Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does this look like a new tire?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Service had to replace a front tire due to a screw puncture. The sidewall was dirty and tire has red and white marking in tread. Frankly, tire doesn't "look" new. Tesla says the dirt is due to residue on the machine that installs the tire and will wash off. On one hand I feel lucky it got resolved quickly, especially considering Tesla told me there was no local stock of 19" Continentals. Service seems to have produced this out of thin air and I don't want to make a federal case of it. But I'd like to know if tire is second hand and will ask SA tomorrow. Experienced opinions appreciated. Thanks!
IMG_5430.jpeg

IMG_5435.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5430.jpeg
    IMG_5430.jpeg
    536.8 KB · Views: 40
That is a new tire. The colored lines (stripes) on the tread are codes put there by the manufacturer and will wear off after a few days. Unlike many new tires the spec'd tread depth (when new) of the Continental Procontact RX 255/45R-19 tire is 9/32nd inch (many tires are spec'd at 10/32nd).
For reference, a used tire would not have these markings and will usually have some scrubbing or wear deformity from being driven on.

4D056A8A-9091-4E0F-935E-2F2A064405B4.jpeg

Reactions: TSLY
Upvote 0
It looks like it’s been mounted and driven. Not for long but definitely not brand new/never mounted or driven.
If they were brand new, those colored lines must be clearly visible not fading away like the white and red lines.
That is probably from the poster’s drive home. The molding nubs are still visible and the lines are barely worn, those would both be gone within a few miles. There can’t have been more than 10 miles at the time of photo.

Upvote 0