Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB flash drives (music) HW4 v. HW3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just double check the entire wire harness going to the console. There is definitely no data port. I'll check the MCU when I get a chance.
Guys its pretty simple, if you have HW4 you do not have a USB port on the MCU. If you have HW3 then you have the USB port on the MCU. Regardless the center console ports will not have the data port module installed so it has to be purchased if you have a HW3 model. You should know if you have HW4 or not. Basically if you took delivery of a MY between late May to June 2023+ you will likely have a HW4 car.

USB does not show up under sources in my March Build Hardware 3 .
It shows up under the ... Menu. New Board for Hardware 4 so I can see where
they might have left the extra port out on the main board. You could try
hubbing the data from the glove to the center console usb's maybe.
I bet somebody will do and aftermarket mod for this.

Guys its pretty simple, if you have HW4 you do not have a USB port on the MCU. If you have HW3 then you have the USB port on the MCU. Regardless the center console ports will not have the data port module installed so it has to be purchased if you have a HW3 model. You should know if you have HW4 or not. Basically if you took delivery of a MY between late May to June 2023+ you will likely have a HW4 car.
USB hub in the glovebox is the only option! F.u Tesla! I did get one and I am running 3 USB drives out of that. 2 for my music collection that goes back 30 years and 1 for the Tesla cam and sentry. So far no errors or any weird messages seen. On the screen both my music drives show up and I can switch between them seamlessly. I am ok with that but still bummed that I have 4 USB C ports in the center console basically sitting there useless. I dont need it as I can charge my phone on the wireless pad. I do not use any other gizmo while driving tat needs charging. So! Tesla got this totally wrong!

I tried to use my 4 Port USB (non powered) hub on my HW4 Y for two game controllers and the sentry memory stick with no luck. I’m thinking an option may be to have a powered hub in the glovebox.
Yes. That may be an option. I am using 3 flash drives and they are all working fine simultaneously. Game controllers may require more power. But where are you going to draw the power from? pull a wire from the center console USB C port to the glove box?