Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver's door latch broken - no parts available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm wondering if others have had the same issue that I'm having now. About 4 weeks ago, my drivers door ceased to open when pressing any of the buttons. The only way to get it open is to physically pull the inside release while pushing out hard from the inside. Obviously not good. The diagnosis was that the latch was broken and that both latches needed to be replaced. Service was schedule for a week out. Then delayed 2 weeks due to no parts. Then the team finally accepted the car a week ago, but they still not only have no parts... they have no ETA for getting the parts.

I have a few issues
1) I need parts to appear to get my car back
2) There seems to be nobody to contact in corporate to let them know about this issue
3) I am being asked to pay for something because the car is out of warranty but this is CLEARLY a design/quality issue that Tesla should comp (see problem #2)

I don't really expect anyone to be able to help... but I'd certainly accept any advice or commiseration offered. Kinda hoping that someone from Tesla will see this. I love both of my Teslas. I like my local service team... BUT at a corporate level, Tesla service is awful and it makes it hard to recommend the car to friends.
I have had the exact feeling. Bad design for sure. I don't agree with negative replies that the newer redesign is just an improvement. It must be a design correction. Could not agree more on 'hard to recommend friends'.
Tesla uses well below industry standard parts. I have NO doubt that.

With the people who have had the invoice adjusted - can you please post the entire invoice? Sure, blank out your VIN and your name / address, that's fine, but we need to see the specific parts and labor codes, especially if this is being adjusted under a specific TSB which may just have billing and pricing instructions within.

Like the half shaft TSB, that has billing instructions that mean you might be quoted $2500 for the repair.... But the ACTUAL paid amount is $350. This is that important!