Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Done With All The Crap On ICE Cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lynnpt2001

Cookie Monster MX & M3
Sep 9, 2015
Greencastle PA
Just spent 10 hours replacing a valve cover gasket, spark plugs, wires and cleaning the Fuel injection system on my son's car, V6. Made me think, why do we need all this "crap" on a car. All this maintenance, replacement parts, oil leaks, fuel injectors and pumps....also made me think how disruptive a Tesla car is to all the companies that build the "crap" that is on all the ICE cars that would no longer be required if everyone owned a tesla. How many mechanics would not have a job, no more gas stations, no more of these mickey mouse oil change quick lubes, etc. How it would change the automotive world as we know it. Seems like Serenity in the Car World had begun.....!
P.S. No more grease spots in the parking lots at the mall.

Just had to replace the trans on my current car a few months ago (Pontiac G8). Shortly after that I had to do the timing chains. A couple thousand dollars in repairs that I won't have to ever worry about again when my Model 3 arrives. :)

The timing of the repairs almost caused me to not have enough for my reservation on 3/31. Would have pissed me off to no end had car repairs caused me to have to wait even longer for my Model 3.

Just had to replace the trans on my current car a few months ago (Pontiac G8). Shortly after that I had to do the timing chains. A couple thousand dollars in repairs that I won't have to ever worry about again when my Model 3 arrives. :)

The timing of the repairs almost caused me to not have enough for my reservation on 3/31. Would have pissed me off to no end had car repairs caused me to have to wait even longer for my Model 3.

Timing chains? I thought those were supposed to last for the life of the car. I've had to replace a snapped timing belt before, but never a timing chain. Mmmm....fun...trying to find that mark on the driveshaft pully in order to get the timing correct with the new belt; getting everything on the exact right notch of the belt. Those were the days.

Just spent 10 hours replacing a valve cover gasket, spark plugs, wires and cleaning the Fuel injection system on my son's car, V6. Made me think, why do we need all this "crap" on a car. All this maintenance, replacement parts, oil leaks, fuel injectors
I agree with the sentiment, although a good Japanese car goes a long way towards minimizing that crap.

Reactions: Pdub2015
Timing chains? I thought those were supposed to last for the life of the car. I've had to replace a snapped timing belt before, but never a timing chain. Mmmm....fun...trying to find that mark on the driveshaft pully in order to get the timing correct with the new belt; getting everything on the exact right notch of the belt. Those were the days.
The V6 model of G8 is notorious for timing chains stretching. When we got it apart the left bank chain was off by one link. I was lucky I didn't have a catastrophic failure the way I drive. ;)