Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does FSD transfer to new owner? I am looking at a used one.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have my eyes on a used 2019 Model 3 LR AWD wtih 13K on it that has FSD, or I think it does. Does that transfer with th sale? I was reading some where on here that I thought it might not and wanted to make sure.

Making sure it does have FSD, took pic of screen. Pretty sure it does.

And second question is 50k a good price if it has FSD? Seems like it might be? It has the white interior I have been looking at but is not a stealth model.

Attachments

• 20191215_160648.jpg
    20191215_160648.jpg
    612 KB · Views: 873
I have my eyes on a used 2019 Model 3 LR AWD wtih 13K on it that has FSD, or I think it does. Does that transfer with th sale? I was reading some where on here that I thought it might not and wanted to make sure.

And second question is 50k a good price if it has FSD? Seems like it might be? It has the white interior I have been looking at but is not a stealth model.

FSD is attached to the car, not the owner.

That said- depending when that car was bought you might be seeing EAP, not FSD.

In which case you'd need to pay another I think it's 4k now to add FSD.

Until March 2019 you could buy EAP, which to this point has all the same features as FSD (but will not be getting most (maybe any) future features, as FSD will- and also does not entitle you to the HW3 computer upgrade if the car doesn't already have HW3)

Currently there's no in-car way to tell if a car has EAP or FSD....other than, I suppose, checking if it has HW3 (because HW3 didn't begin being factory installed until after EAP stopped being sold.)

I think you are fine with whatever software is on the car staying with the car, as long as you are buying it private party / outside of tesla. If someone traded that car into tesla, when they sold it, they could remove the software. They already state they will do exactly that for premium connectivity if one trades in their tesla to tesla with unlimited premium connectivity.

Ask the current owner to show you either their monroney sticker, or, ask them if they have EAP or FSD and ask them to see it in their tesla account (if you get to that point of buying it from them).

50k is a LOT of money to spend private party on a tesla, though.

Reactions: ZappCatt and coleAK
Yes it transfers.

Tesla has a 2019 LR AWD with FSD for sale for $53,690 "New" with 3,200 miles, so that would qualify for the Federal rebate, taking it down to just under $52k. Since that is not near you(Utah) it is a reference point, but not direct comparison.

2019 Model 3 | Tesla
Everyone of those cars with about 3k miles on that I have asked my current advisor about has been in an accident, every single one.

It was just traded in to a local dealer and according to carfax was titled in 8-1-2019. Thus I assumed actual FSD.

I did reach out to the previous owner, I got the email from the netflix account on the car, but they didnt want to talk to me about the car, I think they felt I invaded their privacy about asking the questions. They were concerned about how I got their contact info. She was very reserved in email I might have scared her. But not helpful at all. It does have a clean carfax.

Everyone of those cars with about 3k miles on that I have asked my current advisor about has been in an accident, every single one.

It was just traded in to a local dealer and according to carfax was titled in 8-1-2019. Thus I assumed actual FSD.

I did reach out to the previous owner, I got the email from the netflix account on the car, but they didnt want to talk to me about the car, I think they felt I invaded their privacy about asking the questions. They were concerned about how I got their contact info. She was very reserved in email I might have scared her. But not helpful at all. It does have a clean carfax.

Probably. They traded in a car they JUST bought 3.5 months ago, and some stranger is contacting them about it. I wouldnt have answered you at all (I would have created a filter to specifically delete your email so I wouldnt see it anymore).

They should have taken the precautions to delete their information, but yeah, I bet they felt super uncomfortable.

I was also letting them know that their info was still in the car as well as the spotify account was still attached. I was actually trying to let them know while asking questions. But I do understand that they felt uncomfortable.

They did put 13k miles on it in 4.5 months.

My coworker bought a "new" 2019 around May and it was a test drive return. Guy drove it for 300 miles then gave it back. It still had his home address and other contact info saved in the vehicle. Tesla did not do a factory reset (is there such a thing?)

I chased several of them, both performance models and they all had been rear ended. Nice discount of 3500+ but I really dont want one with accidents. To far away at this point anyway.

