Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Tesla-certified MX pre-owned ever make sense?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm close to pulling the trigger on a new MX but in trying to be prudent, also investigating used models from Tesla. Does Tesla hold their used-fleet high so not to flood the depreciation market?

I find 2017 models with 50k miles only being $25k below a new build (28%). What's the feeling on the forum?

i bought mine used, and overall happy but there are LOTS of gotchas. I feel like you should hire an attorney to go through all the issues before buying a used one (kidding of course). And fwiw, used isn't "certified" in any way afaik

I bought an inventory (used) 2016 MX 75D a month ago (took delivery last week). just over 24k miles, FSD Capable, Free supercharging. She is in great shape. A couple small exterior marks, but for a 5 year old ride, she was above average. So far, so good. And, you can't beat the used warranty they give you (if you can ever get a service appointment).

I just got a Model X loaner from their internal fleet. Its a older P90D without side cameras so must be 2016 or 2017?

The touch screen MCU1 feels super sluggish. And the rear view camera looks so pixelated compared to our 2018 model w/ MCU 2.5

Definitely get a newer version if you can

I'd say buy the best you can afford, but if you find yourself shopping in the 70K+, consider spending a little extra to get into a Raven car. End of quarter has some nice deals pop up. I wanna say I saw a 49K mile 2017 AP2 75D with most upgrades in the mid 40's. Basic AP, no FUSC but still an okay price if that's your budget.

We bought our Inventory SR Raven 7 seat with 500mi including both FSD and FUSC for $70K (71 w destination) A 22.5K discount off 'sticker' or 17.5K off current revised pricing. We would have preferred a LR Raven but just couldn't justify the 12-13K average premium for a similar configuration.

Last edited:
I bought a 2016 MX P100D off the Tesla website, and I love it. My MCU 1 is perfectly fine for me. My "enhanced" AP 2.0 also works perfectly well for me. Once I get on the highway, my cars drives me to work every day. It does all the braking and accelerating while I drink my coffee (and keep an eye on the road). Free unlimited premium connectivity, free unlimited supercharging, super sound system, play any song I want any time I want, extreme acceleration, was in GREAT shape with only 47K miles. I paid dearly for it, but I got what I paid for, and I didn't have to pay the "new" price for the performance model. Someone else paid that hefty bill. The reason to go new is for the newer/longer range on the batteries. Can't argue with that.

A 2017 model X is a great car, but is more likely to have little gremlins than a newer model. The first model X's had a lot of little design flaws and it took them a few years to work everything out. It would also be missing the updated MCU, AP 3.0, updated suspension, more efficient motors, and faster charging. The MCU can be updated for a fee, and if the car has FSD it can be updated to AP 3.0.

Overall if you can swing the extra money I would go for the newer version. It has significantly better tech and most likely will be a better build quality. As other posters mentioned, there is also no such thing as a CPO Tesla anymore. Caveat emptor.

I bought a 2016 MX P100D off the Tesla website, and I love it. My MCU 1 is perfectly fine for me. My "enhanced" AP 2.0 also works perfectly well for me. Once I get on the highway, my cars drives me to work every day. It does all the braking and accelerating while I drink my coffee (and keep an eye on the road). Free unlimited premium connectivity, free unlimited supercharging, super sound system, play any song I want any time I want, extreme acceleration, was in GREAT shape with only 47K miles. I paid dearly for it, but I got what I paid for, and I didn't have to pay the "new" price for the performance model. Someone else paid that hefty bill. The reason to go new is for the newer/longer range on the batteries. Can't argue with that.

I bought my 2016 P90D used last December and my thoughts echo this (except the AP 2.0).

Mine was super clean with zero curbs or rash on the 22s. Key selling point was the 4 year, 50k mile warranty. I’ve had to use it several times, and they’ve replaced some major components. I saved 50% off new and saved on not having to fix items that would have been out of warranty.

If you dont mind me asking, how much was it? And during your commute you have to keep one hand on the wheel while you drink the coffee? Mine is constantly nagging for slight wheel movement. Maybe it does it more often the faster you drive?

If you dont mind me asking, how much was it? And during your commute you have to keep one hand on the wheel while you drink the coffee? Mine is constantly nagging for slight wheel movement. Maybe it does it more often the faster you drive?

I paid $75K, and the cost was well worth the car I got. Along with what I mentioned above, I also got the 4 year warranty and 4.5 yrs on battery and drive train. I wanted the 20" wheels since I tow with it, and the wheels are spotless. Good tires came on it too - Contis. I've used the warranty a couple times on small things, and it pays dividends. Well, you don't actually have to keep one hand on the wheel. You just have to jiggle it every so often. I've driven - I mean the car has driven this trip so many times now that I'm programmed to jiggle the wheel just about the time the car asks me to. Going 72-75mph the whole way. It's an enjoyable ride.

Reactions: njhtran
I paid $75K, and the cost was well worth the car I got. Along with what I mentioned above, I also got the 4 year warranty and 4.5 yrs on battery and drive train. I wanted the 20" wheels since I tow with it, and the wheels are spotless. Good tires came on it too - Contis. I've used the warranty a couple times on small things, and it pays dividends. Well, you don't actually have to keep one hand on the wheel. You just have to jiggle it every so often. I've driven - I mean the car has driven this trip so many times now that I'm programmed to jiggle the wheel just about the time the car asks me to. Going 72-75mph the whole way. It's an enjoyable ride.
That's a killer deal, i'm very jealous because I wanted the P100D. If you're going to tell me that you also go the free supercharging, I'm just going to do a table flip. thanks for the autodriving tip.

Sorry, I did get the free supercharging...
table-flip.gif