Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door handle rebuild: how to remove pins from door handle outer fork?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in the process of repairing the left front door handle (Generation 2.0, I believe) of my 2014 Model S. It had a broken paddle gear as well as a broken door handle outer fork (part 1008961-00-C; it's the major price that pivots in and out to present the handles).

This fork has two pivoting pieces at the handle attachment end (opposite the motor/pivot end) that are the actual attachment points for the exterior handle proper. These pieces are attached to the fork with pins. How can I remove and replace these pieces and their pins? I need to transfer them from the old broken fork to the new fork. I would also like to not break the new part in the process...

The other pins and shafts haven't been a problem, but it appears that these pieces are secured in a different way.

Perhaps pictures would help?

Attachments

• IMG_8725.jpeg
    IMG_8725.jpeg
    331.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8726.jpeg
    IMG_8726.jpeg
    370.4 KB · Views: 3
Upvote 0
So to get the idea, you need to remove that rectangular piece from the broken pivoting fork? Looking at the photos it appears as if the second one shows the securing ring that is of different metal? If so, the only way I can think of is to brake this metal ring (or to change the shape of it) and get it off the fork. This need some attention and also new securing rings for them to be held on the new part. Would it be better to acquire a new part that does not need this level of attention?

Upvote 0