This forum is great for all the input.

A new one is over 59k. This one has 19s and white interior.

I traded my 2019 MR with 7k miles, just because I decided I couldn't live with a black car (too dirty all the time) and I wanted the modest range and performance improvement of the performance trim. No accidents, the car was pristine.

So there are a few ultra-low mileage cars out there to be bought with clean accident history, but not a lot. Most people are not as dumb as me to buy two EVs in a year.

Well I am close to doing that, I got a 2018 Volt last september, really like it but.....I am wandering if I will miss the heated steering wheel.....Also I do have openpilot running on it so do understand how nice autopilot can be.

Really want a P3D- but have to have white interior....

Well I am close to doing that, I got a 2018 Volt last september, really like it but.....I am wandering if I will miss the heated steering wheel.....Also I do have openpilot running on it so do understand how nice autopilot can be.

Really want a P3D- but have to have white interior....

The “missing” heated steering wheel almost kept me from ordering the Model 3. I kept telling friends and family that I didn’t think I’d complete the order after being spoiled with that in the Leaf for the preceding 5 years. When the chance to order came back in Apr ‘18, I submitted after less than 24 hours. While I still miss the feature, I “make due” with judicious use of the cabin preheat. The phone app connects much faster than on the Leaf and with the large battery, I don’t really care about using the heat on my daily driving. The “keep climate on” feature on the main screen is also nice for when you take brief trips into stores.

The “missing” heated steering wheel almost kept me from ordering the Model 3. I kept telling friends and family that I didn’t think I’d complete the order after being spoiled with that in the Leaf for the preceding 5 years. When the chance to order came back in Apr ‘18, I submitted after less than 24 hours. While I still miss the feature, I “make due” with judicious use of the cabin preheat. The phone app connects much faster than on the Leaf and with the large battery, I don’t really care about using the heat on my daily driving. The “keep climate on” feature on the main screen is also nice for when you take brief trips into stores.
I just put it in dog mode when running into a store on hot days

Probably. They traded in a car they JUST bought 3.5 months ago, and some stranger is contacting them about it. I wouldnt have answered you at all (I would have created a filter to specifically delete your email so I wouldnt see it anymore).

They should have taken the precautions to delete their information, but yeah, I bet they felt super uncomfortable.

*shrugs* I don't know why people are so uncomfortable about things like this. I would have had no problem helping a stranger out with the information that they were seeking. I would have been confused whyCarfax was sharing my information (if I was truly oblivious to my fault of not signing out of netflix), but I wouldn't have been upset. I would have probably emailed them too op. Maybe its just because Tesla's aren't everywhere in Michigan and you usually get at least a wave or smile from other folks at the superchargers. Guess I just assumed there was some good will mentality between the Tesla driving family, but maybe that makes me sound like too much of a hippy.

*shrugs* I don't know why people are so uncomfortable about things like this. I would have had no problem helping a stranger out with the information that they were seeking. I would have been confused whyCarfax was sharing my information (if I was truly oblivious to my fault of not signing out of netflix), but I wouldn't have been upset. I would have probably emailed them too op. Maybe its just because Tesla's aren't everywhere in Michigan and you usually get at least a wave or smile from other folks at the superchargers. Guess I just assumed there was some good will mentality between the Tesla driving family, but maybe that makes me sound like too much of a hippy.

Maybe its an age thing (im 52)? Maybe its because I work in IT, and I dont answer ANY unsolicited email at all (I am not replying to any email to confirm ANY information of mine from an email). If you are willing to do that, you do you, but you will eventually get burned by that.

Note, This has nothing to do with being friendly to other tesla owners, or potential owners. I have been at a service center (pre covid) waiting on my car, and answered questions from potential owners who were there to pick up their car. I give "thumbs up" signs to other tesla drivers when I am around them while commuting.

I am just no way in @!#$@$$ responding to some person who said " I got your email from the netflix account you forgot to log out of in the car you traded in, care to talk to me about why you traded it in? What was wrong with it? "

I dont find that "reasonable" in the slightest, but maybe I am just reserved that way.