Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the Model 3 work if the center display is broken?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Simple question... if the center display gets broken, are you able to drive the car? I mean won't be able to see your speed, open garage doors, or most other operations in the car, but is it able to drive or is it dead?

Main reason for asking is I was taking my 11 yr old son to soccer practice, and as typical, he doesn't get all ready to go beforehand. So there is is putting his cleats on in the car. Puts his left leg up on his right knee and squeezing them in. I'm saying "be careful!" He gets it on, then puts his right foot up on his left knee, with the cleat right next to the screen. He's holding the loop in the back and pushing his heel into the shoe, and I'm getting visions of his foot slipping and taking out the screen with his cleats.

So I didn't have to panic any further, I had him stop and keep his foot on the floor while getting it on. But it made me curious if the screen getting damaged in some way makes the car dead in the water.

I believe that all of the normal driving functions work while the screen is damaged. You can apparently even reboot while you are driving and not run into any issues other than not being able to see the screen / use screen controls (not that I would want to try it).

You can snap the screen off and the car will still drive safely, as in steering, thrust, brakes, and signals. You can complete your trip.

You won't have comfort (HVAC) or any other conveniences controlled on screen.

You won't be able to start the car again after parking if PIN enabled, requires screen input.

Cleats don't go on feet in the car. Save it for the field.

You can apparently even reboot while you are driving and not run into any issues other than not being able to see the screen / use screen controls (not that I would want to try it).

I have had the MCU reboot during driving and indeed normal driving functions are not affected, but the climate control/media system does turn off.