Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do the P cars have more aggressive throttle mapping, in addition to the horsepower?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering because I haven't driven any P cars. There has been speculation that Tesla may have remapped throttle tip-in sometime last year to help stop drive unit failure. My 70D definitely feels "lazier" on the first bit of pedal travel than I remember a lowly Nissan Leaf being. The Leaf had a more instantaneous throttle, while my car feels like it is purposely ramping up acceleration slowly at first to perhaps reduce wear on the driveline.

Maybe it's all my imagination. But if it isn't - I'm wondering if the P cars are any different - ie more instantaneous throttle response in the first bit of pedal travel.

The non P cars acceleration feels very linear (no sudden push with wide open throttle application). The P cars feel logarithmic, ramping up almost instantly to max output.

P = fun fun fun
non P = nice family car

using power tools, from memory, the 70D pulled about 1/2 the amps (247) of the P90 which will do 489 with max battery enabled
90 SOC.jpg

To be clear, I don't think the OP is asking about differences in power or torque (or Amps) in the P cars. That would be OT

The question is about how the siftware maps accelerator pedal position to the torque command sent to the motors/inverters. This map usually varies with vehicle speed.

Automakers and customers seem to love aggressive maps, so that the driver gets lots of torque at small "throttle openings." This gives the feel of a very powerful car, at the expense of fine control of the torque.

GSP

Reactions: calisnow