Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door handle slow to return

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, after recently starting a thread about 18 months of zero service issues, I may have something.

A week or so ago i noticed that after pulling the driver’s door handle (outside) to open the door, it would not immediately return to its flush position. Then twice today after climbing in, I pulled the door closed, and it thudded and bounced back open. This is presumably because the latch is still open as a result of the handle still being out.

I didn’t find anything on this, but wondered whether anyone has experienced this, and what the solution was. I’m guessing it may be as simple as some lubrication.

Note: this has been above freezing and dry, so I don’t think that sort of thing is a factor.

Thanks for any tips!
see post #12 below for link to Tesla's video instruction for handle lubrication. This pinpointed the problem are for my 18m3 driver door handle.
FWIW-my m3 is california car, so no freezing conditions but lotsa dusty stuff and driving in dusty conditions.
I first tried silicon gel with qtip to the top of the spring area on the handle with no significant change. Switched to motorcycle dry spray chain lube and saw immediate improvement after cycling the door lever 10 or so times. I believe wd40 or other spray lube would work just as well, so long as applied sparingly. Best luck

see post #12 below for link to Tesla's video instruction for handle lubrication. This pinpointed the problem are for my 18m3 driver door handle.
FWIW-my m3 is california car, so no freezing conditions but lotsa dusty stuff and driving in dusty conditions.
I first tried silicon gel with qtip to the top of the spring area on the handle with no significant change. Switched to motorcycle dry spray chain lube and saw immediate improvement after cycling the door lever 10 or so times. I believe wd40 or other spray lube would work just as well, so long as applied sparingly. Best luck
Yep. I did the Tesla-recommended WD40 fix maybe 2.5 years ago, and it's been fine ever since.