Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor DRIVE Electric for Tesla, a wearable app for Wear OS - support

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
DRIVE Electric for Tesla v3.8.0 (WearOS) - out now.
Release notes

- New feature: Release the charging cable automatically when the Bluetooth key connects to the vehicle. Enable this feature in app settings.
- Better haptic feedback when the Bluetooth key connects from the Tile view.
- The Bluetooth key will from now on not issue any unlock & drive authentication when the app's pin lock is enabled.
- When a new app update for your watch is available in production (Google Play), a small icon will show on the main screen, and a message will show on the splash screen when you close the app. Just a friendly reminder to go to your Google Play app and update.
- Fixed the non-responsive tap on the watch complication.
- Fixed an occasional crash when using OnApproach.

20230508_224056.jpg

Last edited:
Good day all!

I just upgraded my Samsung watch from Tizen to a Wear OS model. I bought the app under Tizen. How do I get the app transferred to my new watch? When I go to the Galaxy store, it wants me to buy it a 2nd time.

Thank you!

Good day all!

I just upgraded my Samsung watch from Tizen to a Wear OS model. I bought the app under Tizen. How do I get the app transferred to my new watch? When I go to the Galaxy store, it wants me to buy it a 2nd time.

Thank you!
Sorry, you can’t. The TizenOS version was written in HTML/Javascript and will not run on your new WearOS based watch. Since Samsung changed the operating system on their watches the whole app had to be completely rewritten. The eco-system has also changed and it is no longer Samsung that manages the store, but Google. The new app is designed to run on all Wear OS brands like Google, Fossil, Tic Watch, Samsung etc.

Read more about it here: https://m.facebook.com/story

The Tizen version of the app is no longer for sale. If you bought it earlier and need to reinstall the app on your Tizen watch (Samsung Galaxy Watch 3 or earlier), you can find the app on Galaxy Store -> Menu -> My Apps -> DRIVE Electric for Tesla.

Good day all!

Thank you!
Anytime you buy into a new ecosystem you have to rebuy the apps.

What you're asking is akin to buying FSD for a Tesla and then asking GM to also apply Supercruise for free to your new Cadillac. It takes lots of development time to make an app compatible with each operating system and supporting it as it's nearly an entirely new creation for each platform.

Look at the bright side, you're directly supporting the developer of an app you get ongoing use out of and will continue using it indefinitely.

Actually a lot like FSD - if you want a new car, pay full retail for FSD again and its removed from the original car. It's extremely common in my experience that software licenses are separate from the hardware - upgrades are almost always transferable.

I won't be renewing. Thanks for the earlier ride. I'm not a fan of this business model.

• Funny
Reactions: [Zombie]
Actually a lot like FSD - if you want a new car, pay full retail for FSD again and its removed from the original car. It's extremely common in my experience that software licenses are separate from the hardware - upgrades are almost always transferable.

I won't be renewing. Thanks for the earlier ride. I'm not a fan of this business model.
I respect your opinion. What each of us defines as fair and logical is individual.

However, I would like to clarify for other potential buyers that the Tizen version of this app has followed all the upgrades from the Samsung Gear S2, Gear S3, Galaxy Watch, Galaxy Watch 2 (including the bezel-less Active) and finally the Galaxy Watch 3. That Samsung chose to terminate its own proprietary operating system is very little I can do about. This decision effectively also ended my association with Samsung as a developer as my app could no longer be sold.
The Wear OS version of the app supports most brands and watches with Wear OS 2.0, Wear OS 3.0, and at the moment I'm working on adapting the app to the upcoming Wear OS 4.0.

Reactions: TomT and KArnold
Actually a lot like FSD - if you want a new car, pay full retail for FSD again and its removed from the original car. ...I won't be renewing. Thanks for the earlier ride. I'm not a fan of this business model.
I have nothing to do with it (other than being a customer of the software myself). Of course you're free to make that decision, but I don't see it as the same thing.

A few hours ago I saw the prior thread messages, and I considered posting a message defending you - because I saw you ask a simple legitimate question and then get somewhat criticized for wanting the update. At that point you hadn't expressed any strong opinion and I thought it was a reasonable question.

Regarding your last post, I don't see that @KlokkProjects pulled an FSD on you. You paid a few dollars for the original working app and then considerably later, Samsung discontinued the platform it was written for. The software continued to work until you bought a new watch running on a completely different operating system.

It's kind of like buying a modest accessory (say custom floor mats) for your car, and then they don't fit the next model of that car. It's not the fault of the accessory manufacturer and it's not an unfair business model if they don't send you free floor mats for life.

This app software, I feel, does a lot, represents a fair amount of skilled work, and it costs $9. I have two or three Galaxy watch apps for Tesla. I don't need to use them too often, but AFAIK this is the only one that duplicates the NFC key function of the key card in an official supported app.

I see that the developer already responded politely. Again I think you got prematurely criticized, and I know you're a thoughtful person from many other posts. But when you did give your view, IMO you're being kind of harsh on him. Again, the software worked for the platform you bought it, it was no kind of beta test or bait and switch, and it's Nine Dollars.

car access for people who want to exercise outside without their phone,
This is the use case I'd have for the app. I go to bootcamp-style workouts early in the morning but don't like carrying the phone with me if I can avoid it (haven't found a good way to do so that doesn't risk damage to the phone and/or cause some serious discomfort with some of the exercises). In my current ICE car I just leave it in the center console and hide the key somewhere.

My questions then are these:
1. Is a watch with LTE connection required?
2. Do the BTLE and NFC functions require being actively connected to the phone? My plan would be to leave the phone in the car and automatically disable bluetooth via Tasker for the duration of the workout (based on a calendar entry).

I won't have the keycard with me if I do this, but I figure the extra backup method would be to borrow someone else's phone and call my wife to have her unlock it via the app...

This is the use case I'd have for the app. I go to bootcamp-style workouts early in the morning but don't like carrying the phone with me if I can avoid it (haven't found a good way to do so that doesn't risk damage to the phone and/or cause some serious discomfort with some of the exercises). In my current ICE car I just leave it in the center console and hide the key somewhere.

My questions then are these:
1. Is a watch with LTE connection required?
2. Do the BTLE and NFC functions require being actively connected to the phone? My plan would be to leave the phone in the car and automatically disable bluetooth via Tasker for the duration of the workout (based on a calendar entry).

I won't have the keycard with me if I do this, but I figure the extra backup method would be to borrow someone else's phone and call my wife to have her unlock it via the app...
I occasionally test the app for NFC functionality, just to make sure everything is still ready to go in case I need it. I just did this yesterday after not trying it for a couple of months.

When I do that, I deliberately turn off Bluetooth on the phone while still out of range, which of course also disconnects the phone from the watch. My watch (Galaxy watch 5 Pro) does not have LTE.

I pull up Drive Electric on the watch, again with no phone Bluetooth or LTE, and slowly hover the watch over the lower area of the exterior the B-pillar glass, the same place you use with the key card. Poof, the car unlocks and it can only be the NFC mimicking the key card to accomplish that.

I'm not 100% sure that I even need to bring up the app on the watch, but I think this is needed to enable the NFC for the Tesla use instead of payments etc.

I hope this answers your questions above. I'm sure @KlokkProjects could add to anything I might have missed here.

I occasionally test the app for NFC functionality, just to make sure everything is still ready to go in case I need it. I just did this yesterday after not trying it for a couple of months.

When I do that, I deliberately turn off Bluetooth on the phone while still out of range, which of course also disconnects the phone from the watch. My watch (Galaxy watch 5 Pro) does not have LTE.

I pull up Drive Electric on the watch, again with no phone Bluetooth or LTE, and slowly hover the watch over the lower area of the exterior the B-pillar glass, the same place you use with the key card. Poof, the car unlocks and it can only be the NFC mimicking the key card to accomplish that.

I'm not 100% sure that I even need to bring up the app on the watch, but I think this is needed to enable the NFC for the Tesla use instead of payments etc.

I hope this answers your questions above. I'm sure @KlokkProjects could add to anything I might have missed here.

Once enabled, you don't actually need to open the app to use the NFC key. You don't even need to be logged into the watch app to use it. The requirement is that the display is on. This enables the NFC-chip on most devices. How this is implemented varies slightly between brands, but usually this is the case.
That said, the preferred way to activate the NFC key is to connect the Bluetooth key first from within the app. This will automatically activate the NFC key. However, if you don't plan to use the Bluetooth key, you can add the NFC key like any other new KeyCard, from the vehicle's user interface. If you later want to add the Bluetooth key, this NFC key must be removed from the vehicle's UI before pairing the Bluetooth key.
Both the Bluetooth interface and the NFC works without internet access, but the app itself will be a little crippled, and only a small set of commands will work over the Bluetooth connection (open/close commands).

• Informative
Reactions: JHCCAZ
DRIVE Electric for Tesla v4.0.1 (WearOS) - out now.
Release notes

- Prepared the app for the upcoming Wear OS 4.0. This means a new color scheme to match Material You. Later, it will adapt to the colors of your preferred watch face.
- Added media controls. When the vehicle UI is on and a playable source is selected, a "music note" icon appears on the app's main screen. Tap it to enter media controls and to play/pause/skip track/skip favorite and adjust volume. Super convenient while driving...
- OnApproach will now measure distance and commands will trigger closer to the vehicle.
- Bug fixes.

- Phone app (v1.0.17): removed the overeager toast message.

20230529_141611.jpg

Reactions: Noodle Asylum
DRIVE Electric for Tesla v4.0.2 - v4.1.0 (WearOS) - out now.

Highligths:
- Prepared the app for new watches running Wear OS 4.0.
- Taxi Mode - Unlatch combinations of doors from the unlatch tile.
- More commands in the main tile.
- Added possibility to enter sign-in tokens manually.
- Added a new grid layout for commands.
- Minor improvements and bug fixes.

v4.0.2 - Release notes
v4.0.3 - Release notes
v4.0.4 - Release notes
v4.0.5 - Release notes
v4.0.6 - Release notes
v4.0.7 - Release notes
v4.1.0 - Release notes

phone app v1.1.0 - Release notes
phone app beta v1.1.2 - Release notes

20230810_164136.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: JHCCAZ
I hate to use this forum for a support question, but I don't have Facebook or Reddit accounts, and there doesn't appear to be a web site. So...

Apparently my Tesla login token expired, so I had to sign in on the phone app, which worked fine - it says "A valid token is sent to the watch app". But the watch simply cycles on "select vehicle" for a long time, then says "No vehicle found. Please log in again." This repeats endlessly.

Any suggestions? This is on a Galaxy watch 5, and a Pixel 3A phone. Thanks!

I hate to use this forum for a support question, but I don't have Facebook or Reddit accounts, and there doesn't appear to be a web site. So...

Apparently my Tesla login token expired, so I had to sign in on the phone app, which worked fine - it says "A valid token is sent to the watch app". But the watch simply cycles on "select vehicle" for a long time, then says "No vehicle found. Please log in again." This repeats endlessly.

Any suggestions? This is on a Galaxy watch 5, and a Pixel 3A phone. Thanks!

Hi, there is a web site: DRIVE Electric For Tesla and email: [email protected]

Did you sign in using your main driver account? It shouldn't matter, but I had another user that needed to do that. Personally I can use both. Another tip is to restart your watch and to make sure your watch is properly connected to internet. We can continue on email, if you prefer that. Best regards Runar