Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the 12 volt accessory plug in the trunk area of the Y stay active if car is turned off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As far as my understanding goes, even if the car in charging from an external charger the 12V battery does not operate unless you are driving or the car is on Camp mode. Others in the forum more knowledgeable than me please correct me if my understanding is wrong.
Thank you. Disappointing as it seems a bit of a waste to power up the whole car to power a cooler.

How about a separate independent fused line directly to the 12 volt battery. Will the car be smart enough to keep the 12 volt battery charged from the traction battery if there is a low current draw on the 12 volt battery?

Thanks in advance.

I think that is feasible, but please understand that the 12V battery is the achilles heel of the car - if that dies or falls below a certain voltage ( not sure of the exact voltage), it will lock you out of the car and you have to use the tow port power to open the trunk and get access to replace the battery. Not worth it if you are on a long trip. There are separate threads on how to replace a 12V dead battery.

Thank you. Disappointing as it seems a bit of a waste to power up the whole car to power a cooler.

How about a separate independent fused line directly to the 12 volt battery. Will the car be smart enough to keep the 12 volt battery charged from the traction battery if there is a low current draw on the 12 volt battery?

Thanks in advance.
I wouldn't say it can't work but the 12V battery is already under a significant load, rated for 45Ah. The 12V battery gets charged from the high voltage battery as needed.

If the Model Y is plugged in, even if only 120V, then the Model Y will charge the battery pack as needed. You can minimize the power used in Camp mode if you turn off the HVAC system or only run the HVAC fan. When powered on without the HVAC running the Model Y consumes ~250W, plus power for any accessories that may be plugged in.

From the owners manual:
B63F704C-0BA1-4A0C-9677-BC417CFBB9C0.jpeg

Yes, it stays powered on when sentry mode is enabled. I have been using a 12 volt fridge for about six months, and the only time it shuts off is when I disable sentry mode. Seems likely that sentry mode keeps the high voltage battery from sleeping?

I've read that the new Model Ys with the 16 volt battery keep the rear 12 volt outlet powered at all times, but I haven't seen an actual source for that. The current owner's manual states that:

Power is available whenever the vehicle is considered "awake". The vehicle may be awake for many reasons. For example, when using features such as Summon, or when features such as Preconditioning, Cabin Overheat Protection, Keep Climate On, Dog Mode, Camp Mode, Sentry Mode, etc. are enabled. The vehicle is also awake whenever the low voltage battery is being charged or is in use, during HV charging, when the vehicle is communicating with the mobile app, etc. Leaving an accessory plugged in does not deplete the low voltage battery.

I bolded the relevant section. It states the 12 volt outlets are powered up whenever the vehicle is awake, and that the vehicle is awake when the 12 volt outlets are in use. Rather recursive, but all I know is that I can leave my 12 volt cooler plugged in 24 hours a day and things stay cold. No sentry or camp mode being used.

Reactions: Misterbee
I've read that the new Model Ys with the 16 volt battery keep the rear 12 volt outlet powered at all times, but I haven't seen an actual source for that. The current owner's manual states that:

I bolded the relevant section. It states the 12 volt outlets are powered up whenever the vehicle is awake, and that the vehicle is awake when the 12 volt outlets are in use. Rather recursive, but all I know is that I can leave my 12 volt cooler plugged in 24 hours a day and things stay cold. No sentry or camp mode being used.
The 12V lead-acid battery has a capacity of 45 amp-hours (Ah). The 15.5V lithium has a capacity of 6.9Ah. I have read that Tesla has modified the power usage when the Tesla Model Y is in sleep mode to use less power but I have not read any specifications.

The 12V battery could run approximately 24 hours between being charged (topped up.) The 15.5V lithium battery would appear to only have ~1/6th the capacity of the older battery. It would make sense that the lithium starting battery needs to be charged more often than the lead-acid battery. The lead-acid battery could not withstand as deep a regular discharge cycle as the lithium battery so we are left with more questions.

Reactions: Misterbee
all I know is that I can leave my 12 volt cooler plugged in 24 hours a day and things stay cold. No sentry or camp mode being used.
Looks like I may need to correct this. I was camping over the weekend and using the 12 volt cooler. The first two nights all was fine, although on the third one I disabled sentry mode to save battery. When I woke up the cooler was also off. I tested this a little more when I got home and it looks like when sentry mode is off, the 12 volt outlet in the rear does indeed shut off when the car goes to sleep.