Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is hand washing the only option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So if i am understanding the manual correct i am not allowed to put the Model Y through a car wash that uses brushes that touch the car ?

In Denmark where i live we only (I have not seen any other type atleast) have this style of car wash, but it seems it is not a good idea to use these ?

Is handwashing my only option then ?

Attachments

• 24360867-bilvask.jpg
    24360867-bilvask.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 253
Where does it say that in the manual?

If washing in an automatic car wash, use touchless car washes only. These car washes have no parts (brushes, etc.) that touch the surfaces of Model Y. Some touchless car washes use caustic solutions that, over time, can cause discoloration of decorative exterior trim. Avoid exposure to soaps and chemicals above pH 13. If unsure, check the product label or ask the staff at the car wash. Damage caused by improper washing is not covered by the warranty.

Complete rubbish. Touchless car washes have their own issues, mainly high pressure water getting into places it should not, and the far-from-neutral pH used to blast off dirt and insect carcasses. And they don’t typically do a good job of getting the car clean. After foam-cannoning and hand-washing for a year I returned to rotating brush conveyor tunnel car washes in my neighborhood. Gets the car clean, the staff does a far better job vacuuming out the interior and wiping down everything inside and out including cleaning all glass surfaces…for about $25/23Euros. To date about 75 or so such car washes, no visible damage, and a nice clean car.

Reactions: csrpenfab
Handwashing using a soap cannon and a pressure washer is one good method. A rinseless wash product for in between washes also works well. Neither is practical in winter.

Become familiar with Car Wash mode including how Free Roll works. If the car wash has a conveyor track, if possible, remain in the Tesla Model Y as it goes through the car wash. If the car wash uses brushes accept that you may get some micro scratches in the paint finish.

Learn all of the foibles of Car Wash mode; Free Roll. If you shift into Neutral and not Free Roll when you are seated in the driver's seat and unbuckle your seat belt and move inside the Tesla Model Y's cabin the Tesla Model Y will immediately shift from Neutral to Park. Practice entering and exiting Free Roll mode. As you exit the car wash and start to drive the Tesla Model Y will automatically exit Car Wash mode once your speed is greater than 15 MPH.

@jcanoe explains well CarWash mode and its idiosyncracies. At our car washes, one of the managers sits in the vehicle through the car wash. They do this since they don’t know if all Teslas are on a software version that has it (somewhat unlikely today) or how to actually use it (much more likely). They do the same for our Hyundai Ioniq5 and other EVs just to be sure. Well worth the lost time compared to blocking the converyor should an issue occur.

We dont even have the car washes with the conveyor.

Here we just drive the car into the car wash and "park it", it remains stationary and a gantry with brushes either side and on top, moves back and forth, washing, cleaning and lastly airdrying the car.

Complete rubbish. Touchless car washes have their own issues, mainly high pressure water getting into places it should not, and the far-from-neutral pH used to blast off dirt and insect carcasses. And they don’t typically do a good job of getting the car clean. After foam-cannoning and hand-washing for a year I returned to rotating brush conveyor tunnel car washes in my neighborhood. Gets the car clean, the staff does a far better job vacuuming out the interior and wiping down everything inside and out including cleaning all glass surfaces…for about $25/23Euros. To date about 75 or so such car washes, no visible damage, and a nice clean car.
What SalisburySam said 👍 I have cared for two Teslas, over three+ years, and enjoyed a clean car using automated car washes. That said, the door window moldings will discolor, unless you have them apply a coating of some type. I have them dress these parts with their dash cream, or whatever molding dressing they happen to have. It's worth the slight additional charge. This has been effective in preserving mine.

Reactions: SalisburySam
Just saying
Especially if ceramic coated before, very easy to wash with ceramic safe soap and thoroughly dry with multiple microfiber cloths
Turns out amazing
The car wash chemicals, skipping the brush danger, are harsh and will harm parts
Try it, you’ll like it

my local car wash is a "shine shop" it's a conveyor wash with spinning soft foam brushes similar to what @SalisburySam described above. I'm not super happy about it, I see the paint job developing little tiny microscratches that don't matter and can't be seen by other drivers but they annoy me. After much hemming and hawing, I've decided to just go with this car wash and not hand wash. I don't want to spend time doing that among all my other home maintenance chores. What I'll probably do is get my car wrapped after 5 years of ownership because i'm sure the car will accumulate tons of paint defects over time. and most of those can't be avoided by just hand washing the car anyways.

Tesla recommends hand washing for their cars. If you take it to an automated car wash, any damage is on you. Some automated car washes are better than others. Many automated car washes also offer hand washing services.
Some have reported great results from automated car washes, other claim their vehicles were damages.

my local car wash is a "shine shop" it's a conveyor wash with spinning soft foam brushes similar to what @SalisburySam described above. I'm not super happy about it, I see the paint job developing little tiny microscratches that don't matter and can't be seen by other drivers but they annoy me. After much hemming and hawing, I've decided to just go with this car wash and not hand wash. I don't want to spend time doing that among all my other home maintenance chores. What I'll probably do is get my car wrapped after 5 years of ownership because i'm sure the car will accumulate tons of paint defects over time. and most of those can't be avoided by just hand washing the car anyways.
I do the same and don't stress about it. It's a car, after all, and is going to get dirty, dented and dinged if you use it.

Reactions: csrpenfab
Handwashing using a soap cannon and a pressure washer is one good method. A rinseless wash product for in between washes also works well. Neither is practical in winter.

Become familiar with Car Wash mode including how Free Roll works. If the car wash has a conveyor track, if possible, remain in the Tesla Model Y as it goes through the car wash. If the car wash uses brushes accept that you may get some micro scratches in the paint finish.

Learn all of the foibles of Car Wash mode; Free Roll. If you shift into Neutral and not Free Roll when you are seated in the driver's seat and unbuckle your seat belt and move inside the Tesla Model Y's cabin the Tesla Model Y will immediately shift from Neutral to Park. Practice entering and exiting Free Roll mode. As you exit the car wash and start to drive the Tesla Model Y will automatically exit Car Wash mode once your speed is greater than 15 MPH.
I've just been shifting into Neutral for the roller-wheel-track type of car wash. It's a little tricky getting out as you have to hit the brake to shift from Neutral to Drive. You don't want to get caught with your brakes on when the last roller pushes you out and if there is a car right behind you that can make it a bit stressful.

Either that or we've been going to a drive in and park wash. These take ~10 minutes per car though. If there are two cars in line already, I leave.

So what's the order of operations using Free Roll? The car was attendant points at the sign that says shift into neutral and hands off steering wheel and starts you off. I don't think he realizes Tesla owners have to fiddle a few menus deep for car wash mode and free roll.

I've just been shifting into Neutral for the roller-wheel-track type of car wash. It's a little tricky getting out as you have to hit the brake to shift from Neutral to Drive. You don't want to get caught with your brakes on when the last roller pushes you out and if there is a car right behind you that can make it a bit stressful.

Either that or we've been going to a drive in and park wash. These take ~10 minutes per car though. If there are two cars in line already, I leave.

So what's the order of operations using Free Roll? The car was attendant points at the sign that says shift into neutral and hands off steering wheel and starts you off. I don't think he realizes Tesla owners have to fiddle a few menus deep for car wash mode and free roll.
When starting out at an automatic car wash that uses a track to pull the vehicle into the car wash you need to shift the Model Y into Neutral. You may be better off selecting the Free Roll setting (same as Neutral) from within the Car Wash mode (Car Wash mode is found under the Service Settings) rather than pushing up on the shift lever half way for ~1 second. Pushing up too far on the lever will cause the Model Y to shift into Reverse. You have to be stopped, with your foot on the brake pedal to enter Free Roll.

You can also use Car Wash mode when hand washing the Tesla Model Y or using one of the stationary automatic drive-in bay car washes. Car Wash mode automatically performs multiple functions so you don't have to remember them all. Car Wash mode will unlock the doors, lock the charging port cover, turn on recirculate cabin air (this setting should help keep water from the car wash from entering the HVAC system) and close the windows. (At one time Car Wash mode would automatically close the windows, not sure if it still does.) You can optionally fold the mirrors. You must manually select the Free Roll function to activate this function.

The trickier part is when exiting an automatic car wash with a track you need apply the brake pedal briefly in the Model Y before you can shift from Free Roll (Neutral) into Drive. The Tesla Model Y's wheels may jump out of the track when the brakes are applied. If there is a vehicle behind the Model Y and the Model Y gets hung up exiting the car wash there is a chance of the following vehicle hitting the rear of the Model Y. You don't need to turn off Car Wash mode when driving away from the car wash as the Tesla Model Y will automatically exit Car Wash mode when the Model Y is being driven faster than XX miles per hour (this is a low speed, I forget the value).

Last edited:
Reactions: Noflash
When starting out at an automatic car wash that uses a track to pull the vehicle into the car wash you need to shift the Model Y into Neutral. You may be better off selecting the Free Roll setting (same as Neutral) from within the Car Wash mode (Car Wash mode is found under the Service Settings) rather than pushing up on the shift lever half way for ~1 second. Pushing up too far on the lever will cause the Model Y to shift into Reverse. You have to be stopped, with your foot on the brake pedal to enter Free Roll.

You can also use Car Wash mode when hand washing the Tesla Model Y or using one of the stationary automatic drive-in bay car washes. Car Wash mode automatically performs multiple functions so you don't have to remember them all. Car Wash mode will unlock the doors, lock the charging port cover, turn on recirculate cabin air (this setting should help keep water from the car wash from entering the HVAC system) and close the windows. (At one time Car Wash mode would automatically close the windows, not sure if it still does.) You can optionally fold the mirrors. You must manually select the Free Roll function to activate this function.

The trickier part is when exiting an automatic car wash with a track you need apply the brake pedal briefly in the Model Y before you can shift from Free Roll (Neutral) into Drive. The Tesla Model Y's wheels may jump out of the track when the brakes are applied. If there is a vehicle behind the Model Y and the Model Y gets hung up exiting the car wash there is a chance of the following vehicle hitting the rear of the Model Y. You don't need to turn off Car Wash mode when driving away from the car wash as the Tesla Model Y will automatically exit Car Wash mode when the Model Y is being driven faster than XX miles per hour (this is a low speed, I forget the value).
Thanks for the sanity-check. This is what I assumed, I just think Tesla is a little crazy assuming the general population can handle this. I"m sure they think it's a safety issue to force the brake application between D&N. I can't think of another car brand that forces this. I did NOT know you could drive in car wash mode, so that is very helpful.

In a related idiosyncrasy, every morning when I get in the car I immediately step on the brake, put the car in drive, start creeping forward, put my phone in it's mount, close the garage door, and buckle my seatbelt as I'm pulling into my street. If I let my foot off the gas pedal and the car senses it is coasting without the driver's seatbelt fastened, it slams the car into park - full stop. I'm sure that is all safety-based, but it makes me keep my foot on the gas while multi-tasking the morning departure routine. ( I guess I better put my flame suit on)

Thought I'd drop this here, though not particularly helpful:

Car Wash Mode​

When taking Model Y to a car wash, Car Wash Mode closes all windows, locks the charge port, and disables windshield wipers, Sentry Mode, walk-away door locking, and parking sensor chimes. To enable, touch Controls > Service > Car Wash Mode. Your vehicle must be stationary and not actively charging.
If using an automatic car wash, Enable Free Roll keeps your vehicle in Neutral and activates free roll for the duration of the wash, while preventing Model Y from applying the Parking brake if you leave the driver's seat. To enable, press on the brake pedal and touch Enable Free Roll; or shift into Neutral.
Car Wash Mode disables if the vehicle's speed exceeds 9 mph (15 km/h) or by touching Exit on the touchscreen.
CAUTION
Failure to put Model Y in Car Wash Mode may result in damage (for example, to the charge port or windshield wipers). Damage caused by car washes is not covered by the warranty.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: jcanoe