Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does It Seem Like Everyone Wants To Race You?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If your Tesla looks stock then most people probably won't care, but when your Tesla is modded and looks sporty/racy then I think that's when people try to go at it with you. Especially if they saw you launch at a light or do a pull, which I do all the time.

It's usually BMW's, Audi's, Benz's, Alfa's, Mustang's, Camaro's and the occasional supercar on a Sunday trying to go at it. Can't recall any that got the jump. I know there are cars quicker than mine but haven't come up against any yet

They usually fly by me at high speeds while I'm going the speed limit, to try and soothe their ego, but they know they got spanked.

The best is after you launch on them you throw it on autopilot and they drive by looking at you while the car is driving and you're just sitting back like a king

If your Tesla looks stock then most people probably won't care, but when your Tesla is modded and looks sporty/racy then I think that's when people try to go at it with you. Especially if they saw you launch at a light or do a pull, which I do all the time.

It's usually BMW's, Audi's, Benz's, Alfa's, Mustang's, Camaro's and the occasional supercar on a Sunday trying to go at it. Can't recall any that got the jump. I know there are cars quicker than mine but haven't come up against any yet

They usually fly by me at high speeds while I'm going the speed limit, to try and soothe their ego, but they know they got spanked.

The best is after you launch on them you throw it on autopilot and they drive by looking at you while the car is driving and you're just sitting back like a king
No Challengers or Chargers? They outnumber the Camaros and 'Stangs in this area.

Yep, I think in SoCal this might be more prevalent than other areas. Some people just don't notice that some self-selected drivers become rather animated around Teslas. Either people know they're quick or they don't and some don't care either way, and a whole lot of drivers (at least here in SoCal) are willing to test their mettle. It's kind of a car-crazy culture here, and this includes EVs.

The pandemic hasn't made people want to race LESS, that's for sure.

Not at all frequent but when it happens, the most fun is to let them jump while you putter along, then after they settle down do one of those chess knight's moves where you leap over their lane into the next lane over and resume puttering like nothing happened. :cool:

It's gotten better but there ARE still a few hate-stares out of the blue in parking lots.
It seems to be people who assume shiny Tesla = big bucks = A$$höl.

Last edited:
Is it true that 48% of cars in Norway are electric, or did some dope mean current sales and/or include hybrids?

Right now it is over 48% but not of total but of new car sales.
Half of new cars registered in Norway are EVs. In 10 years they expect at least 60-70% of the whole country to drive EVs.
I had a discussion with a representative of the power network owner and they said they are working their butt off to keep up with the demand but the change is too fast.
2 816 038 are the total registered cars this year of which the EVs are 344 844 (31/11/2020)

• Informative
Reactions: Hyperion M3P-
I must admit that when I drive my wife's Subaru and I pull up next to a Tesla I act like I"m on the starting line at the strip and creep up a couple of times. When the light goes the Tesla driver generally hits it hard and I putter away from the line. So easy to bait, but I could be too if I were facing a Subaru...

If I were next to you, I'd pull away...but I do it regardless of the car. If I'm in front, I take off regardless every single time :D.

Reactions: BuggDDS
I must admit that when I drive my wife's Subaru and I pull up next to a Tesla I act like I"m on the starting line at the strip and creep up a couple of times. When the light goes the Tesla driver generally hits it hard and I putter away from the line. So easy to bait, but I could be too if I were facing a Subaru...

You driving a Crosstrek scaring the poor Teslas?

Not even once. I'm one of those guys that floors it from every stop light I'm first in line at too (up to +/- 5 mph of the speed limit). Just have never had a "fast" (or even perceived "fast") car beside me at a stop light in the 2.25 years I've had the car. Probably doesn't hurt that I've got an early Stealth P, so no badging other than the Tesla T and the (uncapped) Aero wheels.

Not even once. I'm one of those guys that floors it from every stop light I'm first in line at too (up to +/- 5 mph of the speed limit). Just have never had a "fast" (or even perceived "fast") car beside me at a stop light in the 2.25 years I've had the car. Probably doesn't hurt that I've got an early Stealth P, so no badging other than the Tesla T and the (uncapped) Aero wheels.

‘love being first at the light and taking off. Strangely enough no one tries to accelerate at the same tempo? I hate speeding more than 6mph over the posted speed limit. Some cops will pull you over for going 4mph over the speed limit.

Reactions: Spacep0d
‘love being first at the light and taking off. Strangely enough no one tries to accelerate at the same tempo? I hate speeding more than 6mph over the posted speed limit. Some cops will pull you over for going 4mph over the speed limit.

That's how I do it. I don't break the speed limit, but I like to get there expediently and create a luxurious space cushion. From many years of motorcycling it's also a safety measure.

In CA, if you simply pay attention to when the light turns green you're already gapping the distracted drivers who haven't look up to see the green yet. Gotta always check for cross-traffic, natch. People can and will run red lights, in part because they're held up by people on phones making them miss lights otherwise.

But yeah I like to be in front. Nothing like being situationally aware yet surrounded by distracted sloths.

I do the same...just the other day i floored it at a light on a huge expressway that had a 60mph limit and some car besides me blew me away...didn't realize it was a P100D :eek: Those things are fast :D