Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does TeslaCam work on previously HW2.0 MCU1, now upgraded to FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had that done a few days ago. TeslaCam does work and is choppy, but works. So far I haven't seen any lagging of the MCU1, which is a common issue with the HW3/MCU1 Combo. Once you get the HW3 installed, you'll need to download and install a pretty large map/software update too.

Reactions: markn455 and Soda
Just had that done a few days ago. TeslaCam does work and is choppy, but works. So far I haven't seen any lagging of the MCU1, which is a common issue with the HW3/MCU1 Combo. Once you get the HW3 installed, you'll need to download and install a pretty large map/software update too.
I complained about the crappy video and choppy of the TeslaCam on my HW3 MCU1 car. Tesla told me that I need to be using the USB drive recommend in the owners manual. Turns out I am! I tried both of the suggested brands. The SanDisk seems a touch better than the Samsung but is still unacceptable. The video quality is crap. I needed the tag number off a passing car once. It was impossible to make it out. I can’t read tag numbers on any car that passes. I am thinking about trying a SD memory in a usb to SD adapter and see if that helps. Tesla tech said it’s because the system can’t write to the memory stick fast enough. I don’t believe them. I think it’s the MCU1 just can’t keep up and they use a lower resolution video on MCU1 because it’s a dog.

Im curious, with MCU2 upgraded as well, can you read license plates on the saved footage?

Or are the cameras themselves from HW2 vehicles too low resolution? Or are the low resolution videos simply due to the MCU1 saving them at a lower quality?