Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the new 2016 fascia show rock chips more?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like the 2016 new front fascia has more painted surface area than previous design. So I am wondering if the rock chips will be more obvious to see. Or if the new design does a better job aerodynamically and minimizes rock chips somehow. I know this is very subjective to road conditions and geographic location. But I'm interested in MS owners who have the new design (without paint protection film) and if they're noticing the rock chips more, noticing less rock chips or cannot tell.

The reason is that I'm taking delivery next week and agonizing over paying even more for paint protection film. I've read a lot of the other threads on the clear benefits of PPF, but I have not seen anything mentioned about the new design and if rock chips will be really more pronounced and will make it look bad in several years without PPF. Clearly the previous black plastic nose cone was probably good at hiding the rock chips.

While I've been fortunate to avoid most rock chips, due IMO to the 5 microns of OCP and a reasonable driving style, my plan for the next chariot is:

0. paint correction.
1. film over the front clip, frunk, and fenders.
2. OCP or Permanon for the entire car.
3. Clearplex for the windshield. Micropitting started within the first few months with my windshield.

And just to round out the aftermarket expenses:

4. Tint - sides, rear, windshield, front pano panel
5. Dashcams
6. Reus audio components transfer
7. Possibly powdercoating the rims
8. Bel Pro 500 radar/laser detector
9. Onboard espresso maker
10. Extra 12VDC ports (2)

• Disagree
Reactions: Archimedes