Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the SiriusXM app work well in a Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I ponder whether to switch to T-Mobile for streaming from SiriusXM not to count as data usage, I figured I would first ask you folks here if you can confirm that LTE data does indeed reliably reach a phone sitting on the Model 3’s charging station. Living in NJ where network coverage is fairly complete, my bigger concern is whether a phone sitting on the station is surrounded by too many electronic and metal components for the LTE data to consistently reach it.
Thanks in advance.

I have had a regular receiver and also used the phone app.... The settings in the app allow you to select the quality of the stream. Of course, the higher the stream, the more data.... That said, I replaced my receiver with the phone in my car and it has been pretty solid... The only downside for me is that the NFL doesn't broadcast via the online sub... So, no NFL when using the phone (at least for now). But, I just use Tune-in Pro for that....

• Informative
Reactions: ℬête Noire
I have had a regular receiver and also used the phone app.... The settings in the app allow you to select the quality of the stream. Of course, the higher the stream, the more data.... That said, I replaced my receiver with the phone in my car and it has been pretty solid... The only downside for me is that the NFL doesn't broadcast via the online sub... So, no NFL when using the phone (at least for now). But, I just use Tune-in Pro for that....
Excellent, thanks. To get the best quality and not worry about the data usage...T-Mobile, here I come for sure.

Yeah.... The app has a setting for Streaming Audio Quality - Normal/High/Maxium. It also has a Download Audio Quality with the same settings... I leave mine at High.... I was having some issues with the Maximum setting when I would have spotty cell service causing it to constantly buffer... Never really had too many issues with the High setting.

• Informative
Reactions: LBusDoor90
Doesn't this kind of miss the entire point of having SirusXM though? In the past I was constantly flipping between stations because songs I like came on. Does the app have that feature? I'd imagine it would be pretty dangerous to be constantly pressing buttons on the phone anyway. Not to mention illegal here in CA.