Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don’t believe MPGe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Texas 75th percentile gas price in recent 20 years:
$2.90/gal
M3LR consumption:
City 3.5mi/kWh, Hwy 3mi/kWh, Comb 3.25mi/kWh.
Avg electricity price for charging (of any kind):
$0.18/kWh
M3LR is actually just 52 combined mpg-e, 56 city, 48 highway.
Not something like 120+!!!!!!

Reactions: ElectricIAC
MPGe doesn't use the price of electricity or gasoline to figure the number, it is based on the energy equivalent of each source: 1 gallon of gasoline generates the same ‘heat energy’ as 33.7 kilowatt-hours of electricity.

If your EV uses 337 Watts per mile, it will use 33.7 kW per 100 miles. A gasoline vehicle would have to use one gallon of gasoline per 100 miles to match it.

My Teslas rarely use over 300 Wpm on a drive. My electricity also costs much less than $0.18/kWh (even without solar).

JAK

MPGe doesn't use the price of electricity or gasoline to figure the number, it is based on the energy equivalent of each source: 1 gallon of gasoline generates the same ‘heat energy’ as 33.7 kilowatt-hours of electricity.

If your EV uses 337 Watts per mile, it will use 33.7 kW per 100 miles. A gasoline vehicle would have to use one gallon of gasoline per 100 miles to match it.

My Teslas rarely use over 300 Wpm on a drive. My electricity also costs much less than $0.18/kWh (even without solar).

JAK
Putting that into perspective, my Model 3 has a lifetime average of 238 Wpm over 60k miles
Also 93% of all my charging over that period has been from home at around 9-10 cents a kW

Reactions: ElectricIAC