Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver Profile Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car selects my partner’s profile every single time, when she’s a passenger, and most of the time when I’m alone in the car and her phone is in the house. My phone was set up first, is set as priority in settings - makes no difference. I think it might be happening because she drives it more often, but secretly think the car is trolling me.

This is the exact behaviour I was seeing. Do you both use the same Tesla account by any chance? I don't seem to have the issue anymore since creating a second Tesla account.

Have had the same thing off and on for a long time now. Sometimes it's really bad. Like others said, it almost always chooses my partner's setting and she's much shorter than me. Thought setting primary on mine (and having driver profiles assigned) would help, but it doesn't. I agree it has to be possible for the car to know my phone is closer (triangulation or just plain signal strength). So annoying.

Have had the same thing off and on for a long time now. Sometimes it's really bad. Like others said, it almost always chooses my partner's setting and she's much shorter than me. Thought setting primary on mine (and having driver profiles assigned) would help, but it doesn't. I agree it has to be possible for the car to know my phone is closer (triangulation or just plain signal strength). So annoying.
My wife is much shorter than me and I can't get in the car if the seats are set to her setting. Likewise she can't press the brake pedal if it's set to my setting. The easy fix is to set both keys to Easy Entry Profile and then choose the profile when you get in the car. We have Easy Entry set to a middle distance where I can get in and she can press the brake pedal.
The car will always default to the last profile used, which if one driver uses the car more often works out quite well.

So I have an issue with my driver profile selection. I have two driver profiles on the car, we both have iPhones, myself a 12 and the other driver a 13 and we are both logged in to the same Tesla account.

I was added to the car first, and the second driver after.

Any time I go and open the car and press the brake, the second drivers profile is selected, even if they're nowhere near the car.

I've noticed if I go to Keys -> Locks I can see both phones are marked as active even if the second drivers phone is in the house and nowhere near the car. Is this causing the issue?

Have I missed something somewhere that it is struggling to select my profile instead of the second drivers when in the car?
I and my wife have 2 profiles. I see no pattern in the way it selects the driver profile. Sometimes my wife is not even close by and her profile gets selected.
It seems more like a random choice than proximity to device.

Any update on this? I usually get squished by seat moving forward to my shorter wife's setting. I drive much more than she does. Is there any official doc on profile selection algorithm?
Set both profiles to easy entry and then choose your profile when you get in the car. If you drive more often then you rarely have to chose your own profile as it defaults to the last one used.

Reactions: John1501