thankfully, we were able to order with the standard gray leather seats shortly before they were discontinued late last year.

The belts didn't conflict with the next gen seats, no. The issue with the next gen seats was that the side bolstering went up too far and pushed my wife's shoulders forward, which aggravated her back. Thankfully, we were able to order with the standard gray leather seats shortly before they were discontinued late last year.

The textile seats are somewhere between gen 1 and next gen when it comes to the bolstering. You can still buy those and put aftermarket leather on them.

upload_2016-5-8_18-44-43.png

Model 3 has adjustable shoulder straps. Model S will officially be the ghetto Tesla missing key features of the product line.

If you are short, raise the seat until you can see the front edge of the hood. Or if you have a tall spouse, measure the distance from the top of their head to the roof and then adjust the seat until you have the same gap between the top of your head and the roof. I have no neck irritation since I did that.

Reactions: hybridbear
I've only driven two Model Ss for relatively short periods, but I didn't even think about the seat belts, they seemed to hit me just fine. But I'm usually much more concerned about my legs. A lot of cars become agony driving on long trips because I can't get the driver's seat adjusted for enough leg room. The Model S is one of only three cars I looked at that the seat went back too far.

I'm 6'2", but most of my height is in my legs. I went with the body color roof because there was enough headroom for me without the pano roof and I don't like glass roofs.

It's a nag in the neck, yes. I'll say I'm long legged relative to torso length (6', 33.25" inseam). I use a buckle from a track harness set, but think "rink dink" may be better because it looks like the lap length adjusts more easily (this solution changes the point of origin along your waste leftward, up toward the B-pillar). When musk went out the back stage door of one of his talk show appearances, it was good to see he had the problem, too, climbing into the passenger seat.

I have the issue in all three seats (ltrh, txtl, next gen). As for safety out on a track, the only time you get rejected is when the angle of approach to your shoulder would result in compressing your spine (as in, too low on the B-pillar). Model S is so high, I can't imagine anyone's shoulders that far up. Somebody with a REAL long torso might need it.

If you are short, raise the seat until you can see the front edge of the hood. Or if you have a tall spouse, measure the distance from the top of their head to the roof and then adjust the seat until you have the same gap between the top of your head and the roof. I have no neck irritation since I did that.

Yes, this works well, but when you raise your seat, it does become a little more difficult to get into your car due to the lower profile of the side window and the raised seat. Solution - create an exit driver profile where your seat goes back and down and steering wheel goes up. After you get in the car, you change your driver profile back to your preferred driving position.