Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive Unit To Be Replaced - Mississauga SC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was at the Mississauga SC this past week for a list of items including my roof leaking (again), heat stopping working, and clunking under the car. I think it was only the lack of heat that got me in so quickly because they initially mentioned a multi-week wait.

One of my items in my last few visits over the last year was the drive unit hum and tweet sounds. Each time I had them check, they said it was at acceptable levels and did nothing.

This time, all of those same symptoms were present but now there is a rattle and clunk sound as well. They finally agreed that the drive unit needs replacing but said they will need to order one and ask me to come back once it has arrived. I also need the winter brake package which they diagnosed last May but still had not ordered so I'll need to wait for those parts as well. Does anyone else think the level of service is slipping?

This leads me to some questions to those that have had this done:
1. How long is the wait normally to get a D/U shipped to Mississauga?
2. Should I be worried about the clunk causing a failure before they can fix it?
3. How long does the process take once they have the parts?
4. Is there anything I should look for on the new D/U?
5. Are there other issues about the replacement I should know or ask about?
6. Is there anything special (good or bad) about the Mississauga SC performing this work?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Don

I was told my DU replacement would be scheduled when they had parts. I need to follow up because that was quite a while ago (close to a year, I think). I have the milling sound from the DU and the clunk from the DU. They did tell me it's only a "cosmetic" problem and wouldn't lead to an outright failure hence my lack of urgency in following up.

I had a rattle from the suspension that they said they couldn't find. A few months later, when the car was in for it's "annual" they reported a broken stabilizer link. Once fixed, my rattle was gone.

6. Is there anything special (good or bad) about the Mississauga SC performing this work?

I think you're overthinking it. Just like any other Tesla SC, Mississauga SC has been more than great with me since I moved to Mississauga city. Your DU has been and will be under warranty, so I wouldn't worry too much about the replacement unit. It's an easy job that takes less than a day once they have it. The new unit should be way better than what you already have.

I think you're overthinking it. Just like any other Tesla SC, Mississauga SC has been more than great with me since I moved to Mississauga city. Your DU has been and will be under warranty, so I wouldn't worry too much about the replacement unit. It's an easy job that takes less than a day once they have it. The new unit should be way better than what you already have.

Absolutely. The folks at Tranmere are great, and I hope they never close that shop. They did my first DU replacement and it was ready the same day. Back then, I had brought the car in for a DU problem and they had analysed the problem and replaced it by the time I came to pick it up later the same day.

They do try to stock replacement parts, but it can be luck of the draw whether they used it already when you get there.

Tesla service has has been uniformly great. Sometimes you have to wait for it because they are busy. But if your car is "off the road" they pull out the stops to fix it.

Mine went in the summer and they towed it the next morning on a flatbread to Tranmere and then Lawrence that afternoon . It was replaced Monday and I got it back the next day. They gave me a loaner as well.
They told me they always should have DU in. However, with more cars on the road all the time, that may not be the case now.

Flatbed it should be. Flatbread wouldn't be strong enough. LOL!

Last edited: