Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

24 Model 3 SR "Highland" review from an enthusiast's POV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We own and love a "tent built" 2019 SR+. Every version of a 2019 Model 3 was cross-shopped with every available wheel and tire option. Settled on the SR+ on 19 inch wheels for the additional steering feel and responsiveness compared to the other models. Specifically, the weight of the front drive unit and larger battery just took a little something away from the responsiveness of the OG 3. Range was never the promised 240, not even close. More like 218 and now 204 with 12% battery degradation at 70K miles. Surprisingly, the 2019 has never gotten loose or sloppy. The upper control arms squeaked and were replaced, a 12V battery and one change of rubber despite my somewhat hard driving on the car. Haven't had problems with rattles or loose bit noises, although it is naturally a loud car with lots of wind and tire noise.

We also had two friends buy 2023's. A little more refined and a little heavier. Just explained all of this so the reader has a foundation.

The 2024 surprised me with just how different it is:
+ The refinement is what Mercedes had back when it made supremely comfortable cars (like a W210 with better steering and much better power). Got the sense the car would last forever.
+ Interior noise is controlled like the best Audi's. The interior fit and finish (because the LED catches the eye and it is spot on) is an entire class higher.
+ The new steering wheel is smaller and comes easily to hand. I think the blinkers are fine and will be a quick adjustment. Like other things "Telsa" you will become annoyed with cars that require the extra effort to grab a stalk, eventually.
+ The sightlines appear BETTER than the OG M3, which was already an industry best. Just drove a 993 Porsche 911 and even it doesn't have a cowl this low. The visibility has to be the best of any car currently in production making this a supremely easy car to drive and it adds confidence to the operator.
+ Didn't try the audio system, but, the rest of the interior's sound profile is a MUCH better place to start from. The SR does have speakers disabled (compared to the LR). In the OG I find myself trying to adjust music around the wind and tire noise.
+ Surely the LFP battery is a better choice for most people. Should be "infinite" in human terms.
+ Throttle mapping and brakes are just so spot on. No car has ever done this as well as Tesla.

O The car may not be THAT much quieter. It may be that the frequencies are just better managed. Instead of "whAack" think a better-sounding "whump."

- The new car is heavier, but the weight is well managed. While the OG M3 is light enough to be flicked around (and even tease lift throttle oversteer out of it) the new car did not feel like it would like being pushed that hard. The OG is an eager puppy.
- The new car feels a second slower 0 to 60. The OG M3 had a strong enough pull to keep up with most sports cars 0 to 60. This car is more in the league of a M7 GTI. You'll still beat a Camry, but not by car lengths anymore.
- OG M3 owners will keep checking to see if the car is in "chill." Nope, that's all there is unless you pay for more.

In conclusion, this is a very much-improved Model 3 for the vast majority of buyers who would never cross-shop a Mustang GT or something with an BMW M badge with a Model 3 SR. It is worth the $7,000 more than what someone might get a last-gen car for. But enthusiasts might want to spec the 19 inch wheels and put it on some summer tires or just wait for the performance M3.

The "highland" leaves me very eager to try a Model Y with these same updates. We bought a model X for the "grace, space and pace." A Model Y with the same enhancements as this year's M3 might be a really comfortable, useful, honest (simple) and damn near Luxurious Utility Vehicle.

This Model 3 makes me excited for what Tesla is capable of. We know they have the engineering chops. I've never sensed they knew how to build a refined car until now.
1707160884709.png

Image credit - Clean Technica / Tesla

Wow. This reminds me of reading gun forums. How many people really need 230 miles of range. Even in an emergency I can drive from Nashville to Memphis in just over 200 miles. Do I really need to have that much range “just in case?” Some gun forum guys advocate carrying 3 pistols all the time “just in case”. I’m so done with this discussion. I made a comment that charging to 100% daily is not without consequences. Attached 2 different scientific papers and never got a rebuttal dispute 2 challenges to prove me wrong. FWIW 80% is every bit as bad as 100% per the data submitted. The ledge where calendar degradation is approximately doubled is 55% NCA, 60% NCMA and 70% LFP.

Have a great day

Most people don't do 240 miles per day so don't need 240 miles of charge. 150 miles would be more than enough. No one is saying don't charge higher when you need it but if you aren't doing 240 miles per day why degrade the battery more by having it at a higher percentage for no reason.

Also we weren't talking 80% were we, you were suggesting charging to 100% and leaving it there. 80% isn't nearly as bad as 100%.
You wanted me to give numbers. I gave you numbers.

Now that you see the numbers you try to change the conversation.

80% is being calculated
"But's let just go to basic math. If I charge to 50% every day (150 miles available on a 300 mile battery) vs 80% (240 miles). But assuming 10 mile loss, the 80% charge becomes 232 miles of range. 150 vs 232."

Charging to 50% vs 80% steals possible miles and doesn't give them back.

The argument that most people don't do 240 miles per day, so do 150 is a bad argument. Why not 100 miles? Whay not 50 miles? Why not 500 miles? I can play it to any number to justify any numbers.

But back to the important stuff, the "cost" of charging to 80% vs 50% is unknown. And as the Model 3 batteries are getting older, the "cost" seems to be decreasing, the failures and degradation just really isn't happening that badly. I'm at 6 years of mostly 90% charging. My battery is still relatively happy.
And 6 years ago, lots of folks really questioned if the battery would even last this long.

You wanted me to give numbers. I gave you numbers.

Now that you see the numbers you try to change the conversation.

80% is being calculated
"But's let just go to basic math. If I charge to 50% every day (150 miles available on a 300 mile battery) vs 80% (240 miles). But assuming 10 mile loss, the 80% charge becomes 232 miles of range. 150 vs 232."

Charging to 50% vs 80% steals possible miles and doesn't give them back.

The argument that most people don't do 240 miles per day, so do 150 is a bad argument. Why not 100 miles? Whay not 50 miles? Why not 500 miles? I can play it to any number to justify any numbers.

But back to the important stuff, the "cost" of charging to 80% vs 50% is unknown. And as the Model 3 batteries are getting older, the "cost" seems to be decreasing, the failures and degradation just really isn't happening that badly. I'm at 6 years of mostly 90% charging. My battery is still relatively happy.
And 6 years ago, lots of folks really questioned if the battery would even last this long.
The discussion started about degradation of LFP batteries, hard science was presented to you and you just claim that Tesla use different chemistry in their LFP batteries so it won't impact them. No proof that they are impacted less.

Then rather than talk about the topic, you start changing it to talk about ranges and other stuff not related to LFP degradation at 100% SOC. Now you are also telling me about your 6 year old M3 that doesn't have an LFP battery and you aren't charging it to 100%.

I'm also out, it's not possible to have a discussion with you on a single topic. You are all over the place.

Reactions: KenBlub
The discussion started about degradation of LFP batteries, hard science was presented to you and you just claim that Tesla use different chemistry in their LFP batteries so it won't impact them. No proof that they are impacted less.

Then rather than talk about the topic, you start changing it to talk about ranges and other stuff not related to LFP degradation at 100% SOC. Now you are also telling me about your 6 year old M3 that doesn't have an LFP battery and you aren't charging it to 100%.

I'm also out, it's not possible to have a discussion with you on a single topic. You are all over the place.

Same subject. You bring up degradation as this big bad ugly monster. I ask you to qualify just how big and ugly the monster is.

Again, give me real-life numbers of what a user should expect at 2, 5, 10 years. How many extra days above a certain level am I going to get? What it that level going to be over time. Miles, kWh, but not the worthless percentages.

A percentage of an unknown percentage is a bogus percentage.

For example, there's 100% chance that the Earth is going to crash into the sun.

• Disagree
Reactions: FastLaneJB
We own and love a "tent built" 2019 SR+. Every version of a 2019 Model 3 was cross-shopped with every available wheel and tire option. Settled on the SR+ on 19 inch wheels for the additional steering feel and responsiveness compared to the other models. Specifically, the weight of the front drive unit and larger battery just took a little something away from the responsiveness of the OG 3. Range was never the promised 240, not even close. More like 218 and now 204 with 12% battery degradation at 70K miles. Surprisingly, the 2019 has never gotten loose or sloppy. The upper control arms squeaked and were replaced, a 12V battery and one change of rubber despite my somewhat hard driving on the car. Haven't had problems with rattles or loose bit noises, although it is naturally a loud car with lots of wind and tire noise.

We also had two friends buy 2023's. A little more refined and a little heavier. Just explained all of this so the reader has a foundation.

The 2024 surprised me with just how different it is:
+ The refinement is what Mercedes had back when it made supremely comfortable cars (like a W210 with better steering and much better power). Got the sense the car would last forever.
+ Interior noise is controlled like the best Audi's. The interior fit and finish (because the LED catches the eye and it is spot on) is an entire class higher.
+ The new steering wheel is smaller and comes easily to hand. I think the blinkers are fine and will be a quick adjustment. Like other things "Telsa" you will become annoyed with cars that require the extra effort to grab a stalk, eventually.
+ The sightlines appear BETTER than the OG M3, which was already an industry best. Just drove a 993 Porsche 911 and even it doesn't have a cowl this low. The visibility has to be the best of any car currently in production making this a supremely easy car to drive and it adds confidence to the operator.
+ Didn't try the audio system, but, the rest of the interior's sound profile is a MUCH better place to start from. The SR does have speakers disabled (compared to the LR). In the OG I find myself trying to adjust music around the wind and tire noise.
+ Surely the LFP battery is a better choice for most people. Should be "infinite" in human terms.
+ Throttle mapping and brakes are just so spot on. No car has ever done this as well as Tesla.

O The car may not be THAT much quieter. It may be that the frequencies are just better managed. Instead of "whAack" think a better-sounding "whump."

- The new car is heavier, but the weight is well managed. While the OG M3 is light enough to be flicked around (and even tease lift throttle oversteer out of it) the new car did not feel like it would like being pushed that hard. The OG is an eager puppy.
- The new car feels a second slower 0 to 60. The OG M3 had a strong enough pull to keep up with most sports cars 0 to 60. This car is more in the league of a M7 GTI. You'll still beat a Camry, but not by car lengths anymore.
- OG M3 owners will keep checking to see if the car is in "chill." Nope, that's all there is unless you pay for more.

In conclusion, this is a very much-improved Model 3 for the vast majority of buyers who would never cross-shop a Mustang GT or something with an BMW M badge with a Model 3 SR. It is worth the $7,000 more than what someone might get a last-gen car for. But enthusiasts might want to spec the 19 inch wheels and put it on some summer tires or just wait for the performance M3.

The "highland" leaves me very eager to try a Model Y with these same updates. We bought a model X for the "grace, space and pace." A Model Y with the same enhancements as this year's M3 might be a really comfortable, useful, honest (simple) and damn near Luxurious Utility Vehicle.

This Model 3 makes me excited for what Tesla is capable of. We know they have the engineering chops. I've never sensed they knew how to build a refined car until now.
View attachment 1015631
Image credit - Clean Technica / Tesla

So its the same as the 2023 Model 3. Everything you wrote is what I felt about the 2023 compared to the OG 2018 I had.

A lot of noise here re charging LFP batteries. I'm picking up my new 2024 RWD on Monday. What does Tesla recommend?

I've been adhering to their 80/30 recommendation on my current car whenever practical. My current SOH on the battery is at 94.2% and has been so for the last 18 months. Pretty stable.

We have a 2021 LFP SRP and a 2022 LR and although it's easier just plugging in every night to 100% (if you want) we have noticed zero difference in ownership. People are prone to say whatever they own as the best and tout its benefits...meh. They are cars we drive them...

One thing I notice is that the charging cycles is higher on our LFP but we'll never own it to the 1500 cycles or whatever I read they are expected to do.

Very happy with the current range of 235 after 3 years on the SRP LFP and 330 on the Long Range as these are daily commuter cars and I have 3 ICE vehicles as well.

IMG_0777.png
IMG_0778.png

IMG_0779.png

IMG_0780.png

An 'enthusiast" discussion where half the participants drive around at a low state of charge, crippling the performance of the car, because they are worried about supposed degradation on a battery that is under warranty for 8 years. Charge that thing up and drive it like a real enthusiast.
How does a lower state of charge cripple the performance of the car?

I’m not worried about the degradation of your cars batteries and clearly none of you are either. The point where this started was does a LFP battery degrade more if left at 100% than left at a lower SOC and it does. The point that you don’t care about it doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen.

You can see from BMWM3Man that his LFP car is degrading more against the fleet average than his non-LFP battery car where he no doubt doesn’t charge it to 100%. He’s happy with this and that’s fine, it’s his call.

It’s just about the view that because you need to charge the LFP to full regularly so it’s BMS works properly that this means it doesn’t degrade at 100% more.

I’m not worried about the degradation of your cars batteries and clearly none of you are either. The point where this started was does a LFP battery degrade more if left at 100% than left at a lower SOC and it does. The point that you don’t care about it doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen.

You can see from BMWM3Man that his LFP car is degrading more against the fleet average than his non-LFP battery car where he no doubt doesn’t charge it to 100%. He’s happy with this and that’s fine, it’s his call.

It’s just about the view that because you need to charge the LFP to full regularly so it’s BMS works properly that this means it doesn’t degrade at 100% more.

You are correct...we don't worry whatsoever about "degradation". We charge them like Tesla recommends and drive them like we stole them! We do charge the LFP SRP to 100% almost all of the time...unless we forget to plug in.

It should be noted that the LFP SRP is a bit older (Sept 2021) than our Long Range (March 2022) thus the more charging cycles and degradation.

IMG_0782.jpeg
IMG_0781.jpeg

An enthusiast, as opposed to a driver who floors the car once a week for two seconds and shits their pants, knows that power output drops as SOC decreases, especially below 80% and 50%. An enthusiast would also choose a Performance, rather than an LR or standard. I would rather spend 8 years beating on my car, charging it as high as I like, and hoping that a bad battery will fail within the warranty period. If not, whatever, it's 8 years old and I either won't own the car any longer, or I'll take advantage of a $2,000 repair to the affected cells/module. Even the Plaid with its far superior battery will experience a drop in power as SOC drops, although it is not nearly as drastic as the 3. However, in cold temperatures, the Plaid is down a good 250-300 horsepower, that's just the nature of current battery technology.

That’s perfect. I drive 30% on city roads with a 35Mph limit and 70% on highways with a 65MPH limit. Doing 80 in a 35 doesn’t sit well with the local police. My 0-60 in 4.2 is plenty fast for my travels. I’m glad you live in an area where you can beat on your car. At least you appreciate it’s not without some downside My daily commute is 60 miles. I get 165 on a 50% charge. Why wouldn’t I charge to 50% each day if there is an advantage to doing so. I’m not drag racing from stoplight to stoplight. There are 2 SuC within 15 miles. There is no emergency that demands I not take 15 minutes to more fully charge if needed.

We have a 2021 LFP SRP and a 2022 LR and although it's easier just plugging in every night to 100% (if you want) we have noticed zero difference in ownership. People are prone to say whatever they own as the best and tout its benefits...meh. They are cars we drive them...

One thing I notice is that the charging cycles is higher on our LFP but we'll never own it to the 1500 cycles or whatever I read they are expected to do.

Very happy with the current range of 235 after 3 years on the SRP LFP and 330 on the Long Range as these are daily commuter cars and I have 3 ICE vehicles as well.

View attachment 1056230Just FYI I’d check your battery specs on your 22 Model 3 LR. I believe it had an 82.1 FPWN capacity not the 77.8 reported by Tessie. Please check. If true, your degradation is 72.6/82.1 or 8.8%. I may be wrong but I don’t think so. I believe it was rated for 358 miles and if you are getting 330 that’s 330/358 or 9.2% degradation

View attachment 1056230Just FYI I’d check your battery specs on your 22 Model 3 LR. I believe it had an 82.1 FPWN capacity not the 77.8 reported by Tessie. Please check. If true, your degradation is 72.6/82.1 or 8.8%. I may be wrong but I don’t think so. I believe it was rated for 358 miles and you are getting 330 for 9.1 degradation

View attachment 1056230Just FYI I’d check your battery specs on your 22 Model 3 LR. I believe it had an 82.1 FPWN capacity not the 77.8 reported by Tessie. Please check. If true, your degradation is 72.6/82.1 or 8.8%. I may be wrong but I don’t think so. I believe it was rated for

An enthusiast, as opposed to a driver who floors the car once a week for two seconds and shits their pants, knows that power output drops as SOC decreases, especially below 80% and 50%. An enthusiast would also choose a Performance, rather than an LR or standard. I would rather spend 8 years beating on my car, charging it as high as I like, and hoping that a bad battery will fail within the warranty period. If not, whatever, it's 8 years old and I either won't own the car any longer, or I'll take advantage of a $2,000 repair to the affected cells/module. Even the Plaid with its far superior battery will experience a drop in power as SOC drops, although it is not nearly as drastic as the 3. However, in cold temperatures, the Plaid is down a good 250-300 horsepower, that's just the nature of current battery technology.
These so called “enthusiast” that keep chipping into this thread should know we are talking about the RWD LFP battery Tesla. They’d know that it’s not battery limited in its performance at different SOC until you get the battery extremely low to almost flat, same as the LR. Only the Performance has that problem where its battery limited and higher SOC’s make a difference.

So you don’t get more performance on a LFP battery car at a higher SOC, all you are doing is degrading the battery more than it needs. If you don’t care then that’s fine but the point still stands that the science is sound so not sure what the point of this discussion is. All you and others are saying is that you don’t care.

Also would an enthusiast in an ICE car warm up the oil before they go WOT or they’d just go straight WOT from cold? They’d like to look after their car because they like cars and want to preserve it. This isn’t really any different, some people here want to preserve their car better and others don’t, neither is right or wrong it’s just a choice. But those that preserve it aren’t enjoying it any less or missing out on anything here.

Finally was able to see in detail the new model 3. Overall it’s fine. I don’t like how the roof looks from the back and hate the pointy front end. And although I am sure I would get used to it I didn’t like not having the stalks.

Bottom line at this point I wouldn’t trade in either of my 3’s for the new version. I hope they improve it by time I’m ready…

YMMV

Reactions: T3SLAROD
You made a comparison to Mercedes. That's pretty high praise. I own a Mercedes also.

I am getting serious about updating. Do you still stand by your comparison? Is it really that much better?

And yes, I like my rough and tumble lightweight, snappy, firmly sprung and responsive SR+. The ride can be tiresome at times though on these crappy roads these days.

It has now been a while since I drove the 24 Model 3. Those memories have faded a bit. I did make a trip over to Stuttgart and highly recommend every car enthusiast to see the Mercedes Museum. There is nothing is Mercedes current line up that excites me. But the 1950's SLRs leave me speechless. I just sat and stared at them.

1718725654308.png

The availability and pricing of the 24 M3 Performance is extremely compelling for someone who wants something a bit special. I will end up buying it.

The rub is that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the 2019 M3. I still audibly say "I love this car" when I drive it. It has depreciated quite a bit, down to $18,000 or so. My considerations:
  • Is the 2019 car worth $18K - YES!
  • Is the 2024 M3 Performance worth $58,000 (red on white) - YES!!
  • Is it worth $40,000 more than a 2019 car? - eh' uhm' I dunno ....
The 2024 Model 3 is a much more refined car than the 2019. The LFP SR is noticeably heavier and slower. I have not driven the Performance yet. I like and respect Jason Camissa and he says the Performance is specf****ingtacular.

Last edited:
Reactions: ewoodrick