Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone have definitive written communication confirming that the Mobile Charging Connector change will affect only new orders?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see a bunch of guesses based on the series of Tweets, but nothing definitive. And as I am waiting on my order I placed in November, and had a 14-50 plug installed in reliance on the list of included equipment at my reserved price, as that rate of charging is all I will need, I would like to know.

Whether this is a good decision for Tesla moving forward is irrelevant to this thread, as the thread is for people who have already ordered, and were counting on using the included charger at home, because it worked for them.

Any posts on why we should have chosen a Tesla wall charger, or tales of how you never used your Mobile charger, are unhelpful and unwelcome. This thread is just to confirm what is going on with already existing orders placed before this announced change.

Reactions: DrGriz
I see a bunch of guesses based on the series of Tweets, but nothing definitive. And as I am waiting on my order I placed in November, and had a 14-50 plug installed in reliance on the list of included equipment at my reserved price, as that rate of charging is all I will need, I would like to know.

Whether this is a good decision for Tesla moving forward is irrelevant to this thread, as the thread is for people who have already ordered, and were counting on using the included charger at home, because it worked for them.

Any posts on why we should have chosen a Tesla wall charger, or tales of how you never used your Mobile charger, are unhelpful and unwelcome. This thread is just to confirm what is going on with already existing orders placed before this announced change.
I dont know if anyone knows with 100% certainty. I exchanged a few emails with my SA this morning and his exact words were:

"we have not received any communication at this time that the bundle is being removed from the vehicles & is still being included at the production level"

I have also seen others post things to the same extent. I am wondering the same thing though, as i am expecting my order within the next few weeks (hopefully).

I dont know if anyone knows with 100% certainty. I exchanged a few emails with my SA this morning and his exact words were:

"we have not received any communication at this time that the bundle is being removed from the vehicles & is still being included at the production level"

I have also seen others post things to the same extent. I am wondering the same thing though, as i am expecting my order within the next few weeks (hopefully).
Well, please pop back in and let us know what you find when you take delivery. Thanks!

Reactions: DMM_M3
If I had to guess, this is what will probably happen. If you ordered it before it was an option you will get the charger. If you don't I am sure you can make a scene and they will give you one at delivery. Those who order now with the option and do not select it, wont get one.

That said, if I had an open order right now. I would go and buy one before the car comes. That way you are covered, and if it did come with one, always nice to have two. One for the car and one for home.

This is what I got from my SA:

1650293468234.png

If I had to guess, this is what will probably happen. If you ordered it before it was an option you will get the charger. If you don't I am sure you can make a scene and they will give you one at delivery. Those who order now with the option and do not select it, wont get one.

That said, if I had an open order right now. I would go and buy one before the car comes. That way you are covered, and if it did come with one, always nice to have two. One for the car and one for home.
Will consider doing this, and likely will, when/if they make the $200 kit option, including the adapters as Musk said, available to order. I need the adapter anyway, and may as well have the other adapters. I live in Idaho and in some of my travels may have to charge from a variety of RV park or other like options, as once you are off the main highways/freeways, there is not much there.

Also, will be nice to just have a cord there at the ready in my spot in the garage.

One of the main reasons I went with a dedicated breaker 14-50 is that it is quite possible, and really, probable, that we will end up with a second EV down the road. And who knows made by whom? My wife might prefer a Toyota or something else. Right now, she loves her little Mazda CX-5 that has lots of miles left in it.

70k car. No mats, no homelink, 12 months of connectivity has turned into 1 month. no charging cable. you see the direction its heading.
All these addon could be addressed at the factory for an additional 500 dollars. And they preached no dealerships to save money for the customer.
And as someone mentioned, a normal non online user gets home and realizes they cant change their car and has to wait a couple of weeks to get a cable.
Almost as nuts as paying 12k for an addon that's in beta and doesn't work.

I am in the same boat. SA recommended to me at the time I placed order to go the NEMA 14-50 route. I had this installed in Jan, got the Adaptor delivered around same time. Now less than a month before EDD and it looks like I may have to buy the mobile connector. If its not included, Yes I plan on raising a stink at delivery. They are the ones that suggested I go down this route.

I don’t think I should have to make a stink. No offense to that description, at all, as it is has been a go to move for me over the years when necessary. Just I really dislike such exchanges myself anymore. And I find it disturbing to my peace and don’t feel like giving them that. Will keep an eye on things, here and elsewhere, and if the situation is still not resolved by the time I get a firm delivery date and make connection with the Boise service center and politely, but firmly, discuss it to see what help they can offer.

I don’t think I should have to make a stink. No offense to that description, at all, as it is has been a go to move for me over the years when necessary. Just I really dislike such exchanges myself anymore. And I find it disturbing to my peace and don’t feel like giving them that. Will keep an eye on things, here and elsewhere, and if the situation is still not resolved by the time I get a firm delivery date and make connection with the Boise service center and politely, but firmly, discuss it to see what help they can offer.
Sorry, when I say raise a stink, I don't mean throw a tantrum and refuse delivery until I get one. More like, I was going over my check list and notice there is no Mobile Charger. Then follow up with, how they advised me to go the 14-50 route and ask them how to solve this issue.

Sorry, when I say raise a stink, I don't mean throw a tantrum and refuse delivery until I get one. More like, I was going over my check list and notice there is no Mobile Charger. Then follow up with, how they advised me to go the 14-50 route and ask them how to solve this issue.
No apology required, and I went back to try and clarify I did not mean to criticize anyone who made a stink. Your plan sounds good. I ordered in Salt Lake City, but with delivery in Boise, so do not have that history of communication. But, it is Idaho, and mobile charging is pretty critical out here with low levels of infrastructure, cold winter temps, sometimes cold overnight summer temps, etc. So, the Boise folks should understand, and also, it was part of the included equipment when I ordered.

As of course, you already know. Good luck and keep us posted!

Yeah, well, it is sold out at the moment.

To play it safe i just ordered one on ebay. I hate spending money left and right but something tells me that if this is the truth, the secondary market will go nuts.

Worse case scenario I have two of them or I can resell later on. I am already seeing a huge disparity in prices on ebay. From 299 used all the way upwards of 500.

Reactions: SageBrush
To play it safe i just ordered one on ebay. I hate spending money left and right but something tells me that if this is the truth, the secondary market will go nuts.

Worse case scenario I have two of them or I can resell later on. I am already seeing a huge disparity in prices on ebay. From 299 used all the way upwards of 500.
Whatever works for you brother. I just can't wrap my head around the fact that a $70000 car may not come with the tool you need to actually make it work. 🤦‍♂️

We put a key on your gas cap. You can buy a key at our store for $200, but we're out now. The gas station you go to have keys and will unlock your gas tank if you need to use their pumps and pay their price. Oh, your gas station doesn't have a key? Relax, you can back order a key anytime. Most of our customers take their cars to public gas stations anyway. Oh, that camping mode on the Model Y is there so you can tell your friends it's compatible with camping and is a real SUV! What are you complaining about?