Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door handle warranty service - any issue w having vinyl wrap?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MC408

Oct 1, 2018
CA
hey fellas.

Just checking to see if anyone has had a door handle serviced from Tesla SC after having chrome delete vinyl wrap done.

My door handle was not removed to get the wrap done and it’s strictly cosmetic, but I’m curious if SC would say it voids warranty cause its wrapped or maybe they will think I removed the handle.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks
MC

Not a problem, as long it did not cause the malfunction. (Which is not possible as the handles can be frozen in place with ice)

They will not move or wrap the new handle (if replaced)

This is at least true in Europe, US consumer rights are not good at all, so I can't tell in such case.

Reactions: MountainPass
As @Ande says, it shouldn't be a problem. Our wrapped December 2017 Model S started having a problem with the driver's door handle. They were able to fix the issue by replacing a gear and didn't mind the wrap at all.

We were a little surprised to have the problem though as I think this is the gen 3 handle and our other cars from 2016 and earlier in 2017 haven't had any door handle problems.

Reactions: VICTES
We had mobile service repair a rear door handle last year on our wrapped MS. The rep had no difficulty with the wrap and it wasn't damaged.

BTW, the handle problem was a plastic cable tie that was too tight, and actually pulled the connector off the switch. No parts were broken or defective, just human error while putting together the sub-assembly.

Thanks for the replies. I can tell by the action, it is unrelated to the wrap.

Nothing catching or sticking, rather the mechanism that actually opens the door, doesn’t engage after the door handle is fully presented. Then on occasion, it would not retract when locking.

I mainly wanted to make sure they didn’t consider vinyl wrap a modification that would void the warranty.

Sounds like they do not.

Thanks!

Reactions: VICTES