Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does everyone use Time of Use Electricity rates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With SoCal Edison they automatically put everyone with Solar and an EV on TOU.

They give you a small break on your pricing as well.

My small, 12 panel Solar completely covers my annual electricity use. Net Zero. Need to restrict heavy electrical use between 4-9, but that is pretty easy and convenient for us.

Use a whole house fan to pre cool my home overnight, so little need to run the AC during the day.

TOU tends to be fluid, as people adapt lifestyles.

In SoCal, electricity tended to be cheaper from Sunrise to about 4:00. Lots of people have solar then, and use little electricity because they are at work or in school. Then when the Sun goes down and everybody comes home, they click on the AC, do laundry, prepare dinner and give the kids their bath.

The
Now things have shifted again, because so many people are working from home. They want to keep the house cool, are using computers, printers, and surfing the web. They are on the phone or doing video conferencing. Often up working from home early or late due to different time zones.

This change is society effects the demand times for electricity, and the Utilities want to capture all the revenue they can.

As more and more people convert to EVs they tend to charge them up in the garage while they sleep. This is usually the cheapest time to do so.

As home storage batteries become more popular, that will also shift the heaviest power usages to times when it is cheapest.

Eventually the utilities will invent other charging schemes to level out their usage and optimize profits.

In many cities, crime, high taxes and druggies are driving people out of those Urban cores. This hollowing out of the worst cities will significantly reduce their power consumption. Utilities will need to transfer the pricing they use for commercial customers onto the backs of homeowners and renters.

The next transition will be when companies that are outsourcing their manufacturing and assembly to Asia begin to move those plants back to the more stable USA. This will increase the USA GNP, but also our internal electrical needs.