Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Euro Signature 01/250 exist?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...to confuse this a little bit:

my european 2.0 signature has SFZRE2B14A3000154 and was registered on a license 1st. time 09th. of october 2009 in Austria (in my road-registration it says 1st. of july 2009, but this is only because it was imported from Austria to Germany), so why are higher VN's registered earlier ??? :)

Euro#1 also seems to have the distinction of being one of (if not the first) Sport models. I think perhaps the USA assembly group produced USA CAR #502 as the first USA sport and at a similar time the UK shop put together Euro#1 as the first European sport model.
Both USA#502 and Euro#0001 had "exhibition duty" being used in photo ops and something for people to drool over in the showrooms. It may have been unclear (at the time) what the eventual disposition of those cars would be... Maybe Tesla wasn't even sure if they would eventually sell them, but ended up doing so.
When a manufacturer sells a demo car, it sort-of shows up as "new" because the first customer bought it from the manufacturer and it was the first time it was registered (since running on reusable dealer/manufacturer plates doesn't require registration.) but in effect is is a heavily used vehicle at that point.
I think some people referred to it as "The first Sport" rather than "The first Sig250", so its' place in history is a little vague that way. I don't think it is too much of a stretch to say that Sig250#2 was the "first official European customer car", and Euro#0001 could be viewed as a marketing car (like what they used to call the "VPs" back in 2008.)
It would have made more sense if they had built #0001 as a VP (V in the VIN) instead of using a regular production VIN for it.

On a side note, I think perhaps Sig250#2 also sat in the London showroom for a little while before being picked up and registered by the buyer. My guess is that they weren't ready to pick up the car right away even though they had pre-ordered it. Maybe they let the London showroom hang onto it for a while as a display car as a favor to Tesla? Did it ever get registered with the T33SLA plates we saw in those first pictures? Were those even real plates? It is being offered for sale now with standard issue sequential plates.

Charles Delaville on Twitter

Last edited:
Euro#1 also seems to have the distinction of being one of (if not the first) Sport models. I think perhaps the USA assembly group produced USA CAR #502 as the first USA sport and at a similar time the UK shop put together Euro#1 as the first European sport model.
Both USA#502 and Euro#0001 had "exhibition duty" being used in photo ops and something for people to drool over in the showrooms. It may have been unclear (at the time) what the eventual disposition of those cars would be... Maybe Tesla wasn't even sure if they would eventually sell them, but ended up doing so.
When a manufacturer sells a demo car, it sort-of shows up as "new" because the first customer bought it from the manufacturer and it was the first time it was registered (since running on reusable dealer/manufacturer plates doesn't require registration.) but in effect is is a heavily used vehicle at that point.
I think some people referred to it as "The first Sport" rather than "The first Sig250", so its' place in history is a little vague that way. I don't think it is too much of a stretch to say that Sig250#2 was the "first official European customer car", and Euro#0001 could be viewed as a marketing car (like what they used to call the "VPs" back in 2008.)
It would have made more sense if they had built #0001 as a VP (V in the VIN) instead of using a regular production VIN for it.

On a side note, I think perhaps Sig250#2 also sat in the London showroom for a little while before being picked up and registered by the buyer. My guess is that they weren't ready to pick up the car right away even though they had pre-ordered it. Maybe they let the London showroom hang onto it for a while as a display car as a favor to Tesla? Did it ever get registered with the T33SLA plates we saw in those first pictures? Were those even real plates? It is being offered for sale now with standard issue sequential plates.

TEG, thanks so much for your time looking into this, I generally agree with everything you've said above and conclude this is probably what happened.

VIN #000002 was originally supplied on T33SLA as pictured, on which it remained for a few years before the owner took that number plate off the Roadster in preparation for the delivery of their Model S. At this point, it was issued the 'standard' number on which it has remained until now (LJ09FYO).

My understanding is that the car was collected by the buyer as soon as possible, so perhaps Tesla Cheval Place had asked whether they can display it in their showroom beforehand for a few weeks as a favour.

Auction starts in about an hour, and can be followed here: www.coys.tv

I hope it finds a good new home!

It didn't reach reserve, neither did almost everything else in the room.

A post-auction deal has been negotiated with one of the interested parties and just waiting to receive funds at which point the deal is done. It's not my place to confirm the exact price agreed, but its much lower than was expected.

I think I heard something about the buyer paying in USD, so it might be heading your way... they chose their moment well with the GBPUSD currently at an all time low!