Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor DRIVE Electric for Tesla, a wearable app for Wear OS - support

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
DRIVE Electric for Tesla v3.6.0 (WearOS) - coming soon.
Release notes

- Added two more optional tiles. A KeyFob tile and an Unlatch tile. The unlatch tile can unlatch any door, not just the driver's door. These tiles require the Tesla Key to be set up and connected via Bluetooth.

View attachment 891053

PS! As of 2023, the Tizen version of DRIVE Electric for Tesla is no longer available for purchase on Galaxy Store.
Oh man, any other way to get it?

Any chance we can get the latest version for tizen? Lay to the game and really want to use my galaxy s3 with my tesla. I’d be happy to Venmo the cost if you could maybe send me the APk - thanks!
Hi. I'm sorry but the Tizen version is no longer for sale and pulled from the store. The Tizen equivalent to the APK can not be freely distributed as they are protected with a certificate and won't install on your watch. Best regards Runar

DRIVE Electric for Tesla v3.6.5 (WearOS) - out now.
Release notes

- Added a new dialog box to manage and whitelist the Bluetooth key. It is now one of the six menu items in the app menu. Hopefully this is a little bit more intuitive. The software menu item is moved from the app menu to the vehicle information menu.
- Added the totally useless remote boombox command for boombox equipped vehicles... (aka fart sound)
🙂

- Improved Bluetooth stability (GW4 especially).
- Improved vibrate/notifications. To receive buzzes or notifications when the screen is off you might also need to unblock the watch app in the notification settings on your phone.
- Shake to connect: Not only the vibrator, but the accelerator sensor is also unavailable when the screen is off. I've been testing it for a while now forcing the sensors awake and it's using too much watch battery. Added a warning instead that you need to turn on the screen (not the app) before shaking it to connect. I have also removed this option for watches without the accelerator sensor. Still working on this feature...
- The Controls menu now defaults to the grid view. Change between different layouts in app settings.
- Bug fixes.

20230205_213952.jpg

DRIVE Electric for Tesla v3.6.9 (WearOS) - out now.
Release notes

- Cleaned up code after removing the "last_vehicle_data" endpoint.
- Fix for watch complication not always updating.
- Storage of selected information, which is only available when the vehicle is awake, to support ie. map and compass views when the vehicle is asleep. For the odometer the symbol * is shown when the "last known" value is used.
- Small increase in G-force needed to trigger "shake-to-connect".
- Removed unnecessary androidx.legacy library.
- Other bug fixes.

20230301_183758.jpg

Last edited:
@KlokkProjects could you briefly describe you app vs watt time? Any specific advantages? I'm not familiar with either but looking to get a Tesla app for my galaxy watch 5 - which runs wear os.
I believe the main difference is that DRIVE Electric... combines Bluetooth, NFC and internet in one app, whereas the other app has a separate app for the Bluetooth part. Apart from that they pretty much do the same, I will imagine.
Summon & Smart Summon will come to DRIVE Electric for Tesla in v3.7.0 within a few weeks.

Best regards Runar

I'm a bit confused about how this functions. If your app turns my galaxy watch 5 into a key card, then I have to tap the B pillar to unlock and get in, the take the watch off and put it on the card reader in the car to drive it, then put the watch back on and tap the B pillar as I leave to get it to lock the car. Not very convenient, for emergency use only. It would be much more usable if it turned the watch into the equivalent of a key fob which enables the automatic unlock and lock functions and does not require the B pillar and card reader interfaces in the car.

I'm a bit confused about how this functions. If your app turns my galaxy watch 5 into a key card, then I have to tap the B pillar to unlock and get in, the take the watch off and put it on the card reader in the car to drive it, then put the watch back on and tap the B pillar as I leave to get it to lock the car. Not very convenient, for emergency use only. It would be much more usable if it turned the watch into the equivalent of a key fob which enables the automatic unlock and lock functions and does not require the B pillar and card reader interfaces in the car.
I've activated the DE Tesla NFC key card functionality for my Galaxy watch 5 Pro. I use it only occasionally, when the Bluetooth-based phone key functionality decides to take a nap (this usually seems to be an issue with the app on the phone side, but less often maybe due to a glitch in the cars Bluetooth status. Cycling phone Bluetooth off and on again usually restores function but not always).

I find it to be an excellent backup feature that is currently unsupported by any other Galaxy or WearOS watch app. I think the use case is typically not to rely on the watch NFC for everything including driving, but more as a backup alternative and or car access for people who want to exercise outside without their phone, or if the phone died or was lost while you were shopping etc. Sometimes when I'm at home, I may be wirking outside without my phone and decide I want to move something in or out of the car.

I think it's still advisable to carry a real key card in your wallet or purse, but I don't see any downside to another proven backup for unanticipated situations.

I note also that the Galaxy phone NFC can be configured to unlock at the B pillar, an alternative that also backs up a misbehaving Bluetooth key as long as you have your phone with you.

Reactions: KlokkProjects
It can do both. You describe the NFC key (NFC = Near Field Communication). This works just like your physical key card. Using this key, you must unlock and lock the vehicle "manually" on the b-pillar. With NFC, the watch is not connected to the vehicle and therefore cannot automatically lock the vehicle when you leave. At no point should it be neccessary to take your watch off to put it on the card reader. After tapping the b-pillar to unlock, you will have quite a long time to drive off without needing to reauthorize behind the cupholder. And if you need to, you only need to tap the watch, just like you do on the b-pillar.

But you can also pair the watch as a Bluetooth key. Then it will work the way you want it to by connecting using Bluetooth. After you have paired the app with the car, you must choose which power mode you want to use. Default mode, to save the watch's battery, is that you have to open the app or swipe to the Tile to connect the Bluetooth key. Another power mode is to shake the watch to connect (screen must be lit before shake). The third power mode is that Bluetooth is always on. This power mode will affect the watch's battery usage since the watch will constantly search for the car 24/7. Choose power mode by tapping the battery/heart icon in the Tesla key settings found in the app settings menu.

20230205_213952.jpg

PS! If you have previously added the watch as a NFC key from the car's UI, you must remove this key from the car's UI before you re-pair the app as a Bluetooth key. As soon as you have paired the Bluetooth key, it will work both as an NFC key and as a Bluetooth key.

Can this do voice integration with Google Assistant? Like, can I say, "hey Google, open my trunk" or "warm up my car". I haven't tried it yet but I think Tessie has that ability.
Currently, Google does not allow this integration for third-party apps on wearables. I have had everything ready for a long time, but getting approval from the Google team seems impossible. They just reply with "Stay tuned". I guess some apps can overcome this by using the companion app on the phone, but my app is designed to run independently from the phone app (except for login), so I'll have to wait for Google to fully release this functionality.

So I have to reply the same as Google: Stay tuned...!

Reactions: JHCCAZ
It can do both. You describe the NFC key (NFC = Near Field Communication). This works just like your physical key card. Using this key, you must unlock and lock the vehicle "manually" on the b-pillar. With NFC, the watch is not connected to the vehicle and therefore cannot automatically lock the vehicle when you leave. At no point should it be neccessary to take your watch off to put it on the card reader. After tapping the b-pillar to unlock, you will have quite a long time to drive off without needing to reauthorize behind the cupholder. And if you need to, you only need to tap the watch, just like you do on the b-pillar.

But you can also pair the watch as a Bluetooth key. Then it will work the way you want it to by connecting using Bluetooth. After you have paired the app with the car, you must choose which power mode you want to use. Default mode, to save the watch's battery, is that you have to open the app or swipe to the Tile to connect the Bluetooth key. Another power mode is to shake the watch to connect (screen must be lit before shake). The third power mode is that Bluetooth is always on. This power mode will affect the watch's battery usage since the watch will constantly search for the car 24/7. Choose power mode by tapping the battery/heart icon in the Tesla key settings found in the app settings menu.

View attachment 919415

PS! If you have previously added the watch as a NFC key from the car's UI, you must remove this key from the car's UI before you re-pair the app as a Bluetooth key. As soon as you have paired the Bluetooth key, it will work both as an NFC key and as a Bluetooth key.
@KlokkProjects I've been using the app since a few weeks now. But, I'm not able to use my Samsung Galaxy watch 5 as phone app key. I think I followed your instructions in this post. I have not separately set up the watch as a NFC key. For instance, when I do unlock command to the car, it shows 'BLE timeout' error after a few seconds of trying and then unlocks the car over the internet I'm assuming. So, any command takes a long time to work, instead of instantly like the phone app. Do you have any suggestions on what might be going wrong.

@KlokkProjects I've been using the app since a few weeks now. But, I'm not able to use my Samsung Galaxy watch 5 as phone app key. I think I followed your instructions in this post. I have not separately set up the watch as a NFC key. For instance, when I do unlock command to the car, it shows 'BLE timeout' error after a few seconds of trying and then unlocks the car over the internet I'm assuming. So, any command takes a long time to work, instead of instantly like the phone app. Do you have any suggestions on what might be going wrong.

Hi, I'm sorry I haven't gotten back to you. I totally overlooked this post.
Regarding your issue, I would start by generating a new key and pairing it with the vehicle. It may seem like the key you are using will not connect.

Check out this video for instructions.

PS! The video is a bit outdated when it comes to the menus. Find the menu in the attached image. Make sure the key is disabled, then tap the Key+ icon to generate a new key. Enable the key again and follow the instructions to pair it to the vehicle. You can remove the old key from the vehicle UI before or after adding the new one.

20230205_213952.jpg

Best regards
Runar

DRIVE Electric for Tesla v3.7.6 (WearOS) - out now.
Release notes

- BETA: Use Summon to park and retrieve your vehicle.
- Using new cached data information from the Tesla API in sleep mode.
- Added "last seen" status to indicate when the vehicle last checked in with Teslas servers.
- New Wear OS guidelines require some small changes to the user interface. The touch targets need to increase, and that means slightly larger buttons and overall element sizes.
- Added vehicle position address to compass view.
- Updated Bluetooth API proto file to v4.19.5.
- Bug fixes.

20230410_133125.jpg

DRIVE Electric for Tesla v3.7.7 (WearOS) - out now.
Release notes

- Added a new Charging Stats view with the same design as the Controls Menu grid view. This design adds more information on one screen. You can set the design you want in App Settings -> Controls Menu -> Default/List/Grid.
- Increased the inner radius of the Bluetooth key from 2 to 3 meters. This is the radius around the vehicle where the key will keep the vehicle unlocked.
- Fixed Cabin Overheat Protection temperature setting.
- Changed splash screen due to new Wear OS guidelines.
- Fix for right-hand drive unlatch tile.
- Bug fixes.

20230410_135147.jpg
Screenshot_20230415_222114_driveelectricfortesla.png

Last edited:
Hello, I finally got my Model Y this week so I've been able to test out your app properly.

The Bluetooth key & commands work really well, and I love the "Unlatch" tile as my Mum has arthritis in her hands and struggles with the door handles.
The only problem is that the driver's doors and passenger doors are shown on the wrong side of the tile as my car is right hand drive.
I wonder if you could detect RHD cars and automatically put the driver's doors on the right and passenger's doors on the left?

To be clear: both icons on the left of the tile currently open the right-hand doors, and both icons on the right of the tile open the left-hand doors.

unlatch-tile.png

Hello, I finally got my Model Y this week so I've been able to test out your app properly.

The Bluetooth key & commands work really well, and I love the "Unlatch" tile as my Mum has arthritis in her hands and struggles with the door handles.
The only problem is that the driver's doors and passenger doors are shown on the wrong side of the tile as my car is right hand drive.
I wonder if you could detect RHD cars and automatically put the driver's doors on the right and passenger's doors on the left?

To be clear: both icons on the left of the tile currently open the right-hand doors, and both icons on the right of the tile open the left-hand doors.

View attachment 929833
Oh my... I never thought about that... :oops:
The API refers to driver and passenger side doors, so it would of cource be my responsibility to set those commands accordingly.

Thanks for pointing that out. Fix available in v3.7.7.

Best regards
Runar

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: [Zombie]
DRIVE Electric for Tesla v3.7.8 (WearOS) - out now.
Release notes

- Made auto secure vehicle optional. The auto secure vehicle setting will lock the doors and roll up the windows when the connected key enters outer range, approx 3 meters from the vehicle. Model X owners may want to disable this feature to prevent the falcon doors from closing prematurely.
- Added auto refresh timer to the Cold Weather view.
- Added minutes to the 'last seen' status.
- Charging Stats will now show some inactive placeholders when not charging.
- New frunk & trunk icons in Tiles.
- Sleep Mode will automatically be disabled when enabling OnApproach to avoid the long wakeup time when the command is executed.
- Fix for OnApproach not working.
- Fix for saving last known gps location in sleep mode.

20230423_161129.jpg

Last edited: