Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Suspension work need to be done by Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My front end needs some suspension work.
I am out of warranty.
I don't like paying an arm and a leg for repairs.
I am also a 5 hour round trip drive from my nearest service centre.
Is this something a local reputable shop can do? Or should I absolutely be going to Tesla for this?
Thanks!

Absolutely you don't have to go to Tesla. Most tire shops have access to the alignment numbers. After that, it's dependent on skill and training. Going to Tesla would more likely ensure that the guy doing the alignment may have done other Teslas, but I'm not sure I'd even guarantee that. Spare your arm and leg.

I have a problem with a joint in the suspension arm of my Tesla. Service center showed me where it was and I'm like, that's an easy fix. There's a 2-3 inch gap to get to where the bolt that needs to be removed is. They tell me it's not as easy as it looks and that the battery needs to be removed because according to the Tesla repair manual, those are the steps and it needs to be torqued in such a way that a socket wrench needs to be used and a regular wrench won't work. Battery needs to be removed because there's not enough clearance for a large socket wrench. Seems silly really. Now I have to tack on an extra hour or two to the labor for a simple 15 minute fix.

I have a problem with a joint in the suspension arm of my Tesla. Service center showed me where it was and I'm like, that's an easy fix. There's a 2-3 inch gap to get to where the bolt that needs to be removed is. They tell me it's not as easy as it looks and that the battery needs to be removed because according to the Tesla repair manual, those are the steps and it needs to be torqued in such a way that a socket wrench needs to be used and a regular wrench won't work. Battery needs to be removed because there's not enough clearance for a large socket wrench. Seems silly really. Now I have to tack on an extra hour or two to the labor for a simple 15 minute fix.

Problem as I see it is that you end up paying $150k for the car and then you get a repair like this that comes along and lets say Tesla wants $1,000 to fix and Joe Mechanic can do it for $650.

Yes, you saved $350, but did he do it right, did he follow the manual and was he competent to do the job. In the grand scheme of things, lets say you own the car for 10 years and you do one such "over priced" repair at Tesla per year, it would be $3,500 for the life of the car. My gut tells me, given the investment in the car, it's probably better to pay a bit more and just bring it into Tesla (who will at the very least, hopefully to the job right).

Point of reference: I had my Left front upper control arm replaced out of warranty in early 2017 due to a clunking noise when wheel was turned and a creaking sound at low speeds going over bumps etc. Repair was only $235.60 which I found very reasonable. Maybe they cut me a break on labor but I didn't ask for it.

Control arm.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: hpjtv
Point of reference: I had my Left front upper control arm replaced out of warranty in early 2017 due to a clunking noise when wheel was turned and a creaking sound at low speeds going over bumps etc. Repair was only $235.60 which I found very reasonable. Maybe they cut me a break on labor but I didn't ask for it.

View attachment 275907
Wow, that’s pretty reasonable. I’ll find out how much mine is in a few weeks, already booked in for the work plus yearly service. Funny thing is, it was making so much noise when I was in California, now I’m back in Canada, the noise is gone. Might be the higher humidity here...who knows. I wonder if they removed the battery in your case, most likely not because the labor charge is so low.

Wow, that’s pretty reasonable. I’ll find out how much mine is in a few weeks, already booked in for the work plus yearly service. Funny thing is, it was making so much noise when I was in California, now I’m back in Canada, the noise is gone. Might be the higher humidity here...who knows. I wonder if they removed the battery in your case, most likely not because the labor charge is so low.
Yeah I agree the labor seemed low, maybe they undercharged but I didn’t ask for any goodwill from them. I recall a difference in the noise I was hearing from the suspension depending on outside temperature also for some reason.