Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X - Driver door flying open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently took delivery of a new MX. This is after they removed the sensors on the front door, and from my understanding is that the doors should only open 10 degrees.

However, on several occasions, the driver side door flew open and hit the other car in my garage. Tesla Service center admits this is definitely an issue and not normal. However, they are still telling me to file a claim to repair the other car.

I have Tesla insurance so I would imagine the premium wouldn’t change too much now, but if I ever switch insurance providers, that claim would show up even though it was 100% a manufacturing defect resulting in me having a higher premium.

Should I still file a claim or is there another approach to take to keep Tesla accountable for the repairs needed on my other car?

I recently took delivery of a new MX. This is after they removed the sensors on the front door, and from my understanding is that the doors should only open 10 degrees.

However, on several occasions, the driver side door flew open and hit the other car in my garage. Tesla Service center admits this is definitely an issue and not normal. However, they are still telling me to file a claim to repair the other car.

I have Tesla insurance so I would imagine the premium wouldn’t change too much now, but if I ever switch insurance providers, that claim would show up even though it was 100% a manufacturing defect resulting in me having a higher premium.

Should I still file a claim or is there another approach to take to keep Tesla accountable for the repairs needed on my other car?

No sense to filing a claim if the problem is ongoing. I would document it with pictures and consider filing a claim (with Tesla if possible, not your insurance) for all the damage at once.

Upvote 0
Yeah, never file a claim with your own insurance provider. It will raise rates regardless of fault. You need to file a claim with Tesla instead.

Unfortunately, knowing what Tesla is like, they'll probably refuse to pay out, saying it's "user error."

Plus. Tesla insurance is known to increase rates after the first few months. They're actually one of the more expensive insurance companies, at least for me.

Reactions: towndrunk and ngng
Upvote 0