Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone sell a Wall charger / outlet switch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to switch between a Tesla wall charger and a NEMA 1450R outlet that I would like to make available in case someone wants to plug in their RV.
Does anyone sell a switch like that? I NEVER want them to be on at the same time and would like to avoid having to run a second 6AWG wire.
Thanks for any info you can provide.

Such a thing is typically known as a transfer switch. Envision a box with a lever on the side which can be positioned up or down. That allows power to be switched between two devices; your wall connector and a 240VAC outlet. Know that you will probably run afoul of electrical rules which require a GFCI breaker for 14-50 outlets, especially if they are located in a garage or potentially exposed to water. A GFCI breaker should not be used with a Tesla wall connector as there's already one built into the unit. I was thinking of doing the same thing as you since my daughter has an RV and although she rarely visits with her rig, having a 14-50 outlet would have helped me if I wanted to home charge (I don't).

The proper device for this function is a “double throw safety switch”. The lever has three positions: A / Off / B. You can wire it to supply one power source to one of two loads or you can wire it to power one load from one of two power sources. Last time I checked, the 240V 30A ones were very affordable, but 60A and higher quickly got rather expensive.

Reactions: ucmndd
Example: Eaton 100 Amp 120/240-Volt 24,000-Watt Non-Fused General-Duty Double-Throw Safety Switch DT223URH-N - The Home Depot

DPDT Safety Switch.JPG

Reactions: cwerdna
The proper way to do this is to install a sub-panel in the garage. You can then run one circuit with a GFCI breaker to a 14-50 outlet, and a second line to the wall connector with a standard breaker. Then be sure to use only one at a time.

I am thinking of installing this at a AirBnB. While I do want to provide a Tesla charger especially now that everyone is adopting NACS. I also want to provide 14-50R for any potential RV visitors.
Tesla MCs all come with a 14-50 adapter plug and most Tesla owners will have one and many non-Tesla EV owners will have a 14-50 compatible EVSE, Providing a 14-50 plug will do double duty for most EV and RV owners.

Reactions: ATPMSD