Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the paint really suck this bad???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took delivery of my black MYP last week. AMAZING CAR.

I went and decided to debadge the trim badge like I do with all my cars. Heat gun and floss.

Got them all off and it pulled some of paint off with it. Unreal. Never had this happen before. Will they repair or am i better off buying some touch up paint?

qIYGGtE.jpg

Last edited:
Plenty of threads here about paint. I believe the consensus is the paint is just...too...fresh. The cars just aren't sitting around "curing" the way other cars do. They build/paint them, quickly put them on a truck/train, and in the hands of the consumer while the paint is just too soft. It makes sense to me

AFAIK, Tesla paint is chemically no different from any other car. It just needs the same amount of time to cure...some say at least 30-45 days, but don't quote me.

• Informative
Reactions: mrwug and jpy1980
Plenty of threads here about paint. I believe the consensus is the paint is just...too...fresh. The cars just aren't sitting around "curing" the way other cars do. They build/paint them, quickly put them on a truck/train, and in the hands of the consumer while the paint is just too soft. It makes sense to me

AFAIK, Tesla paint is chemically no different from any other car. It just needs the same amount of time to cure...some say at least 30-45 days, but don't quote me.
Well dang. Wish i would have waited. Gonna cost me a few hundred to repair this I’m sure

I went and decided to debadge the trim badge like I do with all my cars. Heat gun and floss.

Got them all off and it pulled some of paint off with it. Unreal. Never had this happen before. Will they repair or am i better off buying some touch up paint?

Yikes, sorry to see that. I had the rear stock emblems removed on my car a week after taking delivery. Fortunately didn't run into this issue. Good luck with the repairs.