Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone regret their RWD M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently have a model S (RWD). I still have tons of fun driving it and love it, but being someone who is always reading the latest tech news, and seeing every new feature roll out, and wanting the latest and greatest, I find myself just wishing I had the extra power/features of a more powerful Tesla.

This summer I bought a new house and our driveway is too steep for the Model S to drive on without scraping. I either have to buy another S with air suspension, or a Model 3 (shorter wheel base).

I know what to expect with the S, but the 3 is so tempting with its smaller form factor, clean interior, etc.

I keep configuring cars over and over figuring out which to buy and...I find myself incredibly torn. The price on a RWD M3 is such an amazing value. I've driven these a few times and found it to be fun, zippy, cute, tight, and just pleasant and fun to drive, but definitely not thrilling or exciting.

I'm not worried that I'll be unhappy with a RWD 3, but rather that I'll just always wish I had one more upgrade, or a little more power, or that I had the latest and greatest. That said, I know my day to day life and driving experience probably won't actually be all that different getting an AWD or P, and it's a pretty big price jump. I just really want to get this car and be satisfied keeping it for the next many years to come.

Anyone have any regrets getting a RWD or wish they had splurged? Or...opposite?

the LR rwd Model 3 was really a great value and best range. It is maybe a tad slower than and but still plenty fast and is a great car. no regrets at all.

And if someone doesn't need the range, the SR+ would be an even better value.

And if someone plans to have their tires touch snow or even roads regularly below freezing, they should really be using winter tires anyway and RWD with winter tires are better than AWD with all seasons anyway.

Last edited:
I wanted AWD from the start but was impatient and went with a First Production RWD. Convinced myself that the RWD will be fine and wanted to take advantage of the whole tax credit because there was talks of it disappearing early at the time. Long story short, sold my LR RWD a month ago and ordered a P3 with all the options. Very excited! cant wait.

• Love
Reactions: Pkmmte
I currently have a model S (RWD). I still have tons of fun driving it and love it, but being someone who is always reading the latest tech news, and seeing every new feature roll out, and wanting the latest and greatest, I find myself just wishing I had the extra power/features of a more powerful Tesla.

This summer I bought a new house and our driveway is too steep for the Model S to drive on without scraping. I either have to buy another S with air suspension, or a Model 3 (shorter wheel base).

I know what to expect with the S, but the 3 is so tempting with its smaller form factor, clean interior, etc.

I keep configuring cars over and over figuring out which to buy and...I find myself incredibly torn. The price on a RWD M3 is such an amazing value. I've driven these a few times and found it to be fun, zippy, cute, tight, and just pleasant and fun to drive, but definitely not thrilling or exciting.

I'm not worried that I'll be unhappy with a RWD 3, but rather that I'll just always wish I had one more upgrade, or a little more power, or that I had the latest and greatest. That said, I know my day to day life and driving experience probably won't actually be all that different getting an AWD or P, and it's a pretty big price jump. I just really want to get this car and be satisfied keeping it for the next many years to come.

Hmm...I'm not sure what you mean. If you go to Tesla's website and click on model 3 you can configure every combination of car that's on menu. RWD is the first option (standard range plus).
We call that a SR+. RWD is generally referred to as the original version (and was sold alongside the AWD for a short time) and was also made for a limited time as a MR.

I owned a 2014 MS for a couple years but caught a frugality bug and traded it for a Honda Accord. I can afford most anything I want, but having worked for my money, tend be a "value' oriented consumer. I think my newer (2018) Accord LX is the best value midsize ICE sedan available today under $25k. Last Friday I picked up my new "Software Limited" SR3. Added the 19" wheels so drove away from the Charlotte Tesla store with an incredible car for $37,700 ($35,000 + $1200 del/doc + $1500 wheels). Yes it is limited to 220 range and a bit slower than the LR or Performance but still I am amazed at the "value" in this car. You should do whatever you want, but to me the $12-20k price premium for the LR-Per can't be justified. I have also recently made another "value" based car decision. I have deposits at two Chevrolet dealers for the new C8 mid-engine corvette. Another incredible value at $59,995 delivered.

We call that a SR+. RWD is generally referred to as the original version (and was sold alongside the AWD for a short time) and was also made for a limited time as a MR.

I guess I've never encountered that before on this forum. I was just referring to RWD as the actual drive system of the car, not naming one specific model, but yes, I'm referring to the current SR/SR+ models that are currently for sale.

No. I had a Model S RWD and currently own a Model 3 RWD. No regrets. If you’re always looking for the latest/greatest, you’ll never be satisfied with any Tesla due to their constant improvement.

Forget the value proposition. Searching for value is what got you into your situation.

What you NEED is an S/X Raven. Perhaps with Ludicrous mode.

The standard Raven will run you $80-85K. Have tons of performance, great range and value.

Standard air suspension and AWD will get you up and over your driveway scraping. The GPS will automatically raise your car every time you get near the crest. Ludicrous is now free, saving you thousands if you order the performance version.

Model 3 will save you $, but not solve your problem.

If you want the latest and greatest, you will get the fantastic new adaptable suspension system. Smoother ride, better handling and world class high speed stability. Lowers automatically at higher speeds.

As far as wanting the latest and greatest, you can count on constant updates coming down the road via OTA. The suspension alone has received 2 updates in the last month.

Worth a drive to your friendly local showroom. Mention my name and you will get a free demo ride for evaluation :) Bring your credit card.

Contact Current Automotive for a quote to buy your old Tesla. They are prior Tesla people and will offer you lots more $ for your trade in than Tesla will do directly. EZ-PZ transaction.

• Love
Reactions: MXWing
I owned a 2014 MS for a couple years but caught a frugality bug and traded it for a Honda Accord. I can afford most anything I want, but having worked for my money, tend be a "value' oriented consumer. I think my newer (2018) Accord LX is the best value midsize ICE sedan available today under $25k. Last Friday I picked up my new "Software Limited" SR3. Added the 19" wheels so drove away from the Charlotte Tesla store with an incredible car for $37,700 ($35,000 + $1200 del/doc + $1500 wheels). Yes it is limited to 220 range and a bit slower than the LR or Performance but still I am amazed at the "value" in this car. You should do whatever you want, but to me the $12-20k price premium for the LR-Per can't be justified. I have also recently made another "value" based car decision. I have deposits at two Chevrolet dealers for the new C8 mid-engine corvette. Another incredible value at $59,995 delivered.

Having an odd valuation system and justifying it by saying you "work for your money" is a weird flex.

I work for my money too as many others and value is relative.

Buying a SR3 for $37K + C8 for $60K, parking both, insuring both, maintaining both - doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

A Model 3 Performance wrecks both and has more utility than the cost of the C8 alone. C8 might edge out the performance of the 3 but it won't do it without costing 65K minimum.

You can buy a Model S Performance for the cost of the two added together.

Value is analyzing your marginal utility curve and determining when it diminishes - not being randomly cheap buying base Honda Accords when a S100P is affordable to you.