Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drivers door does not latch at times...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife has a 2018 Model 3, early production around 10,000 vin number. Recently when we try to close the door after getting in we pull on the handle to close the door and it closes however it does not latch. We have to pull the door again and it latches correctly. So does anybody else have an issue like this? I am going to contact the service center and see what they have to say about this issue. It is very strange like some type of electrical issue with the latch. Almost as if the button on the inside of the door handle is getting activated and closing the latch on the door. When we try to close the door it just bounces off the catch ring. So I Just tried it just now and it did bounce. I made sure my hand was not in the location of the door (open) button. She drives it mostly and she only uses the drivers door so not sure if the other doors are having issues. She said she has never had any of the other doors malfunction.

Thank You
Tony

Had a similar issue on one of the four doors, but it was noticable when attempting to close the door from the outside. (It would not latch fully or sometimes bounce).

SC took care of the issue and fixed it. Turned out a striker on that particular door had to be adjusted/realigned. My gut feeling is a local SC or mobile SC can take care of your issue too.

Was it cold and wet outside? I had this issue after I washed my car and did not dry out the out the handles good enough. The problem went away after a night in my warm garage. Basically the car was thinking that I still had the handle pulled on the outside.

That’s exactly what the problem was. However it sticks in the out position. I had to spray the little gear and spring
734E5D4F-71FE-42DC-8FFB-636DC7B13F09.jpeg
59C357A8-AD80-4BB0-9D76-18F274A35AB3.jpeg
inside the handle with silicone spray and now it works great.