Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you recommend new MY alignment or other immediate service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For a newly delivered MY (Dec 2023) - what would be the immediate service items?

Given this is around Holiday times when shops are super busy - what would be immediate checks/service you would look to get done on new Y?
Is wheel alignment advised?
Any other potential service?

TIA! - hopefully this helps other new Y owners as well

The alignment is tough... there have been a lot of cases of new cars needing alignment, which resulted in significant uneven wear, even to the point of losing the first tires much earlier than expected.

On the flipside, you could be throwing $200 down the drain for an alignment you don't need.

Reactions: AJ..
The alignment is tough... there have been a lot of cases of new cars needing alignment, which resulted in significant uneven wear, even to the point of losing the first tires much earlier than expected.

On the flipside, you could be throwing $200 down the drain for an alignment you don't need.

Can Tesla delivery do anything? Like a pre check to say whether it needs alignment in immediate timeframe or not? (I guess may be not)

Can’t they have some tech to display it on screen the state of current alignment? Will be so cool

Is there a way a mechanic can tell? (I know the driving sideways on even flat road stuff but may not be that obvious initially)

Agreed. If you're having your alignment checked by a machine, you're halfway done in performing a machine alignment whether you needed it or not. It is possible to check whether or not you need an alignment in the first place. In Arizona, Big-O will check your alignment for free but when I lived in Connecticut there were no Big O. You also mentioned that shops are super busy.

Your options are:
  • risk uneven and early wearing,
  • pay up, risking $200 down the drain,
  • or you can also check your alignment for free using a string and ruler (or finding a Big O) and then
    • know that there is no uneven/early wearing or,
    • know that you really need to go spend ~$200 and get an alignment. I paid less than half that for my last computerized alignment.

Agreed. If you're having your alignment checked by a machine, you're halfway done in performing a machine alignment whether you needed it or not. It is possible to check whether or not you need an alignment in the first place. In Arizona, Big-O will check your alignment for free but when I lived in Connecticut there were no Big O. You also mentioned that shops are super busy.

Your options are:
  • risk uneven and early wearing,
  • pay up, risking $200 down the drain,
  • or you can also check your alignment for free using a string and ruler (or finding a Big O) and then
    • know that there is no uneven/early wearing or,
    • know that you really need to go spend ~$200 and get an alignment. I paid less than half that for my last computerized alignment.

1. What is Big O? I’m in CT too so would be curious if I travel near “Big O” can take a shot there.

2. I last paid 125$ so not as bad. Problem is immediate travel and holiday super busy schedule at shops.

I've been driving cheap ass Chevy pickups for the past 40+ years. Have not needed an alignment since the 1970's. Are you people saying this so-called luxury Tesla MYLR I just bought might need an alignment? That's sad.

I've been driving cheap ass Chevy pickups for the past 40+ years. Have not needed an alignment since the 1970's. Are you people saying this so-called luxury Tesla MYLR I just bought might need an alignment? That's sad.

Sportier vehicles tend to have testier suspensions. I'm no pro, so don't take my word for it... but I think your typical pickup truck or entry level vehicle only needs an alignment if you really whack a tire (e.g. slide sideways into a curb on an icy road).

There are trade-offs with various suspension types. Great handling and "never needs an alignment" might be mutually exclusive. I've never had an alignment done before owning a Model 3.

Tesla factory alignments are always out of wack. They are clearly rushed, and tons of people have issues with the steering wheel not being centered after delivery, even if the car drives straight.

I've never had this problem on any other new car I've purchased. Just the two Teslas I've had.

Every car needs an alignment at some point, whether it be a Kia Forte, a 1982 Chevy Pickup, or a BMW 760i. If the wheels are toe'd wrong, the tires are going to wear prematurely.