Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the perfect wheel exist?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Theraven

Supporting Member
Feb 7, 2022
Arizona
Ok, I’m interested in doing a BBK for track days, spirited driving etc. I plan on buying some decent light wheels for weekend/summer fun but would like to retain current winter range on 18” aero wheels. The car is a commuter during the week. (And man do I have a long commute 96m 1 way)
I’m told there are no BBK’s that fit w/ aero wheels.
So is there a 18” wheel that fits a bbk but also won’t get much worse than the existing range on 18” Aeros?
Yes in short I want to have my cake and eat it too.
Any experience or help in this subject matter would be appreciated.
22 M3 LR

Existing thread on this matter:
Will 18" Aero wheel fit a car with Performance big brakes?

People have been able to get the 18" aeros to fit Performance Brakes by using a 5mm spacer and filing down the rear calipers. Some people reported later versions of the 18" aeros already have the hub machined to fit the performance hub, so only the calipers need to be shaved. See the thread for more details.

This post claims there is a Brembo kit that fits 18" aeros:
Question Regarding Performance Brakes vs non-P Brakes???

Reactions: Collutio
Consider the MPP 365mm 'Page Mill' front brake setup. It uses the stock caliper with a bracket so it doesn't take too long to remove the bracket and reinstall the factory brake disc. No caliper or pad change, no bleeding needed.

This might be workable for you if you;
a) change discs between summer and winter (and don't mind having a small range decrease all summer), or
b) you don't mind changing the discs before and after track days.

I've done the latter and it's not too bad considering I already change wheels and suspension settings before and after. Note that this upgrade doesn't add much width to the disc so you don't gain as much cooling capacity as some of the kits with wider discs and calipers.

Wheel size is not the primary area where the efficiency comes from.
Wheel SHAPE and tire TYPE matter a lot more.
You're not going to retain "18 inch range" if you put wide, sticky tires on an 18" wheel with a bad aero profile.
I totally get that. Which is why I'll buy another set of wheels for the sticky/wider tires. I was just trying to solve for a big brake kit and keep my range in the winter with factory Aero wheels or a aftermarket wheel that I can make my winter/efficency set that would net similar to stock 18" aero range. Hopefully that makes more sense.

Existing thread on this matter:
Will 18" Aero wheel fit a car with Performance big brakes?

People have been able to get the 18" aeros to fit Performance Brakes by using a 5mm spacer and filing down the rear calipers. Some people reported later versions of the 18" aeros already have the hub machined to fit the performance hub, so only the calipers need to be shaved. See the thread for more details.

This post claims there is a Brembo kit that fits 18" aeros:
Question Regarding Performance Brakes vs non-P Brakes???
Yes this touches on my desire, thank you. I just was hoping to fit brakes that were better than the performance ones under an 18" wheel. I guess I could just settle for some performance brakes though and follow this route
Also on the other link, I reached out to find out what Brembo 6 piston the guy used that clears 18" aeros, Thanks!

Last edited: