Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone have definitive written communication confirming that the Mobile Charging Connector change will affect only new orders?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We took delivery today(20Apr) of our MYLR in Portland, Or. It came with a charger cable. There were no mudflaps or rear fender flare ppf but I was told they would be installed when available for free. My inspection was cursory, less than 10 minutes, but so far I am happy. Tomorrow I will drive it home, 4 hours away, so I will be wiser then.
When did you place your order for your MYLR? Do you have FSD?

those are not options. I want to charge at home with a Tesla cord. I wont take delivery unless i see the cord in the car.
You should be fine, Tesla has now stated in writing that you will receive a mobile connector on orders placed before 4/17/22. ;)

1650588480324.png

When did you place your order for your MYLR? Do you have FSD?
Placed order on September 9. Got a VIN in November but turned it down because the infrastructure bill seemed to be possible at that time. Went active again on 1Jan and then got the usual cacophony of EDDs. Yes, got FSD for $10k. Hope I don’t regret it. I drove this car 4 hours today from Portland,OR to Grants Pass, OR. No regrets. This a whole new ballgame.
For context, we’re coming from a 2005 Prius, which was an excellent car for us, but getting a little long in tooth at 278k miles.

That's not what it says at all. It says orders after 4/17 won't include it and deliveries in the next several weeks will. It says nothing about orders before 4/17.
Actually it does.

As of April 17,
any new orders will need to purchase a charging solution
at Tesla Shop. We are still working out a solution for the
order backlog;

It says that new orders after 17 will need to purchase AND they are working on the backlog, backlog is all the orders placed before 17 that have not been delivered.

You should be fine, Tesla has now stated in writing that you will receive a mobile connector on orders placed before 4/17/22. ;)

View attachment 796285
It gives some clarification but I wouldn’t take that memo as gospel. They could easily walk back on it saying it wasn’t an official communication to the public so it doesn’t apply.

As of right now the vehicle configuration still doesn’t make any mention of mobile connector not being included nor have the option to add one to your order for $200 like Elon suggested in his tweets. No official direct communication to customers waiting on orders to say either way if they will have it or not.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Actually it does.

As of April 17,
any new orders will need to purchase a charging solution
at Tesla Shop. We are still working out a solution for the
order backlog;

It says that new orders after 17 will need to purchase AND they are working on the backlog, backlog is all the orders placed before 17 that have not been delivered.
"still working out" means they haven't got a clue what's going to happen.

I’m glad to see this appears to only affect new orders. From what I read a lot of folks use the mobile charger for their daily charging needs. It is my oponion that this isn’t a good long term solution. The 14-50 plug is an additional failure point. In the last 5 years or so of owning EV I have read many a forum post about melting plugs or melting 14-50 outlets.

I like having the Mobile connector for occasional use but for daily charging a hard wired EV charger is the best choice. So I would encourage folks who planned to use only the mobile connector to rethink this. Get a good hard wired charger (I have the gen 3 wall connector) for your daily charging and keep a mobile charger for occasional use.

I am not making excuses for Tesla here. They should include it on a vehicle at this price point.

Reactions: Sunvalleylaw
I foresee Tesla reversing this. Based on what happened to Apple in Brazil with the Fine and in EU below. I think EU would also force Tesla to do the same.

Tesla was already using a standard connector in Europe. (The Type 2 connector.) With the Model 3 and Y they moved that to the standard CCS2 connector. (Which they will likely do with the refresh S&X once they start shipping them to Europe.

But it won't change anything they do for North America.

I foresee Tesla reversing this. Based on what happened to Apple in Brazil with the Fine and in EU below. I think EU would also force Tesla to do the same.

If they wanted to put the Wall Chargers ”on sale” for us to provide an Incentive to go that way instead, I would be interested in that. and then retaining my Mobile kit, which I WILL need out in the middle at some point, for that sort of use.

Reactions: Carlitos
I’m glad to see this appears to only affect new orders. From what I read a lot of folks use the mobile charger for their daily charging needs. It is my oponion that this isn’t a good long term solution. The 14-50 plug is an additional failure point. In the last 5 years or so of owning EV I have read many a forum post about melting plugs or melting 14-50 outlets.

I like having the Mobile connector for occasional use but for daily charging a hard wired EV charger is the best choice. So I would encourage folks who planned to use only the mobile connector to rethink this. Get a good hard wired charger (I have the gen 3 wall connector) for your daily charging and keep a mobile charger for occasional use.

I am not making excuses for Tesla here. They should include it on a vehicle at this price point.
I can't say your opinion is wrong, but it is is misleading. Using the mobile connector for daily charging is just as safe as the hard wired wall connector or any other form of charging. As long as you aren't constantly plugging/unplugging the mobile connector.
I've had mine plugged in to a 14-30 outlet for the past 3 years and had zero issues. The mobile charger and Tesla adapter plugs have built in safety mechanisms to prevent overheating.
Choosing to use a hard wired wall connector or keep the mobile connector plugged in as your daily charger is based on personal preference and needs. It's just not accurate to tell people that using the mobile connector is any more dangerous than the wall connector. Both have their pros and cons, but neither is unsafe to use for daily charging.

Reactions: BGOwner and E90alex
Placed order on September 9. Got a VIN in November but turned it down because the infrastructure bill seemed to be possible at that time. Went active again on 1Jan and then got the usual cacophony of EDDs. Yes, got FSD for $10k. Hope I don’t regret it. I drove this car 4 hours today from Portland,OR to Grants Pass, OR. No regrets. This a whole new ballgame.
For context, we’re coming from a 2005 Prius, which was an excellent car for us, but getting a little long in tooth at 278k miles.
Oh it is a game changer for sure! Wow, I ordered 2 weeks after you and have yet to receive a VIN. My estimated delivery date has just been slipping back since early January. Just wish I didn't sell my Model 3 five months ago. It has been awful driving anything else after owning a Tesla for 3.5 years.