Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla MX and Rivian R1S Build Quality Reviews

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I stumbled across this detailers' build quality videos, finding one for both a new MX and R1S, and thought the folks here cross shopping these vehicles might find them of interest. I'll drop the links here so you can draw your own conclusions before adding my editorialization below:

Tesla MX

Rivian R1S

Overall, I think he's fairly impartial, and I found these to be useful in gauging each vehicle from a sort of worse-than-average perspective, as I wouldn't accept anything worse than these on delivery. That said, while the Tesla certainly seems worse overall (exterior wise), I feel he's much more critical of it than the Rivian in his voice track. There were a couple of things on the Tesla that he pointed to that I didn't think were problems at all, despite his focus, and most of the larger gaps on the Rivian got a pass as long as they were uniform. I still find that I agreed with his overall assessment.

After watching these through, it's pretty clear to me that most of Tesla's issues are due to all the complications and trim features making panel gaps and build inconsistencies apparent. This, as opposed to the Rivian, which uses design language employing broad, slab-like panels reminiscent of traditional SUVs, tending to minimize such issues at a glance. I also felt there was some discrimination with the minimal amount of (admittedly horrible) orange peel on the MX spoiler (these are never goign to look perfect when they're made of different materials) while he seemed to take no issue whatsoever to the very obvious orange peel covering the entirety of the R1S body.

He does a (comparitively brief) assessment of the interior materials quality and build, which I find pretty much spot on. He's one of the few that I've almost violently agreed with in his belief of the Tesla seat covering and interior panel materials being some of the best in the business from a tactile quality and wearability perspective. They have a different feel that is minimally less premium than high quality leathers in Audi/MB/Porsche, but overall I find that fine leathers wear extremely badly after as little as 6 months, particularly the really supple stuff they put in the upper trim models. R1S wood trim materials and aesthetic are really nice with the black interior, though I dislike the raised circular features on the seat cushions. I think both vehicles do a fine job of appearing to belong at their price point, despite all the clamoring of folks saying the MX doesn't look like a $80k car. Much of this is just the "fussiness" of the competition, and whether that is something you enjoy. Minimalist design will always look less "fancy" than the busier interiors in Audi and BMW vehicles.

Rivian_R1S,_Howard_Ave,_Burlingame_3 (1).jpg

"Rivian R1S, Howard Ave, Burlingame 3" by Mliu92 is licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
I noticed my Rivian-owning-neighbor driving a Ford yesterday, and asked him how he likes his Rivian that he doesn’t charge at home bc it’s too expensive to install a 240v power line in the garage. He said he loves it, but it’s currently in the shop bc it got water infiltration is the recent heavy rain days when Ophelia was passing up the coast. I’d have to research whether that was when he was on the outer banks or not, but I don’t think so. I think he was home here near Philadelphia.

The Rivian seats are much stiffer than practically every modern car I’ve driven in the past decade. That we couldn’t get over. So much so that my kid’s car seats didn’t leave an indention mark even after a month tied down pretty tightly.

Reactions: Neon001