Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does ABRP know about the Seattle/Bainbridge ferry?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm expecting somebody will point out something obvious and I'll have a facepalm moment, but here goes...

I'm trying to do a trip from Kirkland to Union, WA, with a waypoint on Bainbridge Island. Basically, I want to use the Seattle/BI ferry. Not a long trip and doesn't really need ABRP to plan it, but I like putting things in their anyhow just in case it will surprise me with something I didn't think of. But ABRP insists on sending me from Kirkland to Edmonds, ferry to Kingston, then drive to BI, then BI to Union. So it clearly has some knowledge of ferries, but it doesn't want me to use the Seattle/BI ferry?

Note: I have also tried adding Colman Dock as a waypoint before the BI stop, but it sends me Kirkland -> Colman -> Edmonds -ferry-> Kingston -> BI etc; so even more silly than before. It looks like it either doesn't know about the BI ferry or is jonesing for the Kingston ferry.

I usually put the ferry dock I’m leaving from and arriving at and have had no issues. I just did an ABRP for Kirkland to Seattle ferry terminal (and they did not have the Seattle to Bainbridge listed but did have Seattle to Bremerton so that was weird) to Bainbridge ferry terminal - it did what you said, took me to Seattle then Edmonds ferry then Bainbridge ferry terminal then Union. Something is wrong with ABRP.

I'm expecting somebody will point out something obvious and I'll have a facepalm moment, but here goes...

I'm trying to do a trip from Kirkland to Union, WA, with a waypoint on Bainbridge Island. Basically, I want to use the Seattle/BI ferry. Not a long trip and doesn't really need ABRP to plan it, but I like putting things in their anyhow just in case it will surprise me with something I didn't think of. But ABRP insists on sending me from Kirkland to Edmonds, ferry to Kingston, then drive to BI, then BI to Union. So it clearly has some knowledge of ferries, but it doesn't want me to use the Seattle/BI ferry?

Note: I have also tried adding Colman Dock as a waypoint before the BI stop, but it sends me Kirkland -> Colman -> Edmonds -ferry-> Kingston -> BI etc; so even more silly than before. It looks like it either doesn't know about the BI ferry or is jonesing for the Kingston ferry.
Just a case of needing to be smarter than the technology. I think you figured it out.

abrp has been awesome, but I cannot help but feel that it has gone downhill in the last year or so, at least for me. It's range calculations used to be very accurate, and I loved the ability when it used google maps to drag and drop on the map to alter a route, basically point and click waypoints. It made for awesome "what-if" route planning. My biggest gripe though is that the last few trips I have used it, it has been grossly pessimistic regarding range estimates. To mimic recent real life trips in abrp, I have to set the "reference consumption @ 65mph" down to about 230Wh/mi for our Model S, which to me seems nuts.