Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver Side Window scratching chrome opon closure of door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
really hard to describe but i'll do my best and i'm wondering what i did wrong - or if there is something wrong.

I was installing a puddle light in my driver side door. Simple installation....open door, pop out stock light, unplug, and plug in new one. stick back up there.

Problem occured while my door was opened, evidently. unbeknownst to me, the window rolled all the way up. Didn't notice it and i have no idea why. So, unfortunately, when i went to close my door, it did not close and the glass banged into the chrome up by the side view mirror. I obviously opened it and re-inspected the puddle light, as i thought i didn't push it back up in there or it didn't fit or something. so i went to gingerly close it again, and realized it was the window that was fully rolled up. scratched the CRAP outta my chrome and who knows what other internal damage happened.

has this happened to anyone before? did i do something wrong? wtf? and do you think i could get Tesla to pony up to replace/repair the chrome?

Thanks!

Is this your first frameless window car? Frameless windows will get out of sync sometimes and that seemed to have happened when you were working on the door. When it's really cold and there's condensation/moisture on the windows they can freeze in place too and if you aren't observant you can end up closing the door against the car with the window all the way up with a similar result.

Why should Tesla should be extending "goodwill' to this situation?

That sucks, hate that your 3 got damaged. This is listed in every instruction manual and video about replacing the puddle lights. When you disconnect the factory light, the car thinks that the door has been closed and rolls up the window, when the new light is correctly installed the car will automatically roll it back down. Tesla won't cover the damage, but this sounds like a perfect excuse to do a chrome delete.

Reactions: bigroo42
uh...yes it is. i've literally open and closed the door 30 times give or take (only had the car a few days)

if the trunk latch didn't work like expected and, hypothetically, there was a piece of metal that extended down and scratched my bumper, i would kind of expect them to help out.

lesson learned, i guess. i have to consciously pay attention to the window level each time i shut the door? i think that's a bit absurd...

thank you for your compassionate, informative response. This explains the behavior of the window. So i can now have the confidence to shut the door (unless i am installing puddle lights).

i did indeed read all the instructions on the puddle lights. however, the instructions were written in broken English and not very detailed. lesson learned when i install the passenger side.

consequently, the puddle light turned on and seemed to be installed correctly, and i waited a good minute or so and the window did not roll back down. ah well

Windows should be all the way down before closing a frameless door during service.

Service manual, service technician or
An install video would have warned you.

That said during an appointment show the scratched Chrome and ask about window alignment.
Maybe they will have mercy on you.

Sorry you damaged your car. It's been over a year since I did the puddle light replacement, but I remember the window going up while the door was open too. This was before there were good videos or instructions showing what to expect, so I thought I broke something. Went back to normal after lowering the window and resetting it's position (did not go back up automatically when the new light was installed).

uh...yes it is. i've literally open and closed the door 30 times give or take (only had the car a few days)

if the trunk latch didn't work like expected and, hypothetically, there was a piece of metal that extended down and scratched my bumper, i would kind of expect them to help out.

lesson learned, i guess. i have to consciously pay attention to the window level each time i shut the door? i think that's a bit absurd...

Sorry for the rude intro to the world of frameless window cars. You are not the only one that has damaged the trim either for this reason or frozen windows if that helps. I'm sure it doesn't, but you're not alone. I almost smashed my frozen window into the frame but something caused me to look at the door before I did and noticed it's position thankfully. I live in the bay area and while we do get below freezing during the winter I never thought I had to worry about frozen windows before. Learned from our more northern members that you can apply a silicone spray or gel to the door seal so it doesn't stick. I ended up having to carefully close the door as close to the car as possible with the heater/defroster pointed at the side until the window warmed up and could be lowered manually. Preheating the car will also help in this situation as well, but still watch the position of the window. Don't know if your part of Texas gets cold enough but thought worth mentioning to you as a new owner.

BTW as far as needing to consciously paying attention to your car window, you really do want to pay attention that your window goes up all the way up when you exit as well. Otherwise it means the car door hasn't closed completely. Until your door seals are broken in with use, you may find you need to close the door harder to fully close. People have not completely closed their door and walked away thinking it would lock on walkaway (if set for it) and it won't, so anyone could gain access. Make sure you listen for the honk if you have it set for that and check your app to see if it locked if you don't hear it and have walked a distance already. Also if you have the side mirrors that will close on exit, that's another visible indicator (don't think all models come with this). In any event if your door doesn't close, if you glance over at your center screen the image of your car will show a door open (unless I think it's the trunk or frunk).

Last edited:
@bigroo42 I added more to my above post so hope you go back and re-read it.

Oh and from lesson I learned on another car when I lived in the midwest in the freezing weather, don't run your wipers unless you know they aren't frozen to the windshield. I messed up the motor to mine requiring a replacement.

The forum is great for learning about the experiences of others. Tough to be the one experiencing first hand.

Last edited:
Happened in Winter to some cars in Canada. They got it replaced under warranty. The windows froze, and didn't roll down an inch when the door opened, so when the owners closed the door, the glass scratched the chrome trim, just like yours.

https://www.amazon.com/Projector-Ac...07PJ6GYWP/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I just went to check on the reviews of this product and couldn't help but notice it says for model x and model s....model 3 not included in teh description. anybody see any harm in installing these in my model 3? they fit snug. but i nothing about electronics! HA! so i don't want to catch my car on fire!!!! please lend your opinion. Thanks!

Happened in Winter to some cars in Canada. They got it replaced under warranty. The windows froze, and didn't roll down an inch when the door opened, so when the owners closed the door, the glass scratched the chrome trim, just like yours.

Hi Ken,
I saw your comment about the trims being replaced in Canada under warranty...
I faced the same issue a few weeks ago when temps. vent below zero just after a rainy weather period.
All my windows froze and my wive dented the LH trim when entering the car!
I contacted the local service center and they refused to replace the trim under warranty. Instead, they quoted about 300 CHF for the repair.

For me, this is a clear design failure!
I know, designed in California - but sold world wide - also in Switzerland!

One out of very few frustrating moments with my TM3...

Hi Ken,
I saw your comment about the trims being replaced in Canada under warranty...
I faced the same issue a few weeks ago when temps. vent below zero just after a rainy weather period.
All my windows froze and my wive dented the LH trim when entering the car!
I contacted the local service center and they refused to replace the trim under warranty. Instead, they quoted about 300 CHF for the repair.

For me, this is a clear design failure!
I know, designed in California - but sold world wide - also in Switzerland!

One out of very few frustrating moments with my TM3...
Very unfortunate. It was in Ontario and Quebec, Canada back in Winter 2018/2019 when some owners reported that the service centers were replacing the trim under warranty. I’m not sure what the policy is now. I would try asking at another service center.