Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB flash drives (music) HW4 v. HW3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently picked up a new 2023 MY to replace my original 2023 MY (It was a good deal!)

In the original which had HW3, I was able to put a small USB hub in the glovebox and run the Tesla flash drive for dashcam and sentry, as well as another USB flash drive formatted in exFAT for music files. It worked fine.

The new MY came with HW4, the upgraded cameras, etc. Now the music flash drive does not show up on the menu and I can't access it. Is this a known issue with HW4? Has anyone else had the problem, and if so, is there a workaround?

Reactions: Meagain
I recently picked up a new 2023 MY to replace my original 2023 MY (It was a good deal!)

In the original which had HW3, I was able to put a small USB hub in the glovebox and run the Tesla flash drive for dashcam and sentry, as well as another USB flash drive formatted in exFAT for music files. It worked fine.

The new MY came with HW4, the upgraded cameras, etc. Now the music flash drive does not show up on the menu and I can't access it. Is this a known issue with HW4? Has anyone else had the problem, and if so, is there a workaround?
That is weird the glovebox USB should be a data port whether it is HW3 or HW4 and should play your music just fine on there as well. Have you tried reformatting your USB drive to see if it fixes the problem?

Yeah I would do that .. this might be a USB power thing if a hub is involved.
It appears that the USB hub which worked with HW3 does not work with HW4.

Next, I removed the Tesla flash stick and replaced it with my music stick. It was recognized and worked immediately.

So, as an experiment, I took a 128G flash stick I had and created two volumes: TESLADRIVE (100G) and MUSIC (15G), both formatted as exFAT.

I copied all of the files from the TESLADRIVE volume on the OEM stick to the TESLADRIVE volume on my 128G, and all of my music files to the MUSIC volume.

Now, both are recognized and work.

Next will be to get a good USB external SSD..................................

• Informative
Reactions: Skavatar
It appears that the USB hub which worked with HW3 does not work with HW4.

Next, I removed the Tesla flash stick and replaced it with my music stick. It was recognized and worked immediately.

So, as an experiment, I took a 128G flash stick I had and created two volumes: TESLADRIVE (100G) and MUSIC (15G), both formatted as exFAT.

I copied all of the files from the TESLADRIVE volume on the OEM stick to the TESLADRIVE volume on my 128G, and all of my music files to the MUSIC volume.

Now, both are recognized and work.

Next will be to get a good USB external SSD..................................
Yeah using two partitions on one drive/stick is the way to go.

I got a 2024 MY. As a quick experiment I unplugged the Tesla USB stick from the glove compartment and plugged in a different USB stick which just had music files on it. The USB drive does show up in my media options and I can play the music. So my experience is different from the OP. Maybe something changed in the 2024 models?

My actual goal is to remove the two USB C power only ports inside the center console and install one of those replacements which allow data and power. I have this one (currently out of stock) but there are similar ones available.

USB data hub for center console

I'm guessing there will be no USB connection in the center console as there used to be, so I'm planning to remove a couple of panels to run the USB mini to USB mini cable which came with my USB hub. I'll report back if it works.

Well, it looks like this will be more involved than I thought.

I wanted to run a USB cable from a connection under the glovebox to the center console as described in this video (although the author did not correctly remove the four plastic pins):

Installing USB cable video

When I opened the panel under the glovebox, I discovered the hardware has changed from the video. Although most of the cables look similar, the USB port used in the video is no longer visible. Perhaps it's gone somewhere else, but I didn't have time to look for it. Here are some photos:

PXL_20240131_225556698_result.jpg

The above photo is from the video. On the silver metal casing, there is a square black plastic USB connection on the right side.

PXL_20240131_225643284_result.jpg

The photo above is what I see in my 2024 Model Y. As you can see, the metal casing no longer has that black plastic USB connection. I assume there must be a connection somewhere to feed the Sentry/Dashcam USB port inside the glovebox.

I don't know if this is a HW4 change, or just a recent change Tesla made for some other reason. Anyway, I'm trying to decide how to preceed.

I wanted to run a USB cable from a connection under the glovebox to the center console as described in this video (although the author did not correctly remove the four plastic pins):

When I opened the panel under the glovebox, I discovered the hardware has changed from the video. Although most of the cables look similar, the USB port used in the video is no longer visible. Perhaps it's gone somewhere else, but I didn't have time to look for it. Here are some photos:

View attachment 1014143

The above photo is from the video. On the silver metal casing, there is a square black plastic USB connection on the right side.

View attachment 1014142

The photo above is what I see in my 2024 Model Y. As you can see, the metal casing no longer has that black plastic USB connection. I assume there must be a connection somewhere to feed the Sentry/Dashcam USB port inside the glovebox.

I don't know if this is a HW4 change, or just a recent change Tesla made for some other reason. Anyway, I'm trying to decide how to preceed.
It is true that HW4 removed the USB port on the MCU (bottom pic). The customized USB module in the youtube video is from Tparts which is the same one I have installed which is only compatible with HW3 MY (top pic). Unfortunately Tesla went backwards to close the loop on being able to supply data via its USB ports with HW4 and so the Tparts USB module is no longer compatible because you wouldn't have a way to plug the USB data cable to tap into the MCU.

I just wished that Tesla added a USB-C in the glovebox instead of a USB-A 2.0 port if they were going to get rid of the other data ports. If anything they should have added at least have a glovebox USB-A 3.1 port so that it can supply more power and data capabilities. Because by adding a USB-C port in the glovebox it would open up so many opportunities to add a USB-C hub that can expand the number of USB data ports where you can have USB-C and USB-A ports.

Hopefully Tesla will update the glovebox USB port to a USB-C port with the Juniper upgrade.

Back when Tesla first removed the data (late 2021 or early 2022) from the two USB C ports in the console, making them power only, it was believed to be due to the parts shortage. But since then Tesla has not restored the data connection and now, with HW4, it appears they are actively preventing it. I wish I knew why (virus prevention?).

To make it worse, I see posts that hubs may not work anymore either. I guess partitioning a USB flash drive or external SSD still works with HW4? Otherwise I suppose Bluetooth is the best solution to play music (and maybe gaming joysticks) outside of using Tesla's allowed apps?

Back when Tesla first removed the data (late 2021 or early 2022) from the two USB C ports in the console, making them power only, it was believed to be due to the parts shortage. But since then Tesla has not restored the data connection and now, with HW4, it appears they are actively preventing it. I wish I knew why (virus prevention?).

To make it worse, I see posts that hubs may not work anymore either. I guess partitioning a USB flash drive or external SSD still works with HW4? Otherwise I suppose Bluetooth is the best solution to play music (and maybe gaming joysticks) outside of using Tesla's allowed apps?
Right it was initially due to parts shortage due to covid. But then they also made the change to add a glovebox USB with data capability as default for security reasons for dashcam/sentry mode. I heard the change was made in case someone broke into your car and was able to steal the incriminating evidence from your USB stick in your front console USB ports. So because there is now a glovebox USB port, Tesla got used to not re-enabling data ports in the front console ports probably due to costs for whatever reason as long as there is a way to record dashcam/sentry mode clips.

Reactions: PineNut

Tesla has deleted the USB module in 2023/2024 M3 and MY due to chip shortage. The module is there in the center console but only for charging. No data can pass as there is no connection. You can solve this two ways. A USB hub in the glovebox will show both the flash drives or you can go to Tparts.com and buy a USB module for around $65 and replace it. It comes with clear instructions and a link to youTube for a nice video. After installation, you should have 3 fully functional USB ports. You can add a hub to the center console if you need more ports but honestly, its not required.

I got a 2024 MY. As a quick experiment I unplugged the Tesla USB stick from the glove compartment and plugged in a different USB stick which just had music files on it. The USB drive does show up in my media options and I can play the music. So my experience is different from the OP. Maybe something changed in the 2024 models?

My actual goal is to remove the two USB C power only ports inside the center console and install one of those replacements which allow data and power. I have this one (currently out of stock) but there are similar ones available.

USB data hub for center console

I'm guessing there will be no USB connection in the center console as there used to be, so I'm planning to remove a couple of panels to run the USB mini to USB mini cable which came with my USB hub. I'll report back if it works.
It will not work as the USB module in the center console is missing. You have to buy a USB Module from Amazon or Tparts.com and replace the dummy module Tesla has provided which only has power but the data port is blocked off as there is no chip inside and hook up the USB Mini cable from the MCU to the module, reconnect the power to the module and the data in center console will work. The Module that Tparts sells says it is compatible with both AMD and Intel MCU. I have installed the module and I am waiting for the USB Mini to Mini cable which is hard to find nowadays as practically nobody uses it anymore.

Yes, I did that and there is no change. I have not yet pulled the USB hub out and tried the music flash drive alone, so I suppose that's the next step.
I have used a USB hub in the glove box. It recognizes both the drives. The Tesla flash drive is a 128 GB flash drive and my music files are on a 64 GB micro drive. Its working. I want to see if I can still add data to the Center console.

View attachment 1014143

View attachment 1014142

That is bad news for 2024 MY owners including me! I was hoping to gain two more data ports by adding the USB Module in the center console but I guess Tesla has other plans if they have completely eliminated the USB port on the MCU which means replacing the USB Module will not work in the newer models. But I guess partitioning the hard flash drive is one way to go and I found that this hub actually works well and I am currently using it. Paid 20 some bucks on Amazon but AliExpress delivers it for less than 6. This looks very well integrated and works well as well. It has 1 USB 3 port, 2 USB 2.0 port and one USB C Port. I reckon for less than $6 at AliExpress its a great deal.
Screenshot 2024-02-04 164228.png

Well, even though USB data has been removed from the center console, there is still the USB A port for Sentry/Dashcam in the glovebox where the hub was connected in the photo above.

There must be a cable going to the glovebox USB port, so where does the cable come from? If we knew, perhaps we could run a cable from that connection (may need a small hub) to the center console. It might also be possible to run a cable from the glovebox USB port (or the above glovebox hub), but that might not be practical due to the glovebox being a moving part and a USB cable may interfere with the movement.

I just double check the entire wire harness going to the console. There is definitely no data port. I'll check the MCU when I get a chance.
Thank you. I checked it last night. There is no data port on the MCU with HW4. Its gone. The only recourse now is to use a USB hub in the glovebox which works or partition a larger drive into 2-3 smaller partitions using exFAT partition.

Reactions: David99