Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door handle slow to return

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

CharleyBC

Jun 28, 2019
Talent, OR
Well, after recently starting a thread about 18 months of zero service issues, I may have something.

A week or so ago i noticed that after pulling the driver’s door handle (outside) to open the door, it would not immediately return to its flush position. Then twice today after climbing in, I pulled the door closed, and it thudded and bounced back open. This is presumably because the latch is still open as a result of the handle still being out.

I didn’t find anything on this, but wondered whether anyone has experienced this, and what the solution was. I’m guessing it may be as simple as some lubrication.

Note: this has been above freezing and dry, so I don’t think that sort of thing is a factor.

Thanks for any tips!

This happened to my driver's door. Mobile service filed away some excess material from the handle and it's been fine ever since. He also mentioned that the door handle has been redesigned after our early batch of cars, so most owners shouldn't encounter this problem.

• Helpful
Reactions: jpfive
I read the manual cover to cover twice, and I don’t remember seeing that. Time to have my brain serviced.

thanks!

ah, probably cuz its here instead on tesla.com

Do It Yourself - Model 3

Applying WD-40 to Door Handle Pivot Pins

In severe winter conditions, applying WD-40 to door handle pivot pins can help prevent ice buildup that might immobilize the handle. Consider applying WD-40 to the door handle pivot pins if you are expecting freezing rain, heavy snow, or icy conditions. Reapply as needed.

• Helpful
Reactions: jpfive and m3snowy
I don't know the specifics of what he did to the mechanism. I didn't want to hover for the whole procedure. However, he did have to remove the whole driver's door panel to access the inside of the handle. Not recommended for DIY.
Actually, I’ve removed a Model 3 door panel. Not a breeze, but not bad. But if squirting some silicone will do it, that is a breeze!

HI, I've had my car 2 years and 1 day!!! The door handle did the same thing a year ago...they did their sanding magic... but it came back and this time they replaced the the guts....so make a note as the sand and lube thing may be temporary...So watch your warranty date and perhaps insist on a replacement if it even happens one more time in the near future.

HI, I've had my car 2 years and 1 day!!! The door handle did the same thing a year ago...they did their sanding magic... but it came back and this time they replaced the the guts....so make a note as the sand and lube thing may be temporary...So watch your warranty date and perhaps insist on a replacement if it even happens one more time in the near future.
Thank you
I'll raise it with SC so they have an audit trail should things need replacing

Well, after recently starting a thread about 18 months of zero service issues, I may have something.

A week or so ago i noticed that after pulling the driver’s door handle (outside) to open the door, it would not immediately return to its flush position. Then twice today after climbing in, I pulled the door closed, and it thudded and bounced back open. This is presumably because the latch is still open as a result of the handle still being out.

I didn’t find anything on this, but wondered whether anyone has experienced this, and what the solution was. I’m guessing it may be as simple as some lubrication.

Note: this has been above freezing and dry, so I don’t think that sort of thing is a factor.

Thanks for any tips!

I had this issue because it was gooped up from some soap I used to adhere PPF to the handles. So they might just be dirty. Try flooding the handles with water and clean them. Also I ended up spraying some silicon spray into the handle to lubricate. It returned to closing properly.

• Informative
Reactions: DaddyCool