Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does FSD V12 work in rain ? What are you experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long highway trip with moderate rain (lots of spray tho) using FSD V12.3.4.

Cameras reported limited visibility and shut FSD down. The rain would stop and FSD be restored, but when it rained again, FSD shut off again due to camera limited visibility. This seems like a major limitation to FSD, but I have not heard much about it.

Has anyone had success using it in the rain ? Maybe off the highway ?

I don't think that I've had FSD shut down before, but it definitely pops up the "limited visibility" message. When this is occurring, some speed limits are reduced, but that's about it. FSD automation is still running.
I've had it happen dozens of times over a few years,

What road type? Interstate?
I've got a stretch where it gets really dark, in the past it hasn't liked that either.

Between Chicago to Minneapolis on Interstate I-94, around Madison, WI during the daytime, a little dark at times because of heavy clouds. It was a little difficult to determine how FSD was responding, as the rain was inconsistently starting and stopping as we moved through storms.

With the limited camera visibility, speed was initially reduced, until it appeared visibility was further reduced enough and FSD was unavailable? When the rain would stop, FSD would become available again.

It could be FSD was available the entire time, albeit at lower speeds, but we were traveling at 70+ mph. I guess I should have slowed down to test it.

With HD3 v12.3.6, went around 50 miles 50/50 highway / city, yesterday in mild overcast, then medium rain. Everything went well and rain or overcast didn't seem to be any problem. Wipers responded appropriately from clear => few sprinkles => serious rain, no slow-downs or other oddities.

Reactions: GeoX750
Between Chicago to Minneapolis on Interstate I-94, around Madison, WI during the daytime, a little dark at times because of heavy clouds. It was a little difficult to determine how FSD was responding, as the rain was inconsistently starting and stopping as we moved through storms.

With the limited camera visibility, speed was initially reduced, until it appeared visibility was further reduced enough and FSD was unavailable? When the rain would stop, FSD would become available again.

It could be FSD was available the entire time, albeit at lower speeds, but we were traveling at 70+ mph. I guess I should have slowed down to test it.
Did FSD say it was disabling or did the car just slow down.

The car basically follows the concept of slowing down in heavy rain.

Running 12.3.6 today. Medium rain, both highway and city streets.
FSD ran the whole drive (about 40 miles).
About 75% of the time I had the “FSD performance may be degraded” warning.

Seemed to handle it very well.
Perfectly on the highways, some sluggishness in terms of speed in a section of residential streets near a 3 way stop.

Overall, I am incredibly impressed with 12.3.6.

Reactions: ewoodrick