Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver side condenser fan not kicking on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi y’all any idea if there is a sensor that triggers the condenser fans to kick on? The passenger side is at full blast while the driver side one is not turning on at all. I’ve ruled out the control modelices they are attached to and are both working fine when switched to the other side. I’ve even went as far as connecting the condenser fan over to the passenger side and it kicks on like normal. I have an upcoming appointment and based on the over the air diagnostics they are wanting to replace the a/c compressor unit. Which sounds wrong to me since the ac is working just fine. The only time it gives me any issues is when charging in the 100+ degree Arizona heat, one condenser fan can’t keep up and it blows hot air, but once I start driving again and there is airflow through the driver condenser everything works fine.

sounds like a relay or fuse has gone out if you can jerry rig it to work off the other side and it works.
full open the fuse box and swap the relays for the left and right if the problem then changes to the opposite side then just buy a new relay they are like 5 bucks at AutoZone.
As far as which one is which you're gonna need to google the fuse box diagram, since you didn't mention which year/model car you have i cant look it up for you but there are a few diagrams out there. on my 2014 P85D looking at a diagram it is the #70 and #71 monster large 40A fuses that controls the L/R condenser fans.

If it’s any use here is a image of corresponding relays on cars from 2016

edited to be correct
784EEFEE-404A-4AD7-8853-617927BBDFA5.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks, but my fuse/relay box is not looking like that.. There is 2 separate boxes.. one of them has 2 fuses for the Fans (one for each).. but only one relay for both fans..

I think my Thermal controller might be faulty..

If it’s any use here is a image of corresponding relays on cars until 2016
that is the fuse box crap for cars AFTER 2016 i think even some 2015's have the updated fuse boxes. 😂
Below is the stuff for the earlier models, in my previous post I mention large fuses that is in box #3 fuse# 71 and 72.

As far as the relays i dono which one controls what because no website seems to post info about the relays, however it is very easy to test relays, (Just google something like test automotive relays) and you can buy any one of them at AutoZone for a couple bucks because relays are like fuses and they are not specific to a brand of car.

I would recommend trying all DIY at home options before paying a diag fee from taking the car to tesla.

Also if your fuses are good you can do a super reboot before bothering to check the relays, it fixed my A/C once and it also fixed my power steering another time.

1) unplug car from charge cable
2) roll down drivers window
3) disconnect 12v negative off the battery.
4) disconnect the fireman's loop
5) open driver's door and let car sit for 10-15 min.
6) reverse all last directions for reassembly.
7) road test car and see if the issue is fixed

box.jpg
fuse.jpg

Hi y’all any idea if there is a sensor that triggers the condenser fans to kick on? The passenger side is at full blast while the driver side one is not turning on at all. I’ve ruled out the control modelices they are attached to and are both working fine when switched to the other side. I’ve even went as far as connecting the condenser fan over to the passenger side and it kicks on like normal. I have an upcoming appointment and based on the over the air diagnostics they are wanting to replace the a/c compressor unit. Which sounds wrong to me since the ac is working just fine. The only time it gives me any issues is when charging in the 100+ degree Arizona heat, one condenser fan can’t keep up and it blows hot air, but once I start driving again and there is airflow through the driver condenser everything works fine.
I have the same problem in a refresh 2016

What did you finally end up finding as the cause?

Finally figured it out. There is a relay K31 located beside the 12v battery that contains relays for both left and right side fan controllers. Replaced the relay and that fixed it
I'm on the same boat with RH fan not running on Nov/Dec 2015 Model S 70D that has the newer fuse box. I can't seem to find the relay. Wiring Diagram shows X564 Connector and its just to the right of the fuse box. Is this where you found the relays?

Diagram.jpg
Location.jpg

I'm on the same boat with RH fan not running on Nov/Dec 2015 Model S 70D that has the newer fuse box. I can't seem to find the relay. Wiring Diagram shows X564 Connector and its just to the right of the fuse box. Is this where you found the relays?

View attachment 944622View attachment 944623
I think they may have had a typo, it looks like based on the diagram you provided K21 would be your fuse

I have the same issue on a early 2015 MS and it looks like fuse F72 may be the issue on my end. I am going to give it a new fuse and see if that fixes the same issue

For everyone as well, are you experiencing issues with the lower louvre for the front right not closing? I am getting the fan issue but my door is also stuck open

1686168885076.png

I think they may have had a typo, it looks like based on the diagram you provided K21 would be your fuse

I have the same issue on a early 2015 MS and it looks like fuse F72 may be the issue on my end. I am going to give it a new fuse and see if that fixes the same issue

For everyone as well, are you experiencing issues with the lower louvre for the front right not closing? I am getting the fan issue but my door is also stuck open

View attachment 944815
Fuses are F150 and F155 listed in there. Just got to open it up again and can confirm on my Nov 2015 70D K21 listed has the two relays. Oreily's and Autozone did not have it. Really was hoping would put this issue past me :).

This won't apply to everyone, since some have swapped the relays and seen the fan work, but don't forget the possibility that a fan may have physically failed. My driver side fan's bearings were loud on shutdown for about three months before finally going out and needing to be replaced.