Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive through car wash?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took the MY into a touchless carwash yesterday and found this odd "streaking" on the black matte exterior trim while drying the vehicle...it appears to be permanently damaged. Anyone else have this issue and/or come across a fix?

i’m so glad I saw these posts about damaging the black trim. I’d be pissed every time I laid eyes on my Tesla. I’m 67 with COPD and will have a hard time keeping my Tesla clean.

Reactions: eyedub
Can I go to a touchless powerwash car wash and just do it myself (not gonna use the brush that they have there). I was planning to go here Touchless Automatic Car Wash | Hackensack, NJ Anyone from North Jersey ever went there with their Tesla?

Not from NJ but I've used a similar touchless powerwash here in Chicago on my MY without any problems. I don't use the brush attachment but just the high and low pressure soap plus the spot free rinse. I can walk around the whole car pretty quickly and get it clean in about 10 minutes which is about $7 here total.

I avoid lingering on sensitive areas with the high pressure wash like the cameras, sensors, window seals, etc. No leaks or problems so far.

Car looks great in under 10 minutes of walking around and spraying.

Not from NJ but I've used a similar touchless powerwash here in Chicago on my MY without any problems. I don't use the brush attachment but just the high and low pressure soap plus the spot free rinse. I can walk around the whole car pretty quickly and get it clean in about 10 minutes which is about $7 here total.

I avoid lingering on sensitive areas with the high pressure wash like the cameras, sensors, window seals, etc. No leaks or problems so far.

Car looks great in under 10 minutes of walking around and spraying.

Thank you for the answer Mike_TV. This helps a lot.

While I do love hand-washing my cars, there is a drive through car wash just down the street that is really convenient. It is the type with lots of brushes and rollers and spinners etc

Should I have any reservation about taking my new MY through a drive-through car wash?

Personally, I would never take my car through an automatic car wash or even a touchless one at that. The regular drive thru auto car wash have brushes and shammys that are full of dirt and small stones from many other cars that they've cleaned that could ruin the finish on your car. Their commercial grade detergents/cleaners are too strong. Touchless auto car washes use high-powered sprayers which could damage the car's exterior, finish and the camera lenses themselves. I either hand-wash my car or take it to a detail shop that does not use any brushes, high quality automotive cleaners and new wipes for each car they work on. I paid over $70k for MY and want to take care of my investment. That's just me.

I now use a drive through car wash. Used to do the ONR bucket method, and still do from time to time. Both of my cars have Xpel from the start. For me it boils down to time. To those that say they can do the ONR in 15 minutes. I ask you. How dirty is your car? I live on a dirt road, and cars are washed every other day. For me it was 30-45 minutes. That is not a practical use of my time every other day.

Do the research on your local car wash. Inspect the system with the owner. Make sure they use the softer brushes. Some can turn off certain brushes or rollers. I don't want the rocker panel brush. It knows my car when I come in, and turns off the rocker brush. Where is the water coming from? Also see what product they use to clean the car. Mine uses Qualchem products. Some use crap. That was the only way I would consider drive through. Just a random one could leave you with a disaster.

My 116k S passes as new. So does my 3 at 73k. Then again I have Xpel. A nice hot day in the sun and looks good as new.

I now use a drive through car wash. Used to do the ONR bucket method, and still do from time to time. Both of my cars have Xpel from the start. For me it boils down to time. To those that say they can do the ONR in 15 minutes. I ask you. How dirty is your car? I live on a dirt road, and cars are washed every other day. For me it was 30-45 minutes. That is not a practical use of my time every other day.

Do the research on your local car wash. Inspect the system with the owner. Make sure they use the softer brushes. Some can turn off certain brushes or rollers. I don't want the rocker panel brush. It knows my car when I come in, and turns off the rocker brush. Where is the water coming from? Also see what product they use to clean the car. Mine uses Qualchem products. Some use crap. That was the only way I would consider drive through. Just a random one could leave you with a disaster.

My 116k S passes as new. So does my 3 at 73k. Then again I have Xpel. A nice hot day in the sun and looks good as new.

I'm scheduled for an Xpel PPF next week! Do they have to take any of the body panels off to install the PPF? I'm just having the entire front bumper, hood, front fenders, side mirrors and rocker panels done.

Also, have you had any issues with the PPF peeling on the edges? Thank you!

Automatic car washes are what they are- convenient ways to keep a car clean. I used to wash/wax my cars myself, however with 4 cars it gets old. For the past year I have used an unlimited soft scrub car wash of which costs $20.00/month. I use it for my wife's white model X- the convenience is well worth it since this a big car to wash/dry/wax by hand. The second one is my Porsche 992 of which I had the entire car PPF'd. I fell for the self healing b.s. since I thought the inevitable swirls I would get on the black car would dissipate. Not true. On the Porsche I apply a quick self sealant wax spray after the wash to give it a proper shine (do not do this on the wife's car). Overall been happy with the convenience of the car wash. And no long term side effects on any of the cameras or sensors on either car.

I'm scheduled for an Xpel PPF next week! Do they have to take any of the body panels off to install the PPF? I'm just having the entire front bumper, hood, front fenders, side mirrors and rocker panels done.

Also, have you had any issues with the PPF peeling on the edges? Thank you!

Body panels don't have to come off, but some installers will take it the extra mile for that. I would think if they feel confident about taking for example bumper off I would not stop them. Best installers will walk you through the process on your car, and show where they can wrap edges, and where they can't.

Rockers can show peeling if you use car washes with rollers to scrub the rocker area. I had that on my 3. It was fixed no charge by installer, but with a bit of a warning going forward. My S didn't have that issue. Rocker area is different.

Some people may have different experiences, but I look at the car I have with over 100k passes as a darn good looking car. Go find a car with no PPF and 100k in miles. Those cars look like one of the following:

1. Chipped hood and bumper that looks like it has been sandblasted (S60 loaner, I once clay bar'ed it and brought it back to life)
2. Had hood and various parts repainted. Some people like this idea depending on color of car.
3. Looks great. Owner drove 35 mph for a long time.

Edit: Yes it does self heal. Many a stroller mark or damage that buffs out, or using a light heat gun goes away. Lacrosse ball that had dirt on it. No dent, but dirt it came with scratched. Hair dryer that time from an extension cord in a hotel parking lot.

• Love
Reactions: tracykarin
Body panels don't have to come off, but some installers will take it the extra mile for that. I would think if they feel confident about taking for example bumper off I would not stop them. Best installers will walk you through the process on your car, and show where they can wrap edges, and where they can't.

Rockers can show peeling if you use car washes with rollers to scrub the rocker area. I had that on my 3. It was fixed no charge by installer, but with a bit of a warning going forward. My S didn't have that issue. Rocker area is different.

Some people may have different experiences, but I look at the car I have with over 100k passes as a darn good looking car. Go find a car with no PPF and 100k in miles. Those cars look like one of the following:

1. Chipped hood and bumper that looks like it has been sandblasted (S60 loaner, I once clay bar'ed it and brought it back to life)
2. Had hood and various parts repainted. Some people like this idea depending on color of car.
3. Looks great. Owner drove 35 mph for a long time.

Edit: Yes it does self heal. Many a stroller mark or damage that buffs out, or using a light heat gun goes away.

Thank you so much for the response.

I saw this article and video on *InsideEEVs* website where a white and a red Model Y had their paint peel off when PPF was being adjusted or pulled during installation - should I be concerned about this? Is there some sort of test of the paint prior to PPF install to ensure this doesn't happen?

Was your PPF pre-cut sheets or custom fitted using full sheets?

Will PPF Solve Tesla Model Y Paint Issues? Removing It Might Pull Paint Off

Again, thank you!

@tracykarin
I have not heard of paint peeling off. Could be a one off. One offs are what Youtube makes clicks on. It is recommended if the car has been been in accident, and parts are painted fresh that it have an opportunity to cure (could be wrong term) before applying PPF. Most cars sit a bit before shipping. I would guess the trip to RI was enough time.

Installers should not be stretching too much the film. Yet it looks like trim pieces that were pulling paint. That would be the areas I would expect to have issues with something like this. Plastic parts and metal seem to hold paint differently. If one of those bumpers wasn't clean. Well not surprised. Would not be concerned at all. No test I am aware of.

Custom cut in many areas, yet some pieces were template. Looks fine to me.

Reactions: tracykarin
@tracykarin
I have not heard of paint peeling off. Could be a one off. One offs are what Youtube makes clicks on. It is recommended if the car has been been in accident, and parts are painted fresh that it have an opportunity to cure (could be wrong term) before applying PPF. Most cars sit a bit before shipping. I would guess the trip to RI was enough time.

Installers should not be stretching too much the film. Yet it looks like trim pieces that were pulling paint. That would be the areas I would expect to have issues with something like this. Plastic parts and metal seem to hold paint differently. If one of those bumpers wasn't clean. Well not surprised. Would not be concerned at all. No test I am aware of.

Custom cut in many areas, yet some pieces were template. Looks fine to me.

Thank you so much again for your insight! My PY was manufactured on Jul 10th, so I sure okay as far as paint setting like you said. All the Best, Stay Safe and Enjoy your Tesla!

Last edited:
please never take your baby through a drive through car wash.

touchless is ok but I used to that too and the pressure wasn't good enough for the cost. Get a pressure washer and some class 302 for the black trim. Alot of times the water is so harsh when it dries on the trim it causes staining. The 302 acts as a barrier too.

Take a look at this video if you need any help. It helped me.

• Helpful
Reactions: eyedub