Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 model s p90d - 12v battery replaced now A/C issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

Driving the other day and got a vehicle may not restart code. Got it home thankfully once I got out it turned to can’t start low voltage. Contacted Tesla and they informed as suspected 12v battery went bad. (It was actually the original). Replaced the battery and everything was fine until I turned on the A/C. Only hot air.

- Seems loud as normal with A/C on.
- Did a power down reset like I’ve seen posted multiple times with no change.
- Went to the supercharger and the fans start to ramp up like normal but shut right off after about 10 seconds. (Never did that before). It did that multiple times.
- Side louvers never opened.
- Temp was about 90 degrees outside.
- No codes in car but when I went on the app to set an appointment up for service it auto generated “Air conditioning temporarily reduced/Vehicle systems being cooled” as the service.

Any one have experience with this?

It sounds like you have alerts that are viewable in Service Mode that do not show up on the instrument cluster. If you're curious to fix it yourself, enter Service Mode by going to your center touchscreen menu with the car in Park (typically you'll want to lower the driver side window or leave the door open...HVAC and music will stop), go to Software on the left menu, press and hold your finger over the "Model S" logo for 5 seconds and release, spell out "service" at the prompt to enter Service Mode.

From there you can check the alerts that the Service Technicians see. You can tap on them to expand the details to see if there's a clear remedy. Take a screenshot of the alerts and report back what you see. You can go one further and search for each of the codes to see what the issue and fix is. It could be as simple as a fuse or relay might be out.

Thank you very much! I really appreciate it. There are 3 active codes

THC_w0134_radRightShutrNoFeedbk
THC w0130 radLeftShutrNoFeedbk
THC d0018 activeAero

Attachments

• 2D17E8EF-1446-4D11-83AE-432B6A403047.jpeg
    2D17E8EF-1446-4D11-83AE-432B6A403047.jpeg
    255.4 KB · Views: 173
It sounds like you have alerts that are viewable in Service Mode that do not show up on the instrument cluster. If you're curious to fix it yourself, enter Service Mode by going to your center touchscreen menu with the car in Park (typically you'll want to lower the driver side window or leave the door open...HVAC and music will stop), go to Software on the left menu, press and hold your finger over the "Model S" logo for 5 seconds and release, spell out "service" at the prompt to enter Service Mode.

From there you can check the alerts that the Service Technicians see. You can tap on them to expand the details to see if there's a clear remedy. Take a screenshot of the alerts and report back what you see. You can go one further and search for each of the codes to see what the issue and fix is. It could be as simple as a fuse or relay might be out.
Forgot to tag you in the post above!

Thank you very much! I really appreciate it. There are 3 active codes

THC_w0134_radRightShutrNoFeedbk
THC w0130 radLeftShutrNoFeedbk
THC d0018 activeAero

So the next thing you can do in Service Mode is the Thermal Test will ask you to press and hold the brake and the right-turn (might be left, I don't remember) signal for a few seconds. This will take about 5 minutes and will sequence the A/C, radiator fans, louvers, and heater. It will also give you a status report of all the components and might spell out what passed, what failed, and might clear up some of those codes. I used to have the activeAero and radrightshutrnofeedbk alerts too, but now just have the radiator right shutter no feedback alert (even though the louver opens and closes just fine and with the fan running). The next time I Supercharge, I use my Flir thermal imager and see check to see if the temperature at both side radiators are giving suspicious readouts.

If your shutters aren't opening and closing, I would first check the fuses for those then ask Tesla Service if those louvers are broken and need replacing. Good luck with everything. It seems like this is not an uncommon issue to come across:

You can also Google search around to find the schematic of the fuse locations. I believe you said you have a 2016 so this might be useful:

So the next thing you can do in Service Mode is the Thermal Test will ask you to press and hold the brake and the right-turn (might be left, I don't remember) signal for a few seconds. This will take about 5 minutes and will sequence the A/C, radiator fans, louvers, and heater. It will also give you a status report of all the components and might spell out what passed, what failed, and might clear up some of those codes. I used to have the activeAero and radrightshutrnofeedbk alerts too, but now just have the radiator right shutter no feedback alert (even though the louver opens and closes just fine and with the fan running). The next time I Supercharge, I use my Flir thermal imager and see check to see if the temperature at both side radiators are giving suspicious readouts.

If your shutters aren't opening and closing, I would first check the fuses for those then ask Tesla Service if those louvers are broken and need replacing. Good luck with everything. It seems like this is not an uncommon issue to come across:

You can also Google search around to find the schematic of the fuse locations. I believe you said you have a 2016 so this might be useful:

Thank you! Much appreciated my friend.

@sikintentionz If you want to tinker more with your car, you can also check this thread (post 196 and later), where I have explained the SW process how to make at least the side louvers working correctly again (and clean the corresponding faults) in case they're not mechanically blocked/damaged. I'm now having the same RadShutterNoFeedbk faults as you as I'm not sure how to force those louvers to move, but will figure it out hopefully soon. Good luck anyway!