Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Sentry Mode fix the USB music restart issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hate it when a bunch of things change at the same time. It's difficult to know what factors fixes or cause an issue. I got a software update to 5.15 recently. I got the dreaded X for the front camera recording. I didn't attempt to reformat and try it again. I swapped it for another much bigger thumbdrive I was saving for the change to sentry mode. I put the new thumbdrive in and it worked fine. I later enabled sentry mode to see if it would cause any issues with the thumbdrive. So far, USB music has picked up exactly where it left off when I exited the vehicle. I'm glad everything works, but I have no idea why.

BTW, I use a single USB drive that's been partitioned. The partitions are GPT, not msdos. I use a Linux boot disk and use GParted to partition and format the thumbdrive just like always. The first partition is for music and the second is for the cameras.

Sentry keeps the car out of deep sleep mode so that's probably it... (why Tesla can't figure out how to save a "state" on media before going into sleep, a problem they've left unfixed for years is a whole other question)

I presume you're asking about version 2019.5.15, the update that adds sentry mode. And yes, now USB audio resumes properly. It's still got some bugs, and I keep reporting them, but mostly it works well, and sounds great.

Oh, and since the car itself runs on linux, I don't think it really cares how you partition the drive. I did my ssd drive with a mac and it works fine. And try formatting your music drive with ext4 - it works better than fat32.