Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the 12 volt accessory plug in the trunk area of the Y stay active if car is turned off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another solution may be to use a battery pack that plugs into the accessory port and plug into that. Not sure if they work like a UPS or if they need to be manually turned on though. Might be worth a look.
I do use one of the smaller Jackery battery for this purpose. It fits within the left well just below the 12v socket, and it gets charged by the 12v. This gives me few hours (worst case) of "buffer time". But unfortunately, I do need to make sure DC or AC out button is on at the very beginning, and also if I happen to drain the battery down to 0%.

So not quite a UPS. I tried another cheaper Amazon model, and it too had a same issue. I wish if there was a model that just defaults to either DC or AC out.

When we do longer road trips though, we have a big Jackery battery that powers not just the fridge, but also a portable airfryer, an induction cooktop and a kettle.

• Informative
Reactions: MattM24
Looks like I may need to correct this. I was camping over the weekend and using the 12 volt cooler. The first two nights all was fine, although on the third one I disabled sentry mode to save battery. When I woke up the cooler was also off. I tested this a little more when I got home and it looks like when sentry mode is off, the 12 volt outlet in the rear does indeed shut off when the car goes to sleep.
Good to know. We’ll be doing this in a few weeks.

Question,

it's just for power outtage planning. I have the LIFEPO4 battery (Ecoflow Delta Pro) was power outtage generator which have 12V cig inputs. Supposingly if the battery is low and I'll charge it via cig adapter on model y, would I need to worry about draining 12V battery from my model y if I draw up 3.6KWhr from it?

I believe I read that if the 12V battery is low, Model Y will recharge it from HV. Looking for confirmations and experiences you guys have before purchasing a long cig extension cable.

Question,

it's just for power outtage planning. I have the LIFEPO4 battery (Ecoflow Delta Pro) was power outtage generator which have 12V cig inputs. Supposingly if the battery is low and I'll charge it via cig adapter on model y, would I need to worry about draining 12V battery from my model y if I draw up 3.6KWhr from it?

I believe I read that if the 12V battery is low, Model Y will recharge it from HV. Looking for confirmations and experiences you guys have before purchasing a long cig extension cable.
Maximum low voltage power is ~2kW or slightly below 2kW. Low voltage power comes from the onboard DC-to-DC Converter (part of the Power Conversion System). The only time the low voltage battery (formerly known as the 12V battery) provides power is when the Tesla vehicle is parked and enters Sleep mode. The low voltage battery is a 15.5V lithium battery rated at ~7Ah, so it is not going to provide a lot of power on its own for long periods of time. Otherwise, when not in Sleep mode, the Tesla Model Y remains in Standby mode* where the Tesla Model Y computers and other essential low voltage system. continuously draws between 220W and 290W (depending on model year and HW configuration). You could probably draw ~1.7kW from the low voltage accessory ports (formerly 12V accessory ports), combined for both accessory ports.

* Sentry mode cause the Tesla Model Y to remain in Standby mode, never enter Sleep mode. That is primarily why Sentry mode consumes 6% to 7% of the high voltage battery charge over 24 hours.

Reactions: Misterbee
Maximum low voltage power is ~2kW or slightly below 2kW. Low voltage power comes from the onboard DC-to-DC Converter (part of the Power Conversion System). The only time the low voltage battery (formerly known as the 12V battery) provides power is when the Tesla vehicle is parked and enters Sleep mode. The low voltage battery is a 15.5V lithium battery rated at ~7Ah, so it is not going to provide a lot of power on its own for long periods of time. Otherwise, when not in Sleep mode, the Tesla Model Y remains in Standby mode* where the Tesla Model Y computers and other essential low voltage system. continuously draws between 220W and 290W (depending on model year and HW configuration). You could probably draw ~1.7kW from the low voltage accessory ports (formerly 12V accessory ports), combined for both accessory ports.

* Sentry mode cause the Tesla Model Y to remain in Standby mode, never enter Sleep mode. That is primarily why Sentry mode consumes 6% to 7% of the high voltage battery charge over 24 hours.

Thank you @jcanoe ! This is valuable information to me.

Let me play back and make sure I understand what you said fully.

1. It's a 2023 Model Y, and I'll have it on Sentry Mode during extended outtage so that the car does not go to sleep mode.
2. The ecoflow battery/generator will plug in to charge via Model Y's cig charger, set to 100W drawing max (15.5V * 7)
3. Assuming drawing a total of 3.6KWhr max over a period of time (that's probably 5% of MY main battery).

Because there is a Power Conversion System in place where LV battery gets its power from HV battery, I shouldn't need to worry about Model Y unable to start afterwards like gas cars right?

Thank you again!

Reactions: Misterbee

1. It's a 2023 Model Y, and I'll have it on Sentry Mode during extended outtage so that the car does not go to sleep mode.
2. The ecoflow battery/generator will plug in to charge via Model Y's cig charger, set to 100W drawing max (15.5V * 7)
3. Assuming drawing a total of 3.6KWhr max over a period of time (that's probably 5% of MY main battery).

Because there is a Power Conversion System in place where LV battery gets its power from HV battery, I shouldn't need to worry about Model Y unable to start afterwards like gas cars right?

Thank you again!
What are you trying to do here? Taking one battery and using it to charge another battery and taking that to charge another battery will not result in using only 5% of your car’s battery. A lot will be lost along the way.

What are you trying to power? Why not power it directly from the car?
Also, I can’t verify, but I think I read somewhere about Tesla frowning upon using your car battery as a backup power unit. Wish I had a source for that.

Thank you again!
The Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual states that the low voltage accessory port is suitable for devices that draw up to 12A continuous (16A peak), the same would apply when using both low voltage accessory ports (12A continuous and 16A peak, total) amperage draw.

Instead of turning on Sentry mode (at home this might result in capturing multiple Sentry mode event false alarms) you could enable the Climate Control setting for Camp mode and turn off the Climate Control AC (the HVAC fan would continue to run at the lowest speed). The accessory ports and USB ports will remain powered when the Tesla Model Y is in Camp mode.

The actual voltage reading will vary +/- a few volts DC but the manual states that with the current Tesla Model Y that low voltage accessories need to be able to operate at 16V. Some power inverters can't operate above ~15V.

The low voltage battery has its own battery management board, will charge itself as needed using power from the Tesla vehicle's low voltage system. The low voltage system's voltage may be boosted to the full 16V when actively charging the 15.5V low voltage battery.