Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Downgrade from SR Plus to SR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all, first time posting today.

I ordered a SR plus on March 23rd.
Before the price changes.

The order said I should expect delivery in 2 to 4 weeks.

Then the price changes occurred. In my mind it makes no sense to continue with SR plus. I'm in Canada and it's $3,400 extra. And from what I see, it's the exact same interior. I ordered the black and white interior, and now I understand I can get that in an SR.

Since the price change, I've called, emailed, and used their live chat a number of times. My experience says that Tesla at this time doesn't have very quick customer service. It's taken sometime to talk to somebody live. I finally got through today. And was told what the process should be to downgrade to an SR.

I was told by the customer service representative that I cannot downgrade to an SR today They expect to provide the ability to downgrade within 4 weeks on the my Tesla web account.

I expressed concerns with this - that $3,400 charge will also have added taxes of 13 percent on top of this amount (I'm in Ontario). I expect to get the full cost with taxes back when I downgrade.

He told me to hold tight, they expect that option available in 4 weeks. I should take delivery of the car as ordered, don't worry about the 10-day return policy. And be comforted to know I will be able to downgrade through a software update in the future. Plus I should expect to get my money back. I am purchase financing the car.

The call was documented - reading these forms and knowing Tesla probably wants to get rid of the SR model - so this call doesn't give me total comforttoday.

Should I be concerned with Tesla not following through on their commitments?

I guess I have no option, I will accept the car as an SR plus and hope to downgrade shortly afterward. With $3842 CAD coming back to me in about 1 month from delivery.

Any thoughts on this?
Should I be concerned?
Has anyone been able to downgrade to an SR from SR Plus before they took delivery?

If you haven't taken delivery yet, I would ask customer service to change your order to an SR rather than taking delivery of an SR+ and downgrading later. Some people have taken delivery of the SR, but for the moment they've just received the SR+ and are expecting software locks sometime in the future.

In your case, I understand that the SR might just squeak under the Canadian luxury vehicle tax, while the SR+ does not, so it would be worth your time to get the paperwork changed to state you're purchasing the SR.

Reactions: neroden
I just got my car downgraded from SR+ to SR. I visited the store at Saturday 04/20, and they noted my request in their system and told me I should expect the change showing up in my account on Monday 04/22. But on Sunday 04/21 Morning, I see they already made the change and price adjustment (tax also adjusted). The VIN and delivery date stays the same for me (Saturday 04/26). I’m at California Bay Area. Hope this is helpful. I suggest you do the same instead of taking delivery of SR+ first.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and J-Ho
@Figo in addition to seeing the change recorded in your account - have you seen any changes in the performance and feature set of the car? ie do you still have a 240 mile range? heated seats? If so then perhaps those changes haven't been rolled out to you yet.

Cancel the order, receive your deposit back within 45 days.
Reorder it tgen.
The 35,000 car was never meant to be sold and it was smoke and mirrors. It's off menu now, because they are loosing money on it.
Did the Op get told that it will be a lot longer now, for delivery. ?

Cancel the order, receive your deposit back within 45 days.
Reorder it tgen.
The 35,000 car was never meant to be sold and it was smoke and mirrors. It's off menu now, because they are loosing money on it.
Did the Op get told that it will be a lot longer now, for delivery. ?

I asked about delivery time frames. As I'm at my 4 week wait time now. He could not tell me any details on an expected delivery schedule.

I'm not surprised he didn't suggest a time frame. He also said there is no new model 3 stock in his system.

I know that it still says a 2 to 4 week delivery if you order today.

Maybe what I'll do is order one over the phone today. Keep my other order. And see which base SR I can get first.

I'm very hesitant to take delivery on an SR plus based on everything in reading in these forms.

Reactions: neroden and xtcEV
@Figo in addition to seeing the change recorded in your account - have you seen any changes in the performance and feature set of the car? ie do you still have a 240 mile range? heated seats? If so then perhaps those changes haven't been rolled out to you yet.
The dealer at Fremont factory show room showed me a comparison chart of the features for SR, SR+ and LR. The only differences between the first two trim are optional autopilot, fog light and immersive sound (20 miles difference would be obvious so they did not include it in the chart). Everything else are exactly same, including heated front seat and map. It’s the same chart as someone else posted in here in this forum. You may look for it.

I remember hearing that SR+ owners (even who have already taken delivery) would be given the option to downgrade within our portal "in a few weeks". I don't think I would do that but I haven't seen option either. My friend's SR still has all the features of my SR+ including the 240 miles of range even after he's had it for a month.

Something doesn’t sound right here. Many people have successfully ordered an SR+ and had a Tesla sales rep downgrade the order to an SR prior to delivery. I can’t say specifically about Canada, but I can’t imagine why they would do this for US vehicles and not Canadian vehicles.

To my knowledge, nobody has successfully purchased an SR+ and convinced Tesla to downgrade it to an SR and issue a refund. There is a long thread in this forum about people trying to get Tesla to do this and nobody has been successful. Most of the attempts have resulted in people speaking to reps at Tesla that have no idea how to do this or if it will ever be done.

I would be very skeptical of what the salesperson is telling you here. Try calling headquarters and see if they can downgrade your order to an SR. Do not take delivery of an SR+ unless you are prepared to live with it permanently being an SR+. Remember most Tesla salespeople say things that are just plain wrong. I’m not suggesting they are intentionally misleading you. But they often are just misinformed.

• Love
Reactions: neroden