Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dreaded milling sound appeared today — have a 400 mile drive home: Advice sought

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my way to Emerald Isle North Carolina from Baltimore the dreaded milling sound appeared in my last hour of the drive. Prior to that I got a vibration on hard acceleration — that’s been there for about a month. Assume the drive unit has a major problem and will have to be replaced.

I’m here for two weeks on vacation, so not much driving to do. But I have a near 400 mile trip home.

What are the odds that the drive unit will fail leaving me stranded? What advice would others give to avoid a failure of the DU?

The vibration if from the front upon hard acceleration in my case turned out to be half shafts. Both were replaced with "a new design from a different supplier". 10,000 miles later, the vibration is back, but this time they say it's normal due to torque. Bleh. I have a note to get a second opinion from a different SvC one of these days.

As noted above, have no worries about the "standard" milling noise - I also had that appear during a road trip one day. The SvC said it would continue to get louder and to deal with it when I got home. So about 15,000 miles later, it was added to an annual service visit - extended the service appointment by just one day.

Here is a list of Tesla noises both normal and abnormal. Please see #14.

Also, this discussion from last year might be of some use.

• Informative
Reactions: Corsair
No short term worries. One minor advantage to combining this with a regular service is that you might be able to get them to reduce the cost of the service because some parts of the service may not need to be done due to replacing the drive unit. Saved me a few bucks.

You've already got the idea but I'll add to the point about having other things done at the same time. I bought a used one that had been in a relatively minor accident, and the current owner was sure that Tesla wouldn't cover the drive unit under warranty. I went ahead and scheduled the 50,000 mile inspection, since I was at 48k, and they not only did the Drive Unit under warranty but a whole bunch of other things as well. Best $800 I ever spent